Can you "feel" when you are in Ketosis?

(icky) #1

I was asked recently how I know when I am in/ out of ketosis, if I don’t use Ketostix or a blood ketone meter.

Given I come from a 10 year background of EF, I just “know” what ketosis feels like and what it doesn’t feel like.

I can just tell.

But now I’m having trouble pinpointing the feeling - I want to be able to describe it, but I’m drawing blanks.

Any thoughts?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

I can tell from the way my pee smells.

(icky) #3

:joy:

Dare I ask…? :thinking:

So, ummm… Annie, how does Keto pee smell? :smile:

(I’ve not noticed this, but will be paying attention to mine now!)

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

In a word, strong. It smells very strong.

But I’ve had a lot of ketones since I started. Even though it’s dipped since becoming fat adapted, it’s still on the high end of the moderate range.

(icky) #5

Okay, I think I’ve thought of a few things about how ketosis “feels” to me…

I think it’s got to do with my auto-immune things - I can feel them ease up.

In ketosis, I feel “lighter” - like someone has turned down the intensity of gravity a bit.

Also, it feels like my blood feels “cleaner” - I can feel the lowered levels of inflammation in my body - it’s like everything is running more smoothly, more easily, more like it should.

When I am not in ketosis, it just feels “off” and weird.

(Aamir Butt) #6

For me, it is the sense of being more energetic when I wake up every morning. I feel like I am totally up for the day ahead and everything that comes with it.

So, in short, Energy

(RL) #7

Metallic taste in my mouth.

(Omar) #8

I do not have a meter but I think it is energy, metalic smell at wake up in my mouth, and briefly feeling hi

not sure so do not take my words

(CharleyD) #9

Feels like this:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

I can smell it. Urine, sweat, finger tips.

I don’t test, I don’t care. LCHF is effective for me, regardless of the odor of my urine.

(Maha) #11

If a loved one tells you your breath smells, you know you’re in ketosis. My pre-teen son told me this when I was underway.

I definitely get the urine smell. If I had to describe it, I would say like the odor of your urine after you eat asparagus!
Sue

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #13

It’s that, but not that exactly. To me, it’s the smell of cooking with a lot of garlic. But not that exactly, either.

(Allie) #14

Yes I can feel it, and after the couple of weeks where I tried zero carb, I can feel it when I’m kicked out of ketosis too… :neutral_face:

(Mandy) #15

If I’m heavily into ketosis my brain gets buzzy. Heavy for me is probably 3.0.

I think using feelings as a gauge is useful only if the degree of ketosis varies dramatically. That is, you’re noticing a change. If the level of ketosis is stable, then whatever the feeling just becomes normal.

For the most part, I’m always in ketosis (BK > 2) so whatever impact is expressed in my brain, urine, energy level, etc. is always present, and therefore not noticable.

(Karen) #17

Sweat and breath are fruity.

K

(CJ Young) #18

Yeah, blood feeling cleaner makes me think of something I’ve felt.

When I used to eat a burger or something breaded and fried I would often say to a friend, “I can feel my arteries clogging.” because that’s my sense of humor but there was some truth to it. It’s hard to put a finger on why or how but yeah my blood felt like it was thick or something? Now I know that it was from the carbs I was eating with that fried goodness in those bad bad oils. I haven’t felt that sort of blood “thickness” since I’ve been in ketosis.

Also, now I have energy and just feel good. Before everything was difficult and everything hurt. I have days without chronic pain now so I really know if I messed up my carb count or not.

(Rob) #19

I have a couple of sleep disorders that had me on an energy roller coaster throughout the day despite some hefty medications to level it out. The valleys are still there occasionally but energy levels are evening out. I rarely feel a strong urge to nap anymore and I’ve cut back on my meds.

The other thing I’ve noticed is it makes my mouth feel like the inside of a sneaker. I’m a it obsessive with my dental hygiene anyway but I brush a little more often now and always have mints on hand.

(Omar) #20

yes the brushing

I was not heavy in brushing my teeth until this keto diet feeling the urge to brush.