Can we prove this Dietician Wrong about the Lack of Research Supporting Keto?

“There’s a lot of claims being made, but there’s not a lot of quality research to support those claims yet,” says Mascha Davis, a registered dietitian and spokeswoman for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.

https://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/a19578300/keto-diet-history-weight-loss/

ugh

“Before you dive into the keto diet to shed a few quick pounds, keep in mind that there are some pretty nasty downsides. Common side effects of the keto diet include rapid muscle loss if you’re not eating enough calories, headaches, and nausea (sometimes referred to as the “keto flu”). Plus, you can feel constipated because your diet lacks fiber. And people with diabetes who try the keto diet risk major complications from low blood sugar, Davis says.”

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #3

I mean, there are annual conferences where folks report on all manner of LCHF and KETO research and the history of it all. All manner.

(Dan Dan) #4

How can she make that claim if there is not enough quality research yet :thinking:

Typical Anti-Keto cherry picking facts :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

This whole thread Show Me the Science addresses her half assed remark. It is full of links to hard science. Some have posted magazine and newspaper articles that can easily be skipped through. But there is a lot of hard science on this thread.

The reason there are no “quality research” for anything these days is if it doesn’t line the pockets of big pharma and food industry segments like sugar and potatoes, there is no research money. The dietitians have a long way to catch up because most of universities have chairs funded by the same groups.

That is why we have thousands of people in this forum doing n=1 experiments. There are now hundreds of medical practitioners who are collecting information from patients like Dr. Fung, Dr. Gerber, etc. that have seen keto/lchf/paleo style diets work for very sick people.

This ^ is hilarious. “Watch out, diabetics! This way of eating will lower your blood sugar! Danger, danger!”

(Yes, of course diabetics need to watch their bg levels when they go keto - but it’s because it works SO well.)

(Mike Glasbrener) #7

I find the drum beat of uninformed ignorant dietary “experts” ranting their conventional misinformation exhausting. I’ve been keto for about a year with occasion intentional lapses without any of the problems she mentions except for the temporary Keto Flu. If the Ketogenic diet was a legal entity it could retire comfortably from winning libel law suits daily! Class action lawsuit anyone?:stuck_out_tongue:

(Michele) #8

It’s tedious seeing these kinds of articles recycled week in week out. Always written by uninformed, unscientific writers. The problem is that knowledgeable keto people spot the holes instantly, while the uninitiated are scared away from the benefits of keto and may never get to meet someone who explains the errors perpetuated in these hideous articles.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Gary Taubes and Nina Teicholz should be required reading in all high school science curricula! :bacon:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #10

You can always link anyone to Nutrition Coalition:
https://www.nutritioncoalition.us/lowcarbohydrate-diets-have-these-been-adequately-researched

I mean, there’s a whole spreadsheet that shows the results of nearly everything:

Not to be outdone by Nina Teicholz or Sam Feltham (I believe he owns the Google sheet), there’s the irrepressible and delightful Dr. Zoe Harcombe:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2014/11/academic-studies-questioning-current-dietary-advice/

I really like Dr, Harcombe’s list, as it’s all about the current dietary advice. Ask any one defending the current SWD to show YOU the science. Refute any of those studies, much less all of them.

(Candy Lind) #11

Could it be that she’s a spokeswoman because she’s an incompetant dietician?

… if you don’t get with your doctor and get off all the meds you no longer need!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I wouldn’t pass that up! We need to find a keto lawyer who wants to take them on.

(Bunny) #12

(karen) #13

I’m pretty sure we’re looking at a classic four dog defense. For the tobacco industry, it went:

1. Smoking definitely doesn’t cause cancer, there’s no evidence it causes cancer.
  2. There’s no consensus on the evidence; smoking may cause cancer but second hand smoke definitely doesn’t.
  3. Mice may get cancer but mice are not humans, cigarettes are not additive.
  4. People choose to smoke – and who are we to impose on people’s constitutional rights? - etc.

By and large, the IFIC and other Big Food lobbying is holding firm at level 2: “insufficient evidence” / muddying the water, along with a nice helping of level 4. You could hook 30,000 people up to continuous blood monitoring and independent diet diary recording, and they’d still claim “insufficient evidence” and put that out there for their flunkies to parrot. There will never be “sufficient evidence” coming from these councils because the people in power do not want to change public perception or open the can of worms that basically says, “if a corporation messed with a non-sweet, non-oily plant to produce refined sugar and oil from it, it’s going to make you sick as surely as if you’d ingested arsenic.”

ETA: If our taxes were grossly subsidizing sustainable meat production or coconut oil, you can bet the evidence against corn, wheat and soy would become sufficient, probably overnight.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

Maybe we should approach the bacon industry to help fund low carb diet research. They would have a lot to gain.:pig::bacon:

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

So true and I think the egg industry should chip in too. I know we go through eggs like crazy these days and I am sure a lot of others doing keto/lchf are too.

(TJ Borden) #16

A 5 dozen pack, every trip to Costco, and sometimes at the grocery store between Costco runs

(Sunny) #17

This annoys me know end. How as. layperson I know more than someone who spent years studying Nutrition and dietetics ( I’m assuming she/he has)

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Guess you don’t find what you don’t want to find. I stumbled on this awesome list recently and many studies were done years ago.