Carbohydrate-restricted diet promotes skin senescence in senescence-accelerated prone mice!

(Todd Allen) #1

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1007/s10522-018-9777-1

I expect the headline has you in a panic. Science once again proves the folly of not eating enough carbs!

But…

They took disease prone mice locked in cages and fed them a weight percentaged diet of:
39.6% refined milk casein protein
20% lard
13.2% alpha-corn starch
10% sucrose
7% soybeal oil
5% cellulose
and a mix of vitamins and minerals

Yet another demonstration that science has mastered the art of making mice sick and can produce scary results to demonize anything in need of demonization such as carbohydrate restriction.

poor mice :cry:
nice try

(Carpe salata!) #3

Exactly…

Sugar, corn starch and soy promotes skin senescence in senescence-accelerated prone mice!

Doesn’t pull the same industry funding I guess.

I was thinking that too

(Ken) #5

Studies have also shown that Cats cause premature death in Mice.

(Todd Allen) #6

Making 39.6% of their diet protein (quite high for non-carnivores) from a single source, casein - probably bovine, which in people is notorious for causing inflammation, itchy skin, eczema, etc. might also have something to do with it.

Yes, you feed crap to mice and you get crappy results. No kidding!

Since I come from a science/engineering background, I have been so disappointed in the garbage that has been propped up as science from the nutrition field. Decades of bad science have given us many false notions about food and nutrition.

Thanks, Todd, for posting this. It’s bad science, but it is still good to know what is being done out there in the field of nutritional science. Just wish there were much better science being conducted in nutrition.

(Bunny) #8

Here is a mouse study independent of diet composition and calories about daily fasting!

Daily Fasting Improves Health and Survival in Male Mice Independent of Diet Composition and Calories

Highlights:

•The duration of eating/fasting varies based on diet type and feeding protocol

•Meal feeding and CR, unlike AL, show high metabolic flexibility in male mice

Eating patterns rather than diet composition influence longevity regulation

•A prolonged daily fasting is associated with delayed onset of liver pathologies