Carnivore April 2018 Support?

(Becky Searls) #1

I think I’m posting this in the wrong place, so, apologies!

I want to try to go full carnivore for the month of April 2018! I’ve tried once for about 11 days back in January but stopped due to disrupted sleep and maybe mixing fasting / IF with it was a factor? I’ve also gone off and on a few times since but never up to 2 week a or longer. After asking some people I follow online about their adjustment and reading more about carnivore it seems I stopped short of what could be an awesome lifelong way of eating! I have learned that it often takes minimum one month, and often up to TWO YEARS to fully adapt to the carnivore way of eating (oy).

So I’m going to give it at least a full month! Join me if you like and we can support each other! I googled in desperation for tips on making it through the first month and found this helpful blog post:

(Jack Brien) #2

I’m tempted, but I dunno…
Just read this though, was interesting

(Erin Macfarland ) #3

@beckyjoy I would recommend making sure to eat enough, many people experience a pretty significant decrease in appetite which can lead to fatigue. So try and keep up your intake of meat and eat whatever sounds appetizing!

(Becky Searls) #4

Thank you! I suspect this is what happened during my first go-round. Food became less interesting (which is great) but then I ate less and then felt weak and slept poorly. So I’ll keep this in mind - it definitely seems like that’s what vet carnivores suggest too, for nearly every difficulty—“eat more meat”! Lol!

Do you follow the carnivore way of eating??

(Tracy) #5

Hey Becky!

I’ve been trying to do carnivore since late November, and have had varying degrees of success. I’ve been on and off, with 6 weeks being my longest run before I caved and ran back to keto. There was one point where I thought it had broken me, but I realized that there was something else going on in the background when going back to keto didn’t make me feel any better. I’m now convinced that I just didn’t stick it out long enough to see the benefits. In my defence, I was feeling pretty crappy, and wasn’t convinced at the time that I was doing the right thing for me by sticking with it.

I’ve been back at it for over a week, but this time I decided to leave out dairy and eggs as I was having some ugly digestive issues and have suspected that dairy isn’t my friend anyway. I was going along great and starting to feel much better, but then yesterday was stuck with some powerful cravings. I caved in and had some fat bombs that were in the back of my freezer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have realized that in the past few days I had started adding spices to my meat because it didn’t seem like a big deal even if it wasn’t strictly carnivore. However, it seems to have awakened the beast, so, no more of that!

Anyway, it took me a little longer than many people whose stories I’ve read to feel good on this diet. I actually had a worsening of joint pain and muscle stiffness before it got better. Now, I’m feeling good and am hoping that ditching the spices will bring me back to that “sweet” spot I was enjoying up until yesterday. Just gotta eat more meat and, for me, keep my fat up or I get really hungry and then it’s all over.

So, I’m with you, and recommitting. April is going to be strict carnivore for me too. Let’s do this! :facepunch:

(Erin Macfarland ) #6

@beckyjoy I don’t do strict carnivore anymore, I really enjoy vegetables and they don’t seem to bother me, but many people who try eating only animal foods feel even better eventually than they do on keto. It’s something you have to try for yourself, but it does take a while to fully adapt, at least a few months, and I wasn’t willing to wait it out that long. I still do have days where I only eat meat. It’s worth a try though !

(Chris) #7

Check out my comments on that article, I think I had filled in a couple of his blanks there.

I just finished my March ‘Zero’ Carb Carnivore Experiment and have PERCISELY ZERO bad things to say about my experience with it. I stuck with it, and didn’t mind at all!

I like veggies, and a big daily salad in particular, so it was fun to eat veggies for the first time since Feb today at our Easter Family Dinner, at my oldest son’s farm in Okiehoma. DELICIOUS!

I tolerate salad greens, and various other moderate carb vegetables pretty well, so I probably will wait a while before another Carnivore stint.

None of the problems I anticipated occurred, including cramps, constipation, or cravings…nothing bad at all. Even though I considered it merely a “tweak” to my LOW CARB plus I.F.-ing WOE, I wouldn’t hesitate to try it again.

edit: My son and his wife BOTH have started KETO and although neither of them are really very heavy, he’s lost 28 since January. She looks fabulous as always, even while pregnant (again) and every single dish on the table was KETO friendly!

I humbly submit that my success in losing 140 pounds in 11 months has inspired them. Thank you, to all you KETO Trail Blazers! “What goes around, comes around.” You make a difference!

Stan

(Jack Brien) #9

I couldn’t see them. Comments to the article itself?

(Jack Brien) #10

Well, thought I’d give this a go, at least for a bit. Thoughts on using coconut oil though?

(Chris) #11

Sorry, look for Christopher Bement. Forgot I didn’t use an alias.

(Tracy) #12

Not that this counts for a hill of beans from a struggling newb, but I still do my MCT in the morning. I was trying not to do any dairy and was using a bit of coconut oil in its stead, but I prefer butter, so back to just my MCT.

(Becky Searls) #13

Awesome!! Let’s do it!

(Jack Brien) #14

Butter isn’t an MCT is it?

(Tracy) #15

No, it’s not. I was just saying that I had been using some coconut oil to replace the butter because I was trying to go dairy free. I decided to stop using coconut oil and back to butter, but still do my MCT oil in the morning.

(Jack Brien) #16

I see, that makes more sense. I’m not sure I could cope with dairy free unless it was essential. Cream is such a large portion of my calories!

(Jack Brien) #17

I’m thinking that doing this for a while will be helpful. If I ‘fail’/fall off the wagon/cheat or whatever, it will be back to keto, which really isn’t a problem :slight_smile:

(Chris) #18

lol, my idea of cheating on carnivore is still a light keto day. I think every diet should be centered around meat/eggs/fatty fish. What you add from there is up to your own tolerance. If the basis of your nutrition is Steak/Cage free organic eggs/Wild Salmon, nothing else is even required to thrive.

(Jack Brien) #19

I was going to start eating more sardines, based on something I heard about heavy metals in fish

(Chris) #20

As far as fish goes, some say only 2x a week is plenty to satisfy any potential deficiencies. As typical with everything, the closer you get to its natural stage, the better.

I don’t think fish is even a necessity, but it fits the WOE and may help cover the basis