Carnivore as an alternative

(Leigh Thomas) #1

I sort of fell of the wagon for a bit due to being away from home and stuck in camp for 6 months then went to the States for 3 week. Finally fallen back into the swing of things.

I was doing ok on keto but wasn’t really getting any weight loss goals after 12 months. This time around I thought I would try the next step after keto and go to carnivore OMAD and I must say I’m amazed with the results I’ve seen so far and how I feel after 5 weeks of it.

I originally set out to do it for 2 weeks as I was very apprehensive about removing vegetables from my diet. As the verdict is still out with fibre and vegetable requirements in a diet.

I’m not suggesting anyone should do it and this just my personal experience with it.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Leigh tell us more. What results are you see?

What are you eating and how much? What Non-Scale Victories (NSV) are you also experiencing?

Do you eat till full and how often?

I’m considering trying this out after some travel coming up and a comprehensive set of biomarker labs that my cardiologist is going to do on me in October.

(Leigh Thomas) #3

I’ve had this resurgence of energy that I haven’t had since my 20’s. My sleep quality has also improved dramatically and I’m functioning on around 7-8 hours now. Recovery after exercise has also improved and I’m not pulling up as sore as I used to. Inflammation and back pain has also gone.

One thing people might not like to talk about when going without fibre is a lot less poo comes out to, and irritable bowel syndrome has disappeared along with a lot less gas.

I usually eat 4 rashes of bacon, 3 eggs and 250g of mince meat as patties with cheese on top once a day. It can be anytime of the day depending on what shifts I do. I try and stick to the 20+ hour fast.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

I’m eating more carnivore foods and am experiencing this. Thanks for the info.

(Chris) #5

Another convert. Meat does in fact heal, it would seem.

(George) #6

I find I do a lot better on carnivore than keto too. I tried bringing veggies back in the past 2 weeks and gained a couple ounces every day, resulting in a 5 lb or so gain. I fasted, lost the 5 I gained, went back to eating 1 big steak and a couple eggs, and down 4 ounces the next day.

(Elizabeth ) #7

I’m just going to leave this here, but I’m a mod in one of the oldest carnivore groups headed up by an 11-year veteran who has helped thousands of people. the number one reason people aren’t successful on carnivore they don’t eat enough. We’re talking 2 lb of meat a day. at a minimum. If you have high activity and exercise levels you might need to eat as much as 5 lbs. We have 100 lb carnivore in our group she’s been eating this way for 2 years and she eats a minimum of 3 lb often 4 to 5 every day. Carnivore is not a weight loss diet. And the people that lose weight early on tend to be the ones that aren’t eating enough. they also tend to be the ones that don’t stay carnivore for very long because it’s really hard especially if you gain weight in the beginning like a lot of people do. But it is a healing way of eating that can normalize your hormones and your metabolism but it may take 3 to 5 years to get to a healthy weight especially if you have spent decades overweight and doing restrictive diets. Anybody can lose weight cutting calories and cutting amounts. We probably all have many times. But those of us That have decided that this is the only way to eat for the rest of our lives aren’t looking at the weight we’re looking at the health benefits and trusting that our bodies will get the nutrients that they need And will decide to be a healthy weight whenever that happens. It’s really hard when you get these young athletes that put on 20 lb in college or after an injury that drop all that weight in a month. That’s because they’re metabolically healthy and normally slim. And I would hope that they continue that way. But they are not the norm and they’re certainly not the ones that are still around 5 and 10 and 20 years later. Just my thoughts.

(Leigh Thomas) #8

From what I understand I should eat 1g of protein per kg of body weight. So my ideal weight would be around 85kg so 85g of protein should be enough.

A 250g steak contains approximately 25g of protein. So I should be eating 850g a day plus a bit extra as some protein is lost during cooking.

If all you are eating is meat, fish, eggs, then your body needs more than the bare minimum of protein. If you use an app like cronometer, and calculate what nutrients there are in
‘4 rashes of bacon, 3 eggs and 250g of mince meat as patties with cheese on top’
you will find that it is not supplying you with everything you need.

I am NOT suggesting that you go out and buy a range of supplements, I am suggesting that you eat enough that your body can get nutrients from the food.

Please don’t prioritise weight loss at this stage. Your body is making a big adjustment. Give it the space and the nutrients to do this.

Eat to your appetite. Listen to what your body wants.
Let it adapt.

(Elizabeth ) #10

Exactly Carnivore is eating ad libitum It is not measuring anything.We don’t do macros and measuring we just eat fatty meats when we’re hungry.

(Leigh Thomas) #11

I eat plenty, some days one meal some days two, depends on how hungry I am and how much physical activity is involved.