Cannot eat enough!

(Omar) #22

I can eat a goat by myself

but now I am zero carb. I did not go back to that scary loss of appetite.

I am between carnivore and parrotivore :grinning: (eating nuts ) as possible. mainly carnivore.

(Carl Keller) #23

I don’t exercise except being on my feet all day at work. Most days I’m eating 70-80 grams (occasionly 100 or slightly more) of protein. But I’m male and around 175 pounds. On average this is 20-25% of my caloric intake. I honestly can’t give you a specific number of protein grams for you but maybe cronometer can help you figure it out. Your diet should be 70-75% fat, 20-30% protein and around 5% carbs.

The boxing workout is a mixture of cardio and resisting training, I’d say it’s 30 min cardio, 30 minutes resistance (mostly body weight, but we use weights as well). I am planning to do heavier weight lifting, but since I’ve started keto my strength went down ( I figure my muscles haven’t figured out how to use all these ketones I make). Actually, the numbers 0.8-1.2 I saw were for moderate resistance training, otherwise it was even less. Also there were different numbers for those who need to lose weight and for those who does not. The only thing I need is to lose weight. I also remember that when I was young and slim and did a lot of weight lifting I tended to gain weight when I was eating more protein - a steak was much worse than a plate of whole-wheat pasta.

Yeah - I used to box & it’s one of the better cardio workouts for putting on muscle/body recomp so I wouldn’t give that up but beyond that I’m out of ideas for you. Hope you figure something out. I’ll just leave you with this presentation from Dr Ben Bikman on the issue of protein in a ketogenic diet

(Natasha) #26

My advice would be to only worry about your carb macro for now. Be strict about staying under 20g carbs per day, don’t think too much about about protein (but don’t purposely overeat it!) and let your hunger determine how much fat you are eating. See how this works out over a few weeks.

Thanks!

Thank you!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Firstly, what is your source of fat? Vegetable oils (seed oils, actually) contain high amounts of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA’s), and will make you feel ill. Cook with and garnish your food with healthy saturated and monounsaturated fats, such as butter, bacon grease, lard, and tallow, or low-PUFA fruit oils such as avocado, coconut, or olive. We need two types of PUFA’s only, ω-3 and ω-6, and not in great quantities.

Second, when people talk about macros, they are talking percentages of total calories, and fat has over twice as many calories per gram as protein and carbohydrate. So if you were to eat a gram of fat together with a gram of protein, you would be eating around 70% fat and 30% protein. A piece of steak is about 25% protein by weight, and most of the rest of the weight is fat, so if you ate 8 oz. of steak you would be getting 56.75 g of protein and perhaps much as 170.25 g of fat, which works out to roughly 15% protein and 85% fat in terms of calories.

Third, the protein recommendations are only recommendations, not strict rules. Perhaps you are someone who needs more protein and less fat. We recommend fat, not because it has magic weight-reducing properties, but because it stimulates insulin secretion the least, so it is a safe source of calories in a way of eating that is intended to minimize insulin secretion. We need some insulin circulating in our blood in order to live, but we don’t need much, and too much will prevent our adipose cells from releasing any excess stored fat for other cells to metabolize. As long as you are eating less than 20 g/day of carbohydrate, you are doing well over 90% of keto.

Fourth, you say you aren’t losing any weight, but what is happening with your clothing size? Many women who have restricted calories for some time find that, when they go keto and start giving their body more energy to work with, it puts on muscle and increases bone density, and these weight gains cancel out the effect of fat loss, so the scale doesn’t move, even though good things are happening. But since fat is much less dense than muscle, if you’re losing fat, your clothes will fit more loosely, even if the scale isn’t budging. We talk about fat and weight as though they are the same thing, but they really aren’t. Would you prefer to lose fat weight or muscle weight? Could you be okay with less body fat but no change on the scale? Or is that number more important than what else is happening with your body?

These are considerations you might want to incorporate into your thinking, before deciding whether a ketogenic diet is for you or not. Personally, I would advise you to keep calm and keto on (KCKO). Here’s some virtual bacon to inspire you: :bacon::bacon:

My sources of fat are olive oil, avocado, nuts, fatty fish (occasionally), coconut oil, bacon, butter and sometimes cream and cheese. Actually, nuts and plant based oils don’t give me problems, but animal fats like butter, cream and bacon give me unpleasantly heavy stomach, I can tolerate only small portions of them ( maybe because I dislike the taste?) I do eat less than 20g net carbs, but I go often above 20g total carbs, but rarely above 25g total.
As for my size - no, I am not shrinking. Actually, I don’t care about the weight, I care more about the size, I just used the word “weight”. And I don’t think I am building muscles, because since I’ve started keto, my performance went down, I do way less reps during strength exercise, because half way through my muscles just refuse. I guess, they have not learned yet how to use ketones for energy and want glucose. But my brain is not foggy anymore, so I hope the body is learning.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

You are in ketosis, which is why your brain fog is gone. That happens pretty quickly, and the brain really thrives on β-hydroxybutyrate. What takes longer is fat-adaptation, which usually takes around six to eight weeks. By the end of the process, however, your muscles will actually be primarily burning fatty acids, saving the ketone bodies for the organs that can use them.