Carnivore breakfast

Hi everyone, my body is going through some odd changes right now. It has been gradually turning carnivore and now only seems to want those foods, having apparently lost interest in carbs. It is instead craving bacon and coffee with cream. On some days I will still eat eggs, but I don’t even feel like having them every day. It depends what foods are available. When the fridge is fully stocked on meat and fish I now tend to go for that only, but if I’m low on such items I turn to eggs. What it seems to me is keto changes the body from craving carbs to fat, so there can be new cravings but they revolve around meat and fat. Though it’s curious how I crave bacon, but never fish even though the latter makes my body sing, but it’s meat the body appears predominantly to want. I still don’t follow any particular plan, just let my body decide, but it is curious to me when thinking of my previous high carb, low fat diet that I’ve lost my interest now entirely in carbs.

Beauty pic of your carnivore meal. YUM

Yes as our bodies become more metabolically stable and we heal and repair damage and hormones re-balance and we have a ‘well nutritionally fed body’ it will crave what it wants, animal protein and fat.
That is all it really needs :slight_smile:

You are doing a great job on listening.

I also had a love hate affair with eggs. When I started ZC I ate tons of eggs as a side to meat til that day, bam, I just didn’t want them anymore…not even as a side ever. Only time I eat egg now is a bacon/cheese omelet or I put an egg in burger to make a zc meatloaf.
Other that eggs just are off my list ‘of wants’. Now my body wants full on nutrition animal heavy dense protein and fat intake. I love sardines as a dessert :slight_smile:

don’t forget surf and turf options also. I sure love steak and shrimp, or you could so small piece of salmon and a steak? whatever floats your boat.

Just change with how your body says to eat. You can never go wrong with just that on carnivore. It shows us how to eat for each of us.
Happy you are doing so well!

Hi Fangs. In truth I was never that keen on eggs unless I had them with bacon. I wouldn’t eat an omelette on its own, unless I loaded it with cream and cheese, or ham. In the way of fish and seafood my current favourite is smoked mackarel. I fry it up in the pan with plenty of butter and it’s delicious. Prawns are like a treat I don’t allow myself often because you get so few and they’re expensive. My favourite go to food I think in this christmas period will be bacon and all manner of pork I can get my hands on, and chicken legs. Had some last night and the fantastic taste of them stayed with me for hours afterwards.

yes I can only do a ‘bacon cheese omelet’…that is 1/2 lb of bacon, a tad of cheddar I grate from my block into it and like 3-4 eggs. Only way I will eat an omelet :slight_smile:

I am SO carnivore picky now it is scary sometimes but it works for me.

Oh yes I know seafood costs like prawns are going thru the roof. and being seafood they are not ‘a belly holder’…they are not a fill me up unless we eat a good bit of them.

Our heavy meats on the hoof like beef and pork is our key big dense meat, but if we ‘side a few prawns’ when we so want them with our big meats, like on our birthday or something or a lottery win hit HA, then we know we can make alot of decadent meals for us when we feel we need them.

I lived on crab legs and lobster for a while when prices were just affordable. Now those are gonzo from my meal except on ‘my timeline’ when I must have a taste. More rare, but also more enjoyed ya know :slight_smile:

you love your msoked mackarel then you eat it up!!

Never had crab legs or lobster, maybe one day on a special birthday or if I win the lottery I will. The most decadent meal I can think of is the one I grew up with every christmas, a meal my country, Norway, is big on: pork rib and lamb or mutton rib. I still remember the wild tastes, so that’s why I’ve decided we’re going to put a Norwegian spin on our christmas meal this year by adding lamb though my SO has never been a fan of that meat, as it’s the best food in the world in my opinion.

WOW I love that. Connection to your roots on the meats that you find so delish. can’t ever go wrong with that!!! I find Norway and those regions exciting on culture definitely.

yea the crab and lobster etc is in my area, I am near coastal so I can get this easily and ‘was reasonable’ price but now it is priced so high I can’t afford it literally. I rely on shrimp and scallops when they hit a good sale to be my ‘seafood’ add now.

I do need to win the lottery :star_struck:

You really clicked with animal food super quickly :wink: Lucky!

When you stop eating even your small amount of plant food, it may bring immediate big changes, it happened to me. As long as I am fine with my carni food, I don’t want carbs (of course not only desire may trigger carb eating but this is a big reason. I think my main one is very much not wanting carni food anymode and tolerating some other food when I go off but desire happens too). If I add plants and not in super tiny amounts, it may be fine and may be escalating quickly…
And we change even more as time passes. It’s very interesting. (Especially that it happened to me even with my on/off carnivore-ish style. Probably because animal food suits my body. It’s very happy with carnivore, I almost never feel that my body craves something else.)

