Can fasting speed after surgery recovery?

(Joanna Parszyk ) #1

I’m going to have a surgery tmr, it is cutting the nerves endings in the sacrum area. What are your options about fasting to improve the recovery? It will be just a local anesthetic, 3 day of taking it easy tops. I did few 40-45 h fasts and doing daily 16:8 for the health benefits rather than weight loss.Many thanks in advance!

(Brian) #2

My own opinion only, but I would rather be very particular about what I eat following a surgery than not eat anything. Your body will need some things to rebuild during the healing process and it would seem like having a good source of protein, collagen and maybe a few other things would provide easy access to raw materials.

It would definitely be a time to avoid stuff that was on the naughty list anyway and maybe a good time to avoid anything that might be borderline.

But that’s just my own opinion. Others might think differently.

(Ellie) #3

I had surgery on my foot in August and considered fasting. As it was I didn’t feel like eating 3 meals a day but I wasn’t forcing fasting either. I had minimal swelling and immflamation until I had a couple of days off keto about 4 weeks after surgery due to work travelling. Then my foot swelled like crazy. I was actually worried it had got infected somehow.
I went back to keto and within 36 hours the swelling had gone.
Lesson to myself was that keto is definitely beneficial post surgery, but fasting is best let to how you feel at the time.

They say while fasting your body has a chance to heal itself sounds. I would do it but I’m not sure expert. Good luck and God speed on your recovery. Did they tell you that they will grow back? Would love to hear how you are after if it helped you.

(Ruth) #5

I had hernia repair surgery in August. My surgeon is a keto advocate and his wife travels the country speaking about keto, so he really knows what he is talking about. I asked him about fasting and he told me no, for the immediate future. Maybe this is just for hernia recovery, but he actually told me I needed to eat more protein for the next 3-6 months while my body is building protein around the mesh they inserted into my abdomen. Even with increased protein consumption, I continue to lose weight, although more slowly than I was. Currently down 84 lbs in 16 months.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #6

I’ll try, see how it goes and report back.
Many, many thanks for the wishes, ppl here are so lovely and helpful that my heart melts…

(Robert C) #7

You mentioned you did some fasts before.
From a practical perspective, I would think back on any intestinal distress they caused.
Especially breaking a fast can lead to some time when it is best to not be too far from a bathroom.
Then, think about that in relation to your surgery.
If some upset was typical for you, would sitting, extra pushing and frequent trips be okay with what you have been told about how you will feel after the surgery?

(Robert C) #8

Also, you might think about the sick / wounded animal approach to this (where they ignore trying to find food and just want to sit somewhere safe). If you don’t want to eat - don’t eat - but don’t artificially repress an urge to eat while recovering.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #9

I ever had a problem breaking a fast. Usually l did it with an avocado, scrambled eggs with butter and chia seed pudding. Always worked perfectly well since l was supplementing with salt and magnesium. :wink:

(Joanna Parszyk ) #10

I think this approach is simply brilliant!

(Nummy) #11

how do you make chia pudding? i’d like to try it

(Joanna Parszyk ) #12

I mix 20 g of chia seeds with 150 (very thick consistency) to 170ml (more runny consistency) of unsweetened milk substitute ( for example: almond/soy/coconut milk) and leave it overnight in the fridge (an occasional stir wouldn’t hurt). I like it just simple like that without any sweetener but u can add it to taste together with maybe a cinnamon or other spices of you choice.
Voilà! :wink:

(Nummy) #13

could you use heavy cream?

(Joanna Parszyk ) #14

Sure!! Probably even better :thinking::wink:

(Nummy) #15

NICE, cant wait to try it thank you

(Joanna Parszyk ) #16

Let me know how did you like it :smiley:

(Nummy) #17

will do as soon as I figure out how muck 20g is and my fast is over lol

(Joanna Parszyk ) #18

20 grams is 4 tsp and 150 ml is 2/3 cup.

(Joanna Parszyk ) #19

Enjoy