Can't find liver in BC

(Laurie) #1

In Ontario, fresh beef and pork liver were sold in most grocery stores. Here in British Columbia, the supermarkets I’ve been to (3 different chains) don’t seem to have it. Any ideas? Frozen would be fine too.

(Susan) #2

Stuporstore has it in Duncan as well as 49th parallel in Ladysmith. How far up island are you again?

(Bob M) #3

No liver? What kind of freaking place do you live in? :wink:

(Laurie) #4

I know, Bob – weird, right?

Susan, I shop in Courtenay. Do you find it with the the fresh meats (e.g., beef liver near beef roasts), or is there a secret hiding place?

I was reading another thread about cooking liver, and @240lbfatloss (Ken) suggested making paté. Yum. In the meantime I resort to industrial liverwurst, which doesn’t have much liver in it. But it’s also pretty tasty.

(Doug) #5

Laurie, the demand for liver has really fallen off over the decades, it seems. I do see it hiding, often, although this is in your neighboring country to the south - it will be in the frozen section, like where TV dinners, hamburger patties, ready-to-heat chicken, etc., are.

Try an Asian store

(Bob M) #7

That’s where I find liver, too: in the frozen section.

As for pate, I have some chicken livers I was going to use for that. But, what do you put pate on?

And how do you get the accent over the e in pate?

(Bob M) #8

One of the “fancier” stores near me not only has liver but has sweetbreads and other strange items. Ones that I’d like to eat, if I could figure out how to make/cook. No brains though.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

Copy/paste: pâté.

When you type your “e” hold it down.

A menu of ees appear. Comme ça.

Unless you are on PC.

(Bob M) #11

Thanks. One thing I think English in the US has done too much of is get rid of accents and anything to help one with pronunciation. Example:

Spite
Respite

You basically have to know how these are pronounced.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #12

Do you have any Spanish or Asian supermarkets around? They always have a wacky assortment of that stuff.

(Joey) #14

They also have an assortment of diacritic marks. Enjoy!

Olé!

(Laurie) #16

Thanks, everyone. Maybe I’ll try to get some from one of the beef farmers on my island. Their meat is better. But as an introvert, I prefer to shop in impersonal supermarkets.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

@islandlight The Walmart in North Vancouver where I work has frozen beef liver.

(Laurie) #18

Thanks, Michael. I shop there. I’ll have to look harder in the freezer section next time. Is it in a plain plastic wrapper, or in a box, or…?

(Ken) #19

Here’s a thought. If you don’t enjoy the full liver flavor of pate, you can always opt for a terrine. It can have more meat in it, so the liver flavor is more subdued.

(Laurie) #20

What I meant was, “Too bad it’s not just liver!”