My body always wanted animal fatty protein, my vegetarian years were high-protein high-fat too and I ate huge amounts of eggs and dairy… Your case is very interesting as you did the jump I can’t comprehend (as I never did low-carb), from HCLF to keto… Wow. It always sounded super hard to me but if your body is very compatible with the latter, it may make it easier I guess as your case shows :slight_smile:

If you are really lucky, you won’t even need breaks like I apparently do :frowning: They are inconvenient but sometimes I just can’t stomach more meat and I need low-meat days and they aren’t easy if I don’t want to eat much carbs. Though I have ideas how to solve that problem.
But in theory meat offers great variety (especially if you can afford a wide selection, availability may be a problem too see me and the miserably tiny selection of seafood here :frowning: cross (is that the word?) it with my budget and it’s very sad) and egg and dairy helps too, even if you use them in small amounts.
And I suppose many of us have favs we can eat almost every day. Like me and my pork roasts :slight_smile: If possible, I take my break from it with turkey or rabbit :wink: Then several days of pork comes again… And fish is another world entirely.

I have phases with eggs. I only disliked this beloved food of mine (my diet has two big pillars, meat - mostly pork - and eggs) when I tried to make a carnivore day without meat in the early times. I did it but I barely could look at eggs for 1-2 weeks (and I ate 6 per day as what else? even off carni, I need my eggs. nowadays even my meat)… But that was only once.
Now I have times when I love eggs and times when I am kinda bored of them and only eat some as side dish and usually not in their super boring forms (like boiled egg, scrambled egg. not fun). As long as my low-egg times happen while I LOVE my meat, no problem. Meat satiates me more anyway and my body seems to miss it when I go low with it for days…
So it’s only bad if I am bored of eggs AND meat simultaneously but with high-meat, low-egg and low-meat, high-egg (and more dairy than usual) times it hardly happens.

But eggs are versatile and useful :slight_smile: Not everyone needs (or tolerate) them but for some of us they are very very valuable in our diet. I couldn’t get my nutrients without eggs, no matter my woe (I think). I could do it without meat but that is hardcore at this point too, I wouldn’t want to go without meat longer than 1-2 days and I have that maybe once a year as I don’t force meat upon myself. That would end up very miserably, probably.

Bacon is super salty so anything beyond maybe 60g bacon is impossible for only 4 eggs for me and that is a stretch already, 40g sounds better. Or 20g. Anyway, eggs are lovely unlike bacon except when the latter is super crunchy. But then it has no eggs (just as a side dish. it’s not like I can eat that bacon flavored crunchy salt otherwise)…
I am sensitive if it comes to the salt content of my food, you see. But maybe I was a tad dramatic… It depends on my phase, sometimes I can’t stand salt as much as usual.

Smoked mackerel is one of the BEST. Yum. I want it again…
Mutton is amazing too but it’s not very easy to get. Not super hard either, there is a hypermarket I can find it if I search very thoroughly…

I never ate crab or lobster either. I didn’t even see them in supermarkets, only on restaurant menus. My SO ate it but I prefer my meat to be more substantial so never splurged on it. And I rather eat many dishes with tiny delicious shrimps than one crab one :wink:

I think the reason it’s been an easy jump for me, fron HFLC to keto, is that although for many years I ate a high carb diet my childhood food would have been more like keto, I even had pure carnivore days in the christmas periods where I would eat tons of cold lamb or mutton rib, or pork rib, munch on crackling, and maybe nibble on some raw swede or cauliflower. It may also be that genetically my body is more prone to carnivore foods, as when later in my life I went vegetarian and even for a period of my life vegan, I became ill. Now my body already seems so much healthier. But we are all different, some people thrive on plant foods and some on more carnivore-ish and keto-ish WOEs, whilst my body is already requesting pure carnivore foods.

(Lynn Stievater ) #9

I really like the egg pudding which is just eggs and water, whisked, then steamed. Saw the recipe on one of the videos by Bella, the “steak and butter gal”. Have it with bacon on the side…yum!

Hi Lynn, welcome to the forum🙂 I’m pretty new here myself, but have found it to be a plethora of knowledge and positivity. Your egg pudding sound like a yummy breakfast. I think it is a portion laziness and a portion being totally rubbish in the kitchen that I always end up making the same omelet with a side of bacon, on the days I actually still feel like having eggs.

But it sounds a lovely recipe to try. Though these days I find a plate of bacon and a mug of coffee with cream to be sufficient for breakfast, if I am feeling extra lazy.

I don’t like it with water but it’s a different story with broth :wink: That’s flavorful.
And the texture is fun.

(Lynn Stievater ) #12

Yes, I love the texture. I can eat 4 fried eggs, no problem. But I can’t finish 4 eggs pudding/custard style…more filling.

I don’t like egg pudding much enough to eat more than 1-2 eggs… And my “equipment” (a pan, a grate(?), a metal bowl and a wok cover) isn’t good for big amounts :slight_smile:

I still don’t get satiated by 4 (or 8) eggs only (there are exceptions), no matter their shape and form and texture. “Filling” has no meaning for me. I need 100-150g protein and the same amount of fat for calling something a proper meal… I may or may not get satiated before I reach that. There are no tricks (except a fat fast style meat, apparently).

I can’t eat breakfasts though. My first meal is in the afternoon. That is important as the earlier I eat, the smaller my meal gets. But a tiny meal can’t last for long. I soooo hated breakfasts all my childhood…