Carbs and mucous?

(Amy) #1

So, I’ve had trouble with mucous (and oil) production until this past week when I upped my carbs from <20 to 40-70grams/day. I was feeling like a strip of beef jerky, dry, tight skin, dry throat and eyes, severe constipation, all of which temporarily went away the instant my menstrual cycle started (which rarely comes since starting keto 10 weeks ago). I’ve also been very apathetic, though my physical energy level is fine.

After some research, I found some theories claiming that some women (especially lean women, like myself) need more carbs to maintain mucous levels in the gut and keep intestinal flora alive. I can’t find anything stating that this is related to dry skin and hair, and mucous membranes in the rest of the body. It definitely feels hormonally related. I am perimenopausal, but never skipped a period before keto. Now I’ve skipped 2.

Since adding in more carbs this last week, I feel normal again, and I think I’m still in ketosis. Energy is fine, not hungry, not gaining weight. Just for reference, I’ve never been considered overweight or had metabolic dysfunction.

Still, 40-70 grams of carbs seems like too much. I feel like I’m cheating.

(Allie) #2

Never heard the theory before but everyone has different needs so if that amount of carbs works for you, go with it and don’t feel bad.