Carbohydrates in Beer: The Scientific way

beer

Hi All, first post

I have lately done some research to low carb beer and I have found some interesting articles.

(1)https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1977.tb03808.x
(2)https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2005.tb00681.x
(3)https://www.brewersjournal.info/science-basic-beer-alcohol-extract-determinations/

Especially interesting for me is that according to (1) the big part of beer carbohydrates are Dextrins and only very small portion are Maltotrios, Glucose and Fructose.

If I understand correctly then Dextrin should be soluble fiber. That contradicts normal Real ekstract calculations(3) where all the residual sugars( apart form protein and ash) are considered residual sugars, carbohydrates.

If that is so have we overestimated amount of carbohydrates in commercial beers?
Also with some producers saying they have 4.5% ABV beer with less than 1g of sugars per 100 ml, it is almost impossible to get to these levels of residual sugars in RE calculations(3).Can general knowledge about sugars
in beer be wrong or else these super low carb beers do not make a lot of sense.

(Frank) #2

I will need to read those articles as well as follow this post. A friend of mine and I share the keto woe as well as the homebrewer wod. We are going to be brewing some ultra low carb beers in the spring.

(Frank) #3

This is what a homebrewer on keto looks like. A lot of beer in waiting.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

Best Beer ever… NO Carb.

Ingredients ; Water, Malted Barley, Nartural Hops and Patience.

(CJ Young) #5

I’m just going to go ahead and believe this for now. I’ll come back and look into it more later but I’m literally going to an Octoberfest beer blast situation tomorrow.

I kind of made my peace with the carbs. I figure I should really just try and have a good time rather then keto police myself. True or not this post has helped me feel more ok about going beer wild and I’ll stay keto in my food consumption.

Can’t wait to test my ketones the day after. Should be interesting.

Have you had a keto hangover yet? The next day may involve you checking your ketones or it may involve you checking your pulse! God speed :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

By the quite well known brewers calculation. The beer is 4.2 ABV so if Final gravity at lowest possible carb shoudl be 1.000 then the Original gravity for that ABV needs to be around 1.032.
OG = 1.032= 8.5 Plato scale
FG =1.000= 0 Plato scale
RE- The sugars in beer( all kinds, not all fermentable)
RE=0.18088.5+0.81920=1.54 deg
Calories per 100ml of beer=(6.94.2)+(4.0(1.54-0.1))*1.000=(28.98+5.76)=34.74 cal per 100 ml
Where (1.54-0.1)is the general amount of carbs in 100 ml of beer.
RE gives the most general amount of residual sugars left. So just calculation the RE will give you the maximum carbs in your beer.

Here is my general reasoning if they have not done any fancy way of getting out every last bit of sugar somehow. I would like to believe that they have but I’m still slightly critical as I haven’t found any technics to do this. Making extremely fermentable worth can get near 100% attenuation but I have jet to find any beers that would taste good and be absolutely 0 carb.

NB! Also interesting that yeast of no kind is mentioned under ingredients as patience alone is not enough to make beer …

(CJ Young) #8

So I was really worried about all that. I was like, this is going to be the worst hangover of my life but whatever I’m going for it…

I was fine. No hangover. I’m 30 so I am beyond the age of just being recklessly drunk yielding no consequences so very odd. Back into ketosis the next day and my weight stayed the same. I have been blessed by the keto gods and I will take this instance of them over looking my transgressions as a one time pass.

But yeah, I quite honestly have no idea what I did right to be this lucky because I really did nothing to prevent a hangover. Over eight hours I drank a lot of beer. Then a lot of cider. Then a lot of whiskey. I ate food throughout the day that had pretty low carbs (a sausage, pork belly, and a Mexican dish that did have beans). I danced my heart out, jumped up on a stage, was allowed to keep dancing, and was generally amazing. I’ve never partied that hard in my life. Then went out side threw up went home slept for 7 hours and woke up sober and pretty much fine. A little groggy but after and omelette and a bottle of life water no problem.

So this N=1 feels like an anomaly but there you go. That’s what happened.

Happy days :smile:

Husband & I had a similar experience a couple of years ago. Many (so many) beers over the course of an otherwise low carb christmas day & no apparent penalty. My first ever christmas miracle.

(Free Hearsay) #10

Where can this beer be purchased as I have never seen it in the U.K.
Thanks

(Alex ) #11

me neither - looks like a Australian brand only… I got excited when I saw OL in the postcode thinking it was Oldham in Manchester here!

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

It’s a burleigh big head, made down south. I don’t know if it’s available elsewhere, if so it would be considered a craft beer i’d say

I’m sorry that I caused excitement where there was no reason for that . But still there is the case that by my limit knowledge of brewing I’m having very hard time to understand how this carb count has been achieved and I’ve not seen any method shared to achieve that.

(Free Hearsay) #14

Seems to good to be true.And when it is it is usually not.I think food and drink companies tend to be misleading- for the sake of trying to appeal to a certain customer- when it comes to nutritional info.I mean if large corporations such as BMW can blatantly lie I.e. Dieselgate I think it’s not such a stretch of the imagination to think all companies are doing it.