Can I get some encouragement please?

(Maryann ) #1

Sorry, not trying to be a pain, but I’ve been at this about a month and have lost nothing. Not one single pound. I didn’t even lose the water weight most people lose. I’m getting discouraged. I know that I need to stay away from things that turn to sugar in my blood stream, so I’m trying to stay positive that I’m doing that for my health, but I’d like to lose something. I have at least 50 lbs to lose and I see people on here both heavier and lighter than me losing some weight. I know the urine strips aren’t the best way to test but I would assume that if they are showing I am throwing ketones then that is some indication of the diet “working”. I guess I’m just disappointed nothing has come off so far. I have a very hard time losing weight so I’m sort of struggling to stay the course when nothing seems to work for me. Has anyone else on here been in a similar situation and finally started losing weight? I don’t want to hear about stalls, i am asking about taking forever to even lose that first 5 lbs. thanks so much for the encouragement. I appreciate it.

Stongly recommend the latest interview with Amy Berger - lots of good info about stalls/problems.
http://ketowomanpodcast.com/

(ANNE ) #3

Buy some keto strips and look for the pink, it sounds like you need something tangible to tell you all will be well.
Also, whilst you want encouragement, it is hard to say KCKO, when you haven’t said what you are eating.
I eased into keto, you know, cut bread out at breakfast, cut cereals out, added bacon and eggs etc. Then I focused on lunchtimes, cheese not bread/ pasta, then started to focus on supper. Most importantly I stopped eating between meals.
Eventually, I dropped breakfast, and started to drink BPC, and then added in some keto aid during the day. I then started to look at how many carbs I was actually eating, then reduced them. Then the same for protein. I don’t count fat at all.

Six months in and this weekend I ate a lot more carbage, not anything like I have done in the past, and I know that my ketones are barely existent. But I also know that I can skip breakfast and lunch and eat a bit at supper and I will be right back on that horse.

Examine your food intake, drink plenty of water, keep up your salt intake. And keep at it.

(ANNE ) #4

I should add, that I found this forum too, so much help is here.

Beyond just losing the weight, if you have other issues it can confound the losing you desire. You might start to lose inches, generally feel better and have a clearer head. Remember going Keto is a whole body correction. It will help heal you and that alone requires a lot of energy which am sure can slow the loss in the beginning. I lost very little and it is due to this, yet have increased my general health tremendously!

(Maryann ) #6

I have been using the strips and I’m consistently “pink”. I often only do BPC for breakfast. I tend to really watch the carb intake. I believe I’m in ketosis as the strips turn pink, I’m just not losing weight. That is what frustrates me. Shouldn’t I lose if I’m in the pink? Maybe I just don’t understand and I’m confused by the diet. Although I eat like others and they lose but I do not.

(Maryann ) #7

I will take a look at this, thank you

(Maryann ) #8

That may be my issue. I have not been in good health for a long time. I just am not seeing results I can classify yet, maybe they are internal and I’m not noticing them yet? Usually I’m very in tune with my body and notice minor changes, but I’m not right now. I’m frustrated. Which isn’t good. Thank you for your help!

(linda) #9

Maryann- You mentioned not being in good health for a while - perhaps you are asking too much of your body now.
Healing your body first!
Then lose weight!
Hang in there …

Yep! Pretty much the same here. I’ve been on keto for 7 weeks now and I’ve lost one whole pound. I chalk that up to daily weight fluctuation. Have you tried taking measurements? You might be losing fat but it might not show on the scale. It should show up in how your clothes fit and definitely measure your waist. I’ve lost 2 inches in my waist since I started keto and I wasn’t even very strict in the beginning, I was eating way too much fat and I knew it but I didn’t care because I was just trying to get myself adjusted to the types of foods I would be eating. I’ve been taking baby steps into keto which works much better for me than trying to do everything perfectly and failing right off the bat. What are your macros? Are you tracking your food? It is possible to gain weight on keto if you don’t have your macros right. The only one that really needs to be specific and calculated is your fats. Carbs are less than 25 grams (net), protein should be anywhere between 0.8 and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of LEAN body mass. Don’t use your total weight to calculate protein, take your body fat % into consideration. If you are 30% body fat, then you would calculate protein based on the 70% that is lean muscle. Anything leftover after you calculate your carbs and proteins will be in fat. I really struggle with trying to get adjusted to watching macros and NOT calories. I am horrified sometimes because my meals can contain 700+ calories…but since I’m not eating 6 or 8 times each day, my calories aren’t through the roof. Once you figure out what your macros need to be, then you can start dialing down on how many calories and/or fat grams you need each day to start seeing the scale move in the right direction.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

Have you give us a daily example of what you eat? If you rest down all your stats, weight, height, age and a typical day’s meal plan with as much detail as possible, people can offer better ideas how to help you.

