Can starting keto cause restless body

(Chelsea Barnett) #1

I am on day 4 of keto. Last night and the night before I couldn’t sleep at all. I woke up atleast 15 times. I had restless legs and pretty much like my whole body was restless. It was miserable. And this morning I still feel that way. Will this go away? Is this what people mean by keto flu ?? I really want to stick to this diet as I can already tell it will work for me…I just don’t like this negative side effect…But it if won’t last long I can try to push thry it. Help???

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Yes, this is a common side effect when starting.

For the most part, once fat adapted, Keto helps sleep.

(Jim) #3

This is often associated with lack of magnesium … adding 400mg of magnesium glycinate helped me a lot, I was doing 2 99mg potassium and that was less effective.

The form has the ketoaide recipe that will help with general electrolyte imbalances at the start of keto too.

(Chelsea Barnett) #4

Thanks. Do you know about how long it takes on average ? I can’t go like a month of this. I have 4 kids that rely on me and I need my sleep lol

(Chelsea Barnett) #5

Cool. I’ll try the magnesium. Any specific brands?

If cost isn’t too much of an issue, I’d take an electrolyte supplement so you get all the major categories: magnesium, sodium, calcium, potassium.

And then add extra magnesium on top of it. I think any magnesium supplement would work pretty much the same.

Sleep is one of the bigger challenges early on. Mine finally normalized.

I had this although not to the same extent. My circadian rhythm changed. I was always a night person and suddenly I was not and was waking up early. Eventually everything went back to normal. I was mostly getting up at night to go to the bathroom so I started limiting liquids before going to sleep. The weird part was even though I was getting less sleep I was more awake during the day and could function well

You could try saving a few carbs for the evening. Extra blankets helped too. Pre keto I took melatonin when I could not sleep so that may help

(Chelsea Barnett) #8

Will definitely look into electrolyte supplements. Thanks

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

Well fat adaption typically takes 6-8 weeks, but you should see improvements before that. It’s a ramp up, gradual process, not an on/off switch.

But I agree with the magnesium suggestion. Though I take magnesium citrate. I honestly wouldn’t know which was best for this issue.

(Jim) #10

There are several types of magnesium supplements available … not all of them work well. In particular it seems that magnesium oxide is available everywhere and most common in multi-vitamins. It is also the least bioavailable version … mostly it acts as a laxative … which if you have issues there is a great option!

Glycinate is the most bioavailable … and the hardest to get. I found it at a health food store but I’m sure that amazon would be a choice … or google it to find options.

With a clean supplement that is a single ingredient I’m not sure brand is as important … KAL is what I have and SolarRay (sp?) is another I have seen.

I also just bought a bottle of LyteShow … drops you add to water. It might be sea salt and extra supplements but it is for adding electrolytes to your water. It seems to have fixed my headaches in 2 days.

(Chelsea Barnett) #11

Thanks for the info! My dad actually has the first one you mentioned. But it is a laxative so I’m scared to take it. Because I already feel like horrible from all the other changes. I might try to find one of the other ones

(Jim) #12

The LyteShow product is mail order I think … not typically sold in stores. Very useful. Health food stores often have more selection for a premium vitamin/mineral item and if you have one near you could be taking it today.

Search this forum for KetoAide … I have seen many people say they benefit from that (a DIY recipe) and I think the ingredients should be available from a grocery store.

I have also seen some folks benefit from taking at probiotic when they start on keto, I’m having success with that and there are lots of options in stores too.

(Chelsea Barnett) #13

I’m actual low on money til Monday so I think I’m gonna have to try the DIY until then bc I googled others and I don’t have that much money right now. Blah lol

(LeeAnn Brooks) #14

This is a really inexpensive and effective ketoaide recipie.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

@chellyyy093 if you don’t have lite salt or no salt (has only potassium and can be used insted of lite which has both sodium and potassium. Just try having some avocado with the ketoaide. It is very high in potassium.
I generally make mine with just pink salt and powered magnesium citrate. Got tired of the bottles so ordered powdered. I think I consume plenty of potassium most days.

Good luck sorting it out.