Can you be Keto and get really fat?

(Prancing Pony) #1

I know a lot of us complain that eventually the weight loss slows and some even gain a little back but I’m curious if anyone out there stayed keto but gained back a lot? Like properly obese.

Just curious if there is a limit when in ketosis.

I could easily gain back all my weight if I let myself. I love dishes with bacon, sausage, cheese, and butter. I used to joke that I could turn a 60-calorie veggie side dish (cauliflower and broccoli) into a 700-calorie one just by adding “a little” butter and cheese. And I could eat sausages all day long. I love 'em.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

Agree with @OgreZed - if you consistently overeat of course you’ll gain weight; however, for me personally I find that fat and protein are very filling so I can’t imagine I’d be able to consistently overeat on keto.

(Todd Allen) #4

Jimmy Moore.

(Prancing Pony) #5

I thought Jimmy said he went back to his old ways?

I agree I feel and assume you could get really fat while keto but I wondered if anyone knew an actual example

I hit a point where I put over 25lbs back on. You can absolutely get fat on keto. That was the main thing that got me off the “eat more fat” being the answer to all and not counting calories.

(Bob M) #7

Jimmy Moore ate carbs to regain weight.

(Bob M) #8

I think it depends on what you’re eating. If you’re eating steak and a minor amount of vegetables, it’s going to be hard. If you begin adding tons of PUFAs, fake (sweet) foods, and the like, I think it’s possible.

(Todd Allen) #9

I heard him blame stress. I don’t know to what degree he lapsed with respect to eating keto.

My personal belief is while eating keto is a great help for weight control other things still matter. I experienced a 15 lb rebound during a one month trial of the drug pioglitazone while staying keto and achieving my lowest glucose and highest ketone readings, sometimes over 8 mmol/L, while setting personal records weight lifting. I hoped I was gaining mostly muscle but fortunately was tracking with DEXA scans and saw I was gaining more fat than muscle. I experienced a similar thing to a lesser degree during a one month trial of progesterone.

(Justin Jordan) #10

Probably?

I was certainly capable of maintain a 280 pound body eating just meat and cheese, so I don’t there’s anything stopping me from going back if I let myself.

I mean, I’ve eaten 3000 calories today I’ve yet to have dinner.

(Windmill Tilter) #11

I’m positive that I could do it. I eat the same plain/simple food on keto every single day (e.g. 1lb of hamburger + salt) which is so boring that I don’t eat too much. I also limit exercise to 15 minutes twice per week which keeps my satiety signals largely in check.

If I were to let food be a source of entertainment and pleasure by eating keto pizza, keto fudge, keto cookies, etc on a consistent basis, I’m confident I could regain 50lbs without much effort. Similarly, if I spent an hour in the gym every day, I’m certain I could increase my appetite enough to gain a little bit of weight each week.

Everyone is dealt a different metabolic hand; if you play your cards badly enough, you can even screw up a royal flush. It’s probably different for everyone. The dumb move could be sweeteners, baked goods, exercise, insufficient sleep, alcohol, stress eating, etc. The trick is to find out what sabotages you, and not do that thing.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

(Daisy) #12

I’m not and have never been obese. But if you just measure my body fat, I would probably be close (meaning I am 5’6” and between 140-155 lbs but have very little muscle mass). I lost 15 lbs when I started keto, but last year during holiday season, I enjoyed a regular stream of “keto treats” and gained 20 lbs in 3 weeks. That then took almost a year to start losing again (have still only lost about 5-7 lbs and that was by going carnivore)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

Whenever you get into highly palatable foods things can become a problem. The thing with special KETO recipes and treats is when you start using lots of nut flour, cream cheese and other stuff common to those recipes you still end up with a 5-10g carb serving usually. If you can’t live with the small serving you’ll probably allow yourself a little extra or worse after putting in the work making your “treat”. If you’re doing it a lot, watch out carb creep! I really just do this kind of stuff on a special occasion. If I am just eating meat, eggs, a little cheese and veg sometimes I never gain weight. I eat as much as I want. If I started making fathead pizzas and keto muffins and ice cream I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be so stable anymore. :cowboy_hat_face:

Just because a recipe name has “Low Carb” or “KETO” in the name isn’t a license to go hog wild. It still has junk food potential. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #14

Say it louder :clap:t4:

(Erin Macfarland ) #15

I can go up 10 to 15 pounds even with a shortened eating window!

(Wendy) #16

I’m sure it’s possible but I haven’t yet. I’m not quite 2 years Keto but I’m pretty good about eating Keto treats and enjoy them. My weight generally fluctuates between 115 (hit 114 recently) and 119. I don’t think it’s fat but mostly fluids and food transport.
I’m quite sure if I over eat often I will put on weight, but if it’s occasionally it all balances out. We’ll see what happens in the next year.

(Katie) #17

Well…I cannot see how that is possible.

What stores fat in the body is insulin. What causes an insulin reaction? Well, eating…but not very much…it takes glucose in your blood to get a full o insulin reaction. So…you need lots of carbs to get your blood glucose up to do that.

So…if you are eating keto (not cheating) I cannot see how you would have enough insulin in your blood all the time to be storing away glucose in fat.

(Prancing Pony) #18

That’s what I think too. I know you can go up a bit as your body gets used to the new norm but I’m curious if there is someone out there that stayed in ketosis and manged to still gain 50lb

So, if I were to eat 10,000 calories of protein and fat everyday, with minimal carbs, where would those calories go?

Edit: As I recall, protein does have some insulin response?

(Prancing Pony) #20

I doubt you could eat 10,000 but I know Dave Asprey experimented with 3,500 calories a day and lost weight. He only kept it up for a few months because he said it was too much work eating so much :joy: