Can I have a few more carbs if I exercise?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #21

Fructose is metabolised only in the liver. If you consume too much fructose at one time, the liver shifts the excess into the process of de novo lipogenesis, creating fat which then clogs up your liver and causes inflammation. Yes, eventually, if you stay in ketosis, the liver fat does get cleared away, but in the meantime you are stressing your liver something fierce. I would stay away from fructose and sucrose (which is half fructose) at all costs. If you don’t have either, the liver just chugs happily along producing any glucose the body might happen to need and manufacturing ketones for the organs that like them.

(Chris Robertson) #22

Even Dr Fung says to eat fruit and berries. He says that they contain enough fiber to minimize the negative effect of the fructose. I pointed out that Fung says fructose is generally the worst form of sugar because it is something I believe you should be careful with. It is my understanding that just because it is processed in the liver doesn’t mean it automatically becomes liver fat. You still get the chance to burn them before they get stored. If you don’t use them immediately then yes, they become liver fat which consequently makes you insulin resistant which also makes weight loss significantly more difficult and encourages weight gain.

(Ken) #23

You’ve got to really eat lot’s of fruit for that to happen…

(Brian) #24

It’s easy to pack away more than you’d think.

I gotta tell ya, one of my favorite things before keto was 100% fresh, nothing but apples, no sugar, no preservatives, apple cider. It would have been very easy for me to sit down and drink something between a quart or more of the stuff at one sitting. And I did that when it was in season. A quart of cider would likely be a dozen or maybe even a dozen and a half apples, give or take a little. I know some of it gets tossed but that’s still an awful lot of “natural” sugar. 100% apples, yes. (I didn’t know any better at the time.)

(Ken) #25

Well, II’d certainly say a quart of cider qualifies as “lot’s of fruit”…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

A quart of cider qualifies as “lots of fruit juice.” Juice is different from whole fruit because the fiber in it has been destroyed or left out. The point of whole fruit is that the fiber in it slows down the absorption of the fructose to a rate that the liver can handle safely; remove the fiber and the fructose in the juice becomes deadly to the liver. Dr. Fung and even Dr. Lustig (the anti-sugar campaigner) recommend whole fruit; they do not approve of juice.