Can I eat around the pasta?

(karen) #1

this may be the dumbest question ever, I googled it every which way possible so here I am. If I make a lasagna for my family, can I eat around the pasta or do carbs transfer to the entire dish? Im serious, so no laughing. thanks!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

You can eat around the pasta, but there are other things that still have carbs, like the tomato sauce. Look for Rao’s brand tomato sauce (its expensive, but low carb). Or just look for the lowest net carb (carbs minus fiber) tomato sauce you can find.

Another alternative is to make: @Brenda’s Baked Spaghetti. I’m sure your family will enjoy it, and you can enjoy it as well :slight_smile:

Oh, and welcome to the Forums.

(karen) #3

thank you! glad to be here, just working my way thru my options

(Carl Keller) #4

Hello and welcome Karen.

For someone with a gluten allergy I would say no. But if you are just trying to restrict carbs, the amount of carbs that have leeched into the other parts of the lasagna are pretty insignificant.

You could substitute zucchini for a small portion of the lasagna…

(Windmill Tilter) #5

I think it’s fine to eat around the noodles. When I’m cooking for my family though, I found that it was easier just to make something separate for myself in advance, or eat a very simple meal that takes me just a minute to prepare (e.g. chicken salad). I like to make meals in advance on the weekends that just take a minute or so to warm up. Having a plate full of noodles is more temptation than I want to risk!

One thing that has made quick meals a snap for me is Italian sausage. I fill up a roasting pan with sausage, and then roast them in the oven for 30 minutes. It takes me 2 minutes to put them on the tray, and then 2 minutes to put them in a tupperware once they’re cooked. There’s 8 meals pretty much squared away in 4 minutes. :smile:

That’s like eating around the pasta in spaghetti, why not just make yourself something else or put the sauce on top of zucchini and make your own sauce, not made in a factory.

(Bunny) #7

Just make sure that tomato sauce isn’t laced with a mixture of added refined sugars or any kind of added sugar…lol

The natural sugar in tomato’s is about 2.6 grams sugar, 3.9 grams of carbs and 1.2 grams fiber per 100 grams or 3 ounces… oooh!

(Christy) #8

I’m glad you asked! I have been wondering the same. I’ve always leaned toward the idea that there’s no way the starch doesn’t somehow mingle with the rest of the dish. Hope someone has some clear insight :ear:t2::ear:t2:

That sounds like a lot of work, eating around almost everything in the lasagna.
I make lasagna with egg noodles og egg pancakes for the whole family.

Here is a recipe for you:

You could also make pancakes of just eggs and heavy cream. I use 1/2cup to 8 eggs. It takes some practice to fry these, use medium heat, some butter and carefully flip the pancakes when they are dry. Use the pancakes as pasta.

(Jane) #10

I ate around the lasagne noodles at a company lunch one time. No idea how much sugar in the sauce. I didn’t feel like fasting so I ate a large salad and ate the meat sauce and cheese off the noodles and left them. Nobody was paying any attention and I covered my mound of naked noodles with my napkin when I was done.

I wouldn’t do this at home - like others said I would make myself something different, but if stuck with nothing else served and you want to eat then no big deal.

Funny! I’m a bit gregarious so I would look around and see who’s eating up their lasagna and offer them mine in trade for their salad LOL