Can I swim while on keto diet?

(Faye ) #1

Hi there,
Can I swim while on a keto diet? I have been on a keto diet for a short while now and have seen a big difference in the energy levels. I usually do aerobic and flexibility exercises for fast fat burning. I read that swimming is an effective exercise for weight loss and also helps in burning calories faster. Says that swimming an hour burns 500 calories. In addition to that swimming can help you to build lean muscles and ignites the metabolism.
Also, Prof Tim Noakes mentioned in his theory that properly keto-adapted people can do the channel swimming without feeding. I’m planning for a gunite pool installation at our home. Is it good to do the channel swimming for the beginners? How effective is it? How long should I swim to get a good result?

(Sonia A.) #2

You can do any type of exercise on a ketogenic diet. You just have to be aware that you’re not going to be at 100% at first. When you’re fat adapted, your body fat will fuel your workout. Be careful about your electrolytes.

(John) #3

There are many studies that have essentially proven that exercise does nothing for weightloss, here is a link covering many of them, I only read part but it seems to cover it well at a high level.
Exercise for health and enjoyment, a pool is great for both in my book, but don’t expect it to do much for weight. You have the right diet so I wouldn’t worry.

(m) #4

Nope! You stop floating on keto. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding, why not? If you like swimming, go for it. It’s gotta be about the best in terms of not putting excess stress on your joints and such. I don’t think I could swim for an hour straight though (like actually swimming… not just bobbing around splashing people).
Building a pool just cause you’ve heard it was good exercise might be a little overkill though? But… if it’s in the budget, I would too!
What about going to a public pool, trying it out for a while and seeing if you get the results you’re looking for? Then you can decide if it’s worth it or not to take the plunge! Haaaaaha get it? Take the plunge?! :smile:

(Faye ) #5

Thanks for your replies…

The public pool is a good option. I believe that building a pool adds up the home value.

(Brett) #6

I’m about 6 weeks in to my keto diet. I’m a keen age grouper triathlete. I have found my energy levels whilst swimming has remained pretty constant. Where as my cycle has suffered and significant dip. Which I’m hopefully coming out of

Somewhat off-topic here, but I’d say this often depends on where you’re located. If you’re in a warm area, then perhaps yes. But, here in New England, pools often lower home values due to the costs of maintenance and hassles for what turns out to be 60-75 days/year you can actually use it. Here’s another pool option if you don’t want to go full-boat pool: https://www.endlesspools.com/products.php

I’m a swimmer and can easily go for 45 minutes or more at a time while on keto (also pre-keto, for that matter).

(Ross) #9

I switched over to LCHF/Banting for medium and long distance open water swimming and it’s worked very well. I did 5 miles of open water butterfly with no need for feeding along with a variety of 2 mile events both using front crawl and butterfly. Absolutely no problem with energy.

I was very worried about “bonking” so I repeatedly tested the energy by doing some limited fasting prior to swim practice. I couldn’t get myself to “bonk” even with 12 to 24 hours without food.

Further, both energy & speed for me has been very consistent for both shorter intervals (sprints) and longer intervals. My ability to hold faster intervals on 100 & 200 yard distances has improved drastically. I’m much less likely to peter out toward the end of practice…even when not eating all day.

Also dropped about 25 pounds without even trying. Strength remained constant in the weight room so I’m assuming it was mostly/all fat & water mass.

As always, individual results may vary!

(Faye ) #10

Thanks for your responses. I have started to swim for 15 min every day.

(Ross) #11

If we get enough Keto swimmers, maybe we can start a sub-forum! :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work and have fun in the water! Do you happen to have a Masters group at your gym?

(Ross) #12

https://www.usms.org/

^^^ here’s a link to US Masters for reference.
It involves people of all skill & ability levels.