Carbs in home made yogurt

(Jim Rush) #1

I wasn’t sure where to tag this, so I’lls tart here.

I’ve seen various web sites saying different things about home made yogurt. To be specific, store bought whole milk and applying one of the various available cultures.

I’ve seen some pages say that home yogurt has no carbs as they are all converted. I know from my home brew experiences that carbs and sugar conversion can significantly impacted by the input and what is used to perform the conversion. Does anybody have any better information?

I’ve also seen that you want to remove the whey to reduce carbs. I would also assume that it would concentrate fat.

Thank you, Jim

(Paul Jaeger ) #2

I’d say that the home brew is pretty low in carbs, but it is hard to measure exactly. You need to consider how long you let the culture brew and how much of the whey you remove. Remember, it isn’t only the carbs here though. Whey is very insulinogenic even if you don’t get a significant blood glucose spike as a result. Definitely also go with whole milk since this can be a good source of dietary fat. I’d probably track it like a whole fat greek yogurt.

(Patrick B.) #3

Do a glucose test… see how bad it hits you.

I recently learned how to make sour cream using HWC. I eat that instead of yogurt. It’s like rich, thick Greek yogurt. No worries on carb count, that’s for sure.

(Jim Rush) #5

Good idea, but my metabolism hasn’t been deranged enough to warrant a glucose meter. Though, given family and personal history, I’m fairly confident, given another decade not addressing it, I would be there.

I was hoping some forum members had done the experimentation for me.

Thank you

(David) #6

I had some extra thick double cream with a bit of orange flavouring stirred in the other night. That was a nice substitute for yoghurt.

(Patrick B.) #7

Sure… I get that.

I’m not diabetic at all but man I was curious… so I bought a meter on the cheap… Then I discovered they needed test strips… Holy cow are they expensive! Fortunately, I commented to my T1DM-friend and she asked me the monitor I bought… I told her and she brought me in a tube of 50 strips she didn’t need anymore because she’s changed monitors… It’s been interesting…

(Jim Rush) #8

I considered it, but figured out the test strip cost and thought against. Instead I’ve focused on other motivational toys for weight loss. Such as a smart scale vs manual tracking and maybe some time soon, a fit bit. :slight_smile:

(Patrick B.) #9

Love my fit bit and I have seriously considered the scale because I’m lazy… :stuck_out_tongue:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #10

Would you eat store-bought sour cream? (Must admit, the name has always put me off!).
Or is it easy to make?

I have recently learned to love (perhaps too much) thick Greek yogurt, but worry sometimes about the carbs (although Steve Phinney says most of them get converted to lactate, which is apparently ok. Still has some carbs though: he say about 5g per cup* ).

• I never can quite get my head around American cups. We don’t really use cups in measuring stuff in the UK, but if we ever do, I think ours are different sizes.
      Professor Google tells me a US cup is either about 236ml or 240ml, depending on whether it’s “customary” or “legal”.

Either way, 5g of carbs per cup doesn’t sound too bad I suppose.

Yes, you can eat sour cream as if it were yogurt.

Here are easy homemade sour cream tips (cheaper if you make it yourself than buying it):

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #12

Thanks @Fiorella!

(What The Fast?!) #13

I think my question is relevant in this thread…
Ok, so I grew up eating Middle Eastern food and there’s this DELICIOUS dip called Labne (or Labneh or Lebnah) that is basically kefir cheese. I don’t make it homemade but I buy it in store and it’s keto-heaven. (6g fat, 1g protein, 1g carbs)
https://www.karouncheese.com/cultured-products/mediterranean-labne-kefir-cheese

Traditionally, this is served with olive oil and you dip fresh bread into it. HOWEVER…it’s delicious on so many things - douse it in olive oil (or don’t) and use it as a dip for vegetables, pork rinds, cheese crisps. Or, throw it an omelet, top a salad with it, or even just use slather it on some meat.

Now - on to the point…I’m headed home for a wedding this week and my mom has promised to make me some homemade labneh. I assume the nutrition info should be similar. There are two ways to make it: the lazy way (buy full fat yogurt, strain it with a cheesecloth overnight), or the real way (cook whole milk with yogurt starter, strain overnight til thick). Either way, I think it strains the whey out - which is what gets rid of the milk sugars and carbs…right?

If anyone has insight into how whey/milk sugars work in yogurt, let me know!

(What The Fast?!) #14

Bump…anyone have thoughts about this?

(Kenny Embry) #15

I know this was posted almost a year ago, but I’d like to know the answer to this as well. My wife and I just began using the Instant Pot to make yogurt from whole milk. I’m keto, she’s not. Is there a minimum time limit to getting lower carbs? She likes the yogurt less tangy than I do.

(Sophie) #16

I think that the longer it incubates the tangier it is and less sugar remains. I do mine for 24hrs. As an extra, I strain it in the fridge overnight to remove the whey, which has the most carbs and it makes it very thick and creamy. I don’t think there is a way to really test aside from @Faitmaker’s suggestion, to do a glucose test and see what your reaction is.

(Alicia Warren) #17

It’s good to see that others have the same question. I make my own labne at home from Greek yoghurt and I too have been wondering how effectively I have removed the sugars through 1) the yoghurt process of converting lactose to lactic acid and 2) the draining process where much of the whey is removed. Surely if the remaining lactose is in solution then most of that would be in the whey. I guess any answer would be a generalisation, and the best answer would be found with fancy measuring equipment that only a lab would have.