(Maryann ) #12

I’m 48 years old, 201 lbs and 5”4’.
A typical day is
Breakfast : coffee, hwc, coconut oil and cacao butter blended
Two hard boiled eggs with 1 tbs Mayo

Lunch: bun less burger, mayo, cheese

Dinner: meat with cauliflower and cheese

Electrolyte drink throughout the day as I suffer from low potassium which causes my heart to race. Ultima replenisher made with stevia.

My only “snack” is sugar free jello with cool whip. I eat very clean other than that.

I have Perfect Keto urine strips and have consistently been throwing ketones in my urine for over 2 weeks.

I have both b12 and iron anemia. This has been severe, really severe. I do have high inflammation my doctor has been trying to reduce. It has no known direct cause. I have psoriasis.

(linda) #13

Hi Ajax!
Thank you for posting this link to Keto woman with Amy Berger interview! It was perfect for me to hear her speak about chasing the fats instead of focusing on the low carb and how that might lead to ineffective use of our own body fat —lots more good valuable insights!
Again - thank you!

(linda) #14

It sounds so frustrating for you!
And just looking at your diet - it looks sound but I wonder if you’d think of reconsidering the Jello. I was eating that too and mixing with coconut milk - but was encouraged to look at the chemicals and dye in it - it was a surprise to see how toxic it is.
And from various podcasts more fat - some say 200grams will help get you Keto-adapted.
How is your stress level and sleep? Some medications also interfere with weight loss.
And also getting some good walks in can be good for the spirit!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #15

About how many calories per day is this?

(Maryann ) #16

Around 1200 to 1400 depending on the day

(Maryann ) #17

I know about the toxic level, that bad part is that I have very little I eat that gives me that little satisfaction so I left that one thing in. I have cooked fairly cleanly because my son has autism and we eat to keep his toxic level down. But since there isn’t much we can eat on Keto that gives you that little bit of satisfaction, I left it. How would I get more fat in? I swear I just don’t seem to be able to eat more fat. Thanks for the help. I’m pretty lucky as I don’t take any meds as I tend to think they often do more harm.

(Leslie) #18

Hi Maryann,

I’m sorry things are not progressing for you the way you had hoped. I’m glad you are here looking for help. I would really like to help. That being said, it seems to me that you are not eating enough. When you are in a calorie deprivation your metabolism will slow down to compensate. You won’t be able to lose in this slower state. Both the Dudes and Keto Woman have episodes regarding this very delicate balance.

Additionally, eating any processed foods is really not helpful. Are you making your own mayonnaise? The processed ones available in the US contain sugar. I have remarked in the past about hydrogenated oils and their toxicity, but I received a negative response to that expression so I will now simply invite you to do some research on the cool whip and the jello to determine for yourself if you really want to continue eating those.

I suggest you treat yourself to fat bombs instead.

I stole this from another thread
powertrix6h
Listening to #34 of the ketowoman podcast 1 kinda brought back some ideas into my head on how to get past this 6 month plateau I’ve been on. Like moving the goal posts to Total carbs as opposed to Net carbs so that sugar substitutes count as well, maybe not eating every piece of fat on a steak with the reason of “macros”, maybe not having the 600 calorie coffee in the morning. If the body doesn’t have a reason to go into its fat stores because there is plenty coming in, then it probably won’t.

I hope you find the remedy that turns on your internal combustion and the positive reinforcement that accompanies it

Take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Meditate. Remember, the only way you will ever see weight loss is if your body gets well.

Keto is a wellness program, not a diet

Trust the process

(Maryann ) #19

I will take a listen, thank you. Do you have a decent tasting fat bomb you enjoy? I really don’t love the taste of coconut in fatbombs. Also, not a huge fan of it needing to be frozen all the time, but will live with that. I struggle to eat more. This is actually a weird side effect of the anemia I have. It makes it very hard to eat, especially breakfast. Please note that I’m not disagreeing with you on the toxicity of those other ingredients. I have treated my son’s autism with strict diet control I actually wish I had a me to help me. I’m much better taking care of others over myself. I’m just so discouraged over the years with struggling to lose any weight that it is hard for me to keep positive. Thank you for your help.

(Leslie) #20

Hang in there. Let us help you until you’re stronger.

I have seen fast bomb recipes on a wide variety of websites. Do you have a favorite flavor? I will do a quick search for you