Cannabis and blood sugar

(Christine) #1

Has anyone found anything solid on cannabis reducing blood sugars? I see things here and there on blogs that are dedicated to smokers, but I don’t see studies sited.

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

Because in the USA it is VERY HARD to get a study of any kind about cannabis funded. England and Israel have done the most research because of their health systems. The gov’t really needs to reclassify it, it has helped so many people with so many issues. But due to some lies, just like Keto diet, it has been demonized.

(Christine) #3

I know, I know, but there are so many legal states now. And a friend of mine was doing his doctorate with it in a red state where it’s not medical. So I know it’s out there.

Someone I knew made the claim that it did and I just wanted to see if there was anything to it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

I never heard it raised blood sugars. I did hear that it actually does surppress appetite, if it has enough CBD in it.
I live in a 420 state, I’ll ask around and see if anyone has heard about the blood sugar issue.

(Christine) #5

I had been told it lowers blood sugar. One of the reasons it can cause munchies.

I am finding that Indicas seem to lower my appetite. But had not heard that CBD lowers appetite. I’m also an odd bird, sativa chill me out indicas are more wakeful.

(TJ Borden) #6

I’d be curious to learn that too. I’m in Washington State, so it’s all legal now. I used to use oil occasionally, but I actually haven’t since starting Keto (well that and a new job that im still finding out their drug test schedule - jusy because the state law changes doesn’t mean companies change their policies).

(Christine) #7

Totally. I am a welder, but I had to find a place to work that wasn’t testing bc even if I have a medical card it’s up to the employers discretion. Which, I totally get, cause construction and industrial work is not safe even sober.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #8

I’ve been a full time smoker for over 15 years
If anything I can have a 5.9mmol blood sugar reading 30 hours after fasting.

(Christine) #9

But when you’re fasting sugar can go up bc it’s a stress and the liver is supplying it. Or at least that’s what I thought I heard Jimmy Moore discuss.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

That may be true on a high-carb diet, but people on a well-formulated ketogenic diet find that their blood sugar stays pretty much within a fairly narrow range, and so is not likely to need lowering, quickly or slowly. Eating very little or no carbohydrate is an effective way of keeping serum glucose low in the first place.

As for exogenous insulin, while essential for keeping Type I diabetics alive, it has some problems. For one thing, it is inherent in the nature of things that it is impossible to accurately mimic the effects of endogenous insulin secretion.