Carbquik Bread - 1 Carb per Slice

science
bread

(Jay Patten) #2

My wife bought of box of this from Amazon. It is still sitting on the shelf, untouched, where it should be.

The more you try to mimic your old eating habbits, the more you will miss your old eating habits.

Just my 2 cents.

(Jay Patten) #3

Just to add on…

I used to be a hardcore candy addict. I ate candy nearly everyday. Because of this, I avoid any sort of candy subsitite. Now I can control my candy cravings without any major issues. Your husband will learn to control his bread cravings and before he knows it, he’ll stop thinking about bread.

Remember, it just takes time. Rome wasn’t built in a day :slight_smile:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #4

If you eat sugar free candy as you ate sugary candy, you will be cured of your candy addiction in no time.

The reviews on these are gold:
https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-SUGAR-Classic-Gummi-Bears/dp/B006J1FBLM#customerReviews

(Julie ) #5

I have Carbquick and really enjoy making biscuits with it. DH said they tasted good too. Have not tried any of the other recipes with it as yet.

(Allie) #6

Gummy bears laced with maltitol to create disaster pants? :rofl:

In certain items maybe but I go through periods where I crave sandwiches and then others where I do not care. For example I make the dietdoctor.com bread into sandwich rolls. I went through about 2 weeks where I had them daily then my last batch did not turn out well and I have not had it since and do not miss it. However if you have a craving that does not go away and do not satisfy it in some way it can derail the diet.

The biggest problem for me is usually pizza. The FatHead pizza is good enough so that I know when I crave pizza or the kids want me to order it (I try not to but when they come home from college and you do not get to see them much it is harder to say no) knowing I can make my own version it is easier. Also, most of these bread things are a pain to make so I have to really want them to make them

I have never used carbquick because we have a child with celiac so I try to avoid wheat since it is genetic. I use psyllium fiber or almond or walnut

(Todd Allen) #8

I’ve been making a lot of seed and nut loaves. Serves the same uses as bread but isn’t imitation bread. Maybe give it a try if the carbquick doesn’t satisfy.
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/seed-nut-loaf/12636

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

I agree pretty heartily, though if I’m only eating these things as homemade special ingredient, I’m learning a new way of cooking and a new process.

That said, I’m not as interested in using center of the store type products, as that is part of what got me to where I am. So, maybe I accept eating an occasional portion of a loaf of homemade sourdough, or maybe I see if carbalose will support a sourdough starter… weird way to think of it.

(Vincent Hall) #10

Amazon reviews, The military one had me in stitches. Classic.
\v/

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

Yeah, I had to stop reading after that one, as I nearly passed out from laughing so hard.

Sugar Alcohols are no joke.

I’ve been on keto for over a year and just recently tried some ThinSlim foods items, including their “honey” bread. I had been dying for a real tuna sandwich and this was just what I needed. I know I won’t be buying it regularly, but it really satisfied my craving and helped me not feel deprived. I also made a low carb version of “Miracle Whip” since that is what I grew up on.

Makes the best fake pancakes you could ever fake. BUT, you REALLY need to rethink faking breads or anything else that’s terrible for us. Trying to ease into it can also be a kiss of death, keep it in mind.

(Jay Patten) #14

I agree about fake stuff.

Lots of people eat this kind of stuff everyday. Low carb pancakes, muffins, bread, brownies and cookies will still spike your insulin and 1) make you more hungry and 2) keep you from burning fat.

Not to be harsh, but some people are eating GoodDees and Carbquick every day and then complaining because they are “on month XYZ of keto but not losing weight.”

(Sara ) #15

I have carbquik and have been wanting to try the bread, let me know how it goes. I love making the blueberry muffins. I freeze them and I have enough self control to pull out only one or two at a time. I also load them up with butter once cooked. I’m not trying to lose weight, just doing this for a healthier lifestyle. Depends what your goals are, but I enjoy having some " imitation food" now and then

Please post your “Miracle Whip” substitute. I also grew up on it. Actually used to eat it by the spoonful. So far, my attempts to copy it have been less than stellar. Really miss it.

@Kailee56, here’s the recipe I used. I used 2-3 drops of liquid erythritol/monk fruit blend sweetener. I recommend starting slow with the sweetener and tasting til it’s to your liking. This “Miracle Whip” was great.

Thanks so much. Will be trying it tonight.

Kathryn

(Omar) #19

the flaxseed bread

If someone give me a piece without telling me what it is, I would probably mistake it with wheat bread.

I think this is in part due to the baking powder
smell. just do not overcook to prevent the fish like smelling I think the smell of omega 3.

It is though 6 times as expensive as regular bread.

(Damien Carter) #20

Not to revive a dead thread but I found this when I first started keto and thought I would circle back around

I’m in a special position because I’m not doing keto willingly, I found out we have a genetic condition where carbs cause plaques in our brain and we get altzheimers super early, which is not fun sounding. So I don’t want to change my diet at all and if I feel deprived I won’t because I have no self controll

I LOVE carbquick (now that I’m used to the taste, it does have an after taste on its own) and I think it may actually save my life, I use it as flour, I just take normal recipes and modify the water it calls for a little bit

I’ve made bread, pasta (run the carbquick through a food processor for a couple minutes first), biscuits, rolls, pizza, gravy, cake, cupcakes, brownies… All if it just tasted “normal”. I have started cooking a lot more than I used to, so much so it made me buy a bread maker and a stand mixer… I used to just buy everything and now I have to make every single thing, so that’s a chore ~ but I don’t have to feel like I’m denying myself at all

The only “trick” you need to know working with it is that you need to about double your leavening agents like yeast or baking powder, and pay close attention because it will need more water, and then a little more, then like a tablespoon more

If you can rationalise it and you’re not on a special diet, use sugar in your yeast things, they rise so much better than if you don’t

I found it at walmart here, it was in the baking section right next to the bisquick for about $6 so I’d look around because it’s hella savings from Amazon that way, I did order some of the plain carbalose flour but I havn’t found many recipes that are critical enough to need it

Oh, ok this is only tangentially related but frosting, two table spoons of cornstarch to every 3/4 cup of splenda and run it through the food processor for like 5 minutes

I’m forgetting something…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

No worries. The Dudes actually prefer putting new information in old threads over starting a new thread all the time. That way all the information is in one place.

An excellent post, by the way. I tend to avoid keto substitutes, but your hints seem most helpful.

And you probably realise that the plaques are an indicator of Alzheimer’s disease, not the cause of it. The real cause is a problem with the glucose metabolic pathway in brain cells, which leaves the brain literally starving. You may be familiar with the characterisations of Alzheimer’s disease as “insulin-resistance of the brain” and “Type III diabetes.” A ketogenic diet helps with this, because ketone bodies make excellent alternative fuels, being metabolised by a different pathway.