Can I eat these vegetables?

(Tsering M) #1

Pumpkin (the orange kind)

Radish (Daikon)

Ginger

Garlic

What are your goals?

(Todd Allen) #3

I eat all of them. You probably can too. Keto doesn’t forbid any foods you just need to restrict carbs and to a lesser degree protein to within your threshhold. For some people that means no more than 20 g total carbs and even less is better while others might consume 50 g net carbs (not counting the fiber).

Anyway, of the things you mentioned, typical use of garlic and ginger as seasoning is probably ok as you aren’t going to get much carbs from a tablespoon or so of them. Radish you could more easily over do, but if you really love the flavor and want a lot you might consider eating radish tops/greens instead of eating the bulbs. It’s hard to over do any greens especially eating them raw where they have so much bulk for their carb load. If you garden you can choose varieties more prized for greens. Pumpkin I’d be more careful as it is the one you could most easily over do and trash your carb budget for the day. But if instead of eating pumpkin with a dollop of sour cream, you eat sour cream (pure cream without starches and other crap of many brands) with a dollop of pumpkin you ought to be golden.

As @brownfat says, it depends on goals.

Regarding pumpkin, the USDA says 19.82 carbs per cup, 7.1 are fiber and 8.09 are sugar. That makes the remaining 4.63 complex carbs. Also note, this isn’t pumpkin pie with the extra sugar and the crust. If you want to eat a few bites for some orange color, seems reasonable. If you’re looking to eat a lot like, well…

The Details:
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3143?manu=&fgcd=&ds=

I encourage you to poke around on the USDA site. The search is pretty good. You’ll get a good idea of carb counts for most of your questions.

(Tsering M) #5

Thank you.

(Tsering M) #6

Would green pumpkin be better than the orange one in terms of carb content?

(Tsering M) #7

Gained a lot of weight in the last few years due to thyroid issues - need to lose quite a bit.

Also have related health issues.

I have been grain free continuously for over a year; never liked sweet taste (love salty/sour/spicy) but took care to cut any other sweet stuff, like fruits.

Cut dairy except for ghee.

Still as heavy.

Started ketogenic diet April 2015 - later that month we got struck with an earthquake. We had to cook, eat, & sleep on our lawn with neighbors - end of keto bc people eat rice here. Then in May that year, we had another big earthquake - back to outdoor communal eating.

Very soon after that India blocked the border for FIVE whole months - we had severe shortage of basic necessities as a result (we are a landlocked tiny country - India is huge & an even huger bully).

For my keto needs, there was no cooking gas; I had to eat what my family ate - rice! (Most of the cooking had to be done via electricity and every household owns at least one rice cooker here.) For at least six months we lacked gas, petrol, food stuff (except what we can grow here), & medicines.

Most of 2016 I did AIP & listening to Sarah Ballantyne, took her advice that fixing the thyroid (+ leaky gut) should take precedence over weight loss.

Then nephew suddenly announced his wedding - we always have a mandatory group family photo taken , plus traditional outfit sewn (which is so form fitting); panicked & jumped back into keto again :slightly_smiling_face:

(Tsering M) #8

Garlic - I do like to eat quite a lot of them, raw as well.

Ginger - I use a lot of ginger everyday too, but often times the ginger flesh doesn’t get eaten; for instance, I use it in tea & bone broth but it’s being strained out before I drink the beverage.

(Todd Allen) #9

According to cronometer

28 g raw garlic has 8.5 g of starch and 0.3 g of sugar. Other than the high starch it has a good nutritional profile, very high in manganese complementing meat which has very little. Also a great source of B6.

28 g raw ginger has 4.0 g starch and 0.5 g sugar, but not as valuable nutritionally as garlic.

According to myfitnesspal 1 cup (224 g) green pumpkin has 15 g carbs of which 5 g are sugar. So it is better for keto than orange pumpkin more commonly eaten here in the US.

(Tsering M) #10

Thanks!

Ginger, however, can aid digestion :slightly_smiling_face:

(Amy Arnold) #11

Helpful thread. Thanks for sharing.