Can you "feel" when you are in Ketosis?

(icky) #21

I’m still thinking about how I can “tell”.

When I’m in ketosis, I feel like a well-oiled machine, or like a car that’s running well.

When I’m out of ketosis, I feel like a car that is sluggish and that needs to go to the garage for a tune-up.

(icky) #22

For everyone who’s described pee-smells and breath-smells as an indicator of Ketosis - do you find this only applies to the first stage of not being fully fat-adapted yet and hence not burning up your ketones effectively?

Or do you find that this is a long-term issue?

I definitely had crappy keto breath while I was fat-adapting.

Now that I’m fat-adapted, it’s gone.

My dental hygiene also feels a lot better because there are no carbs/ sugars to promote plaque and bacteria growth on teeth.

I also don’t notice a funny pee smell, but I didn’t look out for it during my fat-adaption process either, so it might have been there, along with the keto-breath and I just wasn’t paying attention.

Thanks for your responses :kissing_heart:

Totally interesting to hear how others can “feel” ketosis (in/ out) :star_struck:

(icky) #23

I love this :smile:

I find NUTRITIONIAL ketosis to be “not quite as amazing” as this, for me.

When I am fasting, yeah, I feel like superman on speed, but that is during FASTING ketosis.

For me, nutrional ketosis is only 50% of that feeling (but, hey! 50% is still pretty darned good!!)

I assume for me, this is because I have IBS and food intolerances, and these symptoms only fully go away during fasting.

So while I am eating keto/ in nutrional ketosis, I think my IBS and food intolerances reduce the superman feeling by about half.

(Omar) #24

I also do not have the pee smell. Maybe in the first few weeks but not any more.

same with mouth odor only at wake up time. I think after my guts get diluted with water and food the odor fades away.

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #25

For me there’s not really a constant feeling. In fact, the only real definable things I could say have more to do with being in ketosis and fat adapted. Ketosis without fat adaption felt like being hungry and tired all the time. Ketosis with fat adaption feels like never really being that hungry and not running down in the mid-afternoon like I used to.

(icky) #26

Cool - I agree that for many people on Keto, they would just “get used to” the feeling of being in ketosis and not notice it much.

Because I came to Keto from a long background in EF, I would be in ketosis only when fasting - so several weeks per year - and the rest of the time not. I guess from that, I am acutely aware of the feeling of going into/ being in ketosis and going out of it again.

(icky) #27

I also thought of another description for being out of ketosis - for me it feels like a slight/ mild hangover.

Nothing huge, quite subtle, but it’s there.

(Jo) #28

For me everything smells like heavy cream. Urine, breath. Maybe because that’s how I got into ketosis in the first place, by just drinking heavy cream for 2 days (by direction of my MD). Later I found out what KETO really was and modified it. But since those two days everything smells of heavy cream.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #29

The pee thing has been constant for me from about day 3 of Keto to present, and I’m pretty confident I’m fat adapted.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #30

But like I said, my ketones are always quite high, so that may account for the extra pungent pee smell.

I pretty much feel exactly the same as before. I’m pretty certain I’m in ketosis and have been for a while because I’m under 5 net carbs most days…unless the whole gluconeogenesis thing is real, in which case I’m screwed.

(Teresa (turtle)) #32

I had that today after I ate a pouch of Keto Carne beef jerky!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #33

THIS. I don’t brush more than the AM and the PM, and I floss at night, but the sneaker inside feeling. Coated teeth…

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #34

Oh I fully believe it’s real. It’s likely that it’s impact on some people (me included) is overstated.