Carb-filled cheat day

(Felix) #81

Oddly enough, the next morning. They start in my sleep, and I wake up in agony at about 5 am. Concentrated in my neck and back of the skull, inflamed. Bad ones have light and sound sensitivity, and nausea.

Had a streak for two weeks of them recently, same days as eating 2 squares of chocolate after dinner. (6-7pm) The herbal tea I was drinking had 1 gram of unexpected sugar, too.

That would create a VERY bad carb hangover! The people that cycle (that way) just donā€™t want to commit. Not saying I donā€™t have cheat meals every couple weeks or so, but the key is MEAL! A Cheat DAY is insane, for most it takes a week to completely undo the damage, so you do the math. Thatā€™s not a CKD, that somebody that just likes the idea of keto, and doesnā€™t want to stop eating like crap at the same time. People who truly do CKD, mainly weight lifters eat higher, but still decent carbs like sweet potatoā€™s, brown rices etc. They donā€™t eat garbage during their ā€œcarb upsā€. Even for the guys doing TKD which Iā€™ve considered, although they may intentionally be spiking themselves with dextrose theyā€™re doing it very strategically at the precise time they can get away with it and return to ketosis a couple hours later. Iā€™m for people doing whatever they want, it just cracks me up when people convince themselves of stuff like their ā€œcarb cyclingā€ when itā€™s actually just the good olā€™ see food diet!

(Mimi Ryan) #83

Iā€™m up in the air regarding cheat days. I want to but my whole being often refuses to. Iā€™ve had one experience eating a full medium waffle fry order last week. Thought Iā€™d feel horrible and never want to do it againā€¦not the case. I felt fine and two days laters was down 1.4 lbs. This is making me reconsider maybe doing a one item per month cheat. Not a whole meal, just having a little something I have missedā€¦maybe a cannoli, a bowl of cereal, a soft pretzel, a hoagie or a real slice of pizza or calzone. Thoughts?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #84

Iā€™ve had a few higher carb events. The first one made me feel terrible but the last one was chocolate (with real sugar) and the carbs still stayed under my 20 but I didnā€™t feel bad at all afterward and the next day felt really good. Iā€™m not going to make a habit of it, but I am open minded about cycling.

I watched a vid the other day which mentioned folks who struggle when theyā€™ve had their ā€œglucose for fuelā€ turned off for so long and they eat something high carb. I want to be in a position to do both but live mostly on ketones.

(Mick) #85

Similar here. I just carbed and sugared up yesterday (over ate way too much, but not loads of carbs, just wine and small portions of potatoes) and the day before (had sugary desserts) at a wedding after 6 months of keto. Now have filled out skin, even a bit swelling at the ankles. Hereā€™s hoping Iā€™m sufficiently fat adapted to get back into keto quickly now!

(Christine ) #86

I had to laugh when I read the opening post. I ate almost the exact items yesterday. I had a Big Mac and small fries for lunch (minus one of the buns). Pizza from my favorite pizza joint for dinner (as much as I wanted) and 1/2 a pint of Ben and Jerryā€™s for dinner.

I look forward to my one ā€œfunā€ day every 4 - 5 weeks. No counting macros. No guilt. no stress. Everything is fair game. I log absolutely nothing.

For me psychologically, knowing that I can indulge with something I want in the not too distant future helps me stay on the straight and narrow.

The next day, Iā€™m fine. I am usually still full so I skip breakfast and will eat a late lunch. It will take me 3 days to get the scale back to where it was prior to my fun day.

No weird cravings, no headaches, no nothing. One day every 4 - 5 weeks doesnā€™t seem to throw me off the Keto path.

For me this works because I couldnā€™t keep on the keto way of eating if I thought that I could never have _________ (till in the blank) again.

Iā€™m lucky in the fact that except for being overweight, Iā€™m pretty healthy. This fun day wonā€™t work for everyone but it works for me. YMMV

Keto since April 20, 2019. Down 32 pounds. Female age 51, SW 201, CW 169, ht 5ā€™1"