Can We Predict A Stall-Point? (AKA: "give me your data points!")

(Dom DePlume) #1

Greetings, keto-peeps. I’d like your help with something. This is for those of us who seem to stall, but I’d like to get data from everyone, because I think it may be able to help people keep their expectations of keto–especially as it pertains to weight-loss–realistic.

One of the things I wish more of us long(er)-term ketofolk would do is reinforce to newbies or the keto-curious that the initial weight-loss (and let’s admit it: that’s the primary reason people are interested) is A) not a linear thing for nearly EVERYONE, and B) should be looked at/projected more as a percentage of excess body-weight, NOT POUNDS. How many times has someone asked you “So, how much weight can I lose, and how fast?” It’s become more and more apparent to me that for the first period of time after starting keto, people will (generally) drop 30%-50% of their excess body-weight. And then, almost invariably, they’ll stall. And often, they’ll stall HARD.

In my case, I’m 5’8", and 50 years old. When I started back in November, I weighed 244lbs. At first, the weight came flying off (like it often does). I dropped 35lbs in roughly 2 months. The following 6 weeks, I dropped another 8-ish. And there I’ve stayed since about March. A pound up and down, but that’s about it.

By DEXA scan, I know that my ideal weight for my frame and musculature is about 170lbs. Again, I started at 244. So the entire amount of excess adipose was roughly 74lbs. The first 35 are off, and came off like lightning. Then things started grinding down to a crawl.

This exact same % split has been mirrored by my partner. She’s experienced nearly the exact same split, as well as three friends of mine, my sister, and a few other people I know in various keto groups I’m either a member of, or admin.

Then us forum regulars so often see a post from someone who cries “I’ve been doing this for 9 weeks, and I’ve only dropped 8lbs! Where’s my dramatic weight-loss?” only to find out after a question or two that they’re a 5’2" 40-year-old female and started at 135lbs. Using a simple Ideal Weight Calculator (Miller formula), they “should” weigh 123.1lbs, so they really only have 12-ish ponds to lose, or at most (Robinson formula) 115.5lbs–so call that 20lbs to lose. By one calculator, they’re nearly at their ideal weight, and by another, they’re a little short of 50% of their way there.

This would explain the phenomena of “the more you have to lose, the more dramatic the initial weight-loss is”. We all know that’s true on one level, but I think if we can illustrate it more clearly, we can keep people real, keep them from getting discouraged, keep them motivated, and keep them from chucking the entire keto idea simply because a number of a measurement device isn’t changing.

So, I’d really like to know: Where and when did you stall? Use this calculator here (https://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html) so we keep the metrics the same. Let’s see if this “30%-50% excess” perception has any merit to it.

Thanks, friends, and KCKO…

(Heather Miller) #2

At 5 ft 4 my ideal weight is 123 lb. I am just going from starting keto 15 months ago at 220. Current weight is 150 ( up or down 2 or 3 since last October) so…I lost 70 lbs in 7.5 months and only 27 to go so I definitely lost more than the expected percentages from your formula before I stalled. Also given that I have 10 to 15 lbs of skin hanging around my middle I think I am only about 15 lbs from goal…

(Joe) #3

I started at 190 5’9
Ideal body weight 152
Currently 161 after 4 months ketO with a stall for about 4 weeks after pretty straight line weight loss.
Lost about 75% of excess by those numbers.
18% body fat.

Happy where I am at so I eased up a bit enjoying and low carb beer and higher protein recently.

I wonder if this is a behavioral thing. I know it’s harder for me to fast now so I listen to my body. I’ll make a push again in another month if I stay the same.

(Randy) #4

I’m 53 yrs old. 5’10".
I lost 70 lbs in the first 4 months.
I lost 20 lbs in the next 4 months.
Totally stalled for the next 4 months.
I’ve lost 18 lbs in the last 6 weeks. (Removing all alcohol and HWC for coffee and treats corresponds with breaking the stall).

(Dom DePlume) #5

Thanks, people! I’d like to kinda divorce myself from my “theory” and continue on with this as a pure fact-finding project. Maybe we can spot trends?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

Weight loss is definitely not linear.
Im a 5"4 female who started at 81kg, I wish to be roughly 60kg.
I am half way through week 6 with a total loss of 15.5 loss (7.2kg)
I have been hovering around that for a few weeks now.
I know i’ve only just become fat adapted, and now the magic will start to happen.
Even though my weight loss evens out to be 1.5kg per week I expect that to slow down to at least half a kg and I am not disillusioned that I can lose more weight than that.

(Alec) #7

Dom
Great idea, and I want to help. Which target formula should we use? My data is below.

Starting weight 124kg (Aug17)
Current stall weight 87kg (May18)
Ideal weight 73-80kg (depending on the choice of formula)

Cheers
Alec

Result
Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 74.9 kgs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 73.2 kgs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 77.7 kgs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 80.5 kgs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 62.0 kgs - 83.7 kgs
US Units Metric Units Other Units
Gender male female
Height
centimeters

(Teresa (turtle)) #8

SW: January 2017: 186 lbs.
C(stall)W: June 2018: 167 lbs.
Miller weight: 132 lbs.

(Carolus Holman) #9

SW 265. October 9th 2017. Height 5’10". Age, Over 50.
CW 185 June 7th 2018.
Total loss is about 75-80 pounds.

Ideal weight around 165. Stalled since Feb 2018.

#KCKO.

(Michele) #10

Love the nature of this enquiry :slight_smile:
Female, 56, 5’2"
Highest weight recorded 228 lbs around 4-5 years ago. Lost weight got to about 180 lbs and then crept back up to 210 lbs where I started keto 9 months ago.
Currently around 175 lbs and been here for about 2 months nearly.
23% loss since the highest weight (53 lbs lost from 228 lbs)
17% loss in last 9 months (35 lbs lost from 210).
Using the highest suggested weight of 137 lbs I am somewhere between 48% and 58% of the way to ideal.
Currently my LBM is 104 lbs.
I spent a long time in my life around 154 lbs so not sure if I will ever reach these lower limits. My aim is to get back to that 154 lbs if I can.

Based on the Robinson formula (1983), your ideal weight is 115.5 lbs
Based on the Miller formula (1983), your ideal weight is 123.1 lbs
Based on the Devine formula (1974), your ideal weight is 110.5 lbs
Based on the Hamwi formula (1964), your ideal weight is 110.0 lbs
Based on the healthy BMI recommendation, your recommended weight is 101.1 lbs - 136.7 lbs

(Laura) #11

I started at 327 in September 2017.
My weight had been coming down at a nice clip, and has slowed down since March. Not completely stalled or too early in one to know for certain. However, I have been bouncing around 245-247 lbs the last 5 weeks.
Total loss…80-82 pounds depending on the day.
According to the calculators, my ideal weight at 5’ 7" is around 135. 192 lbs total to lose, 80 lbs is about 42% of 192.
This absolutely fits into your hypothesis.
Now, out of curiosity, do we have any data showing the average length of a stall at this point in the healing process?

(Deb) #12

Started at 210 3 years ago. Started out doing 5:2, then low carb, then keto and IF.

Lowest was last summer at 130 but that was totally starving and super low cal and tanked my thyroid.

I have “settled” around 140.

Ideal between 125-150.

I’d like to get to 130 range and maintain there. So I guess you could call it a stall but I don’t really try hard.

(Allison) #13

SW 200.9
CW 201.2

Ideal weight 140
Started keto 12/01/17
So, I don’t think even people with a lot to lose, lose a lot initially either, not just those that don’t have much.

(Dom DePlume) #14

No data whatsoever. I think we’re all still trying to suss this all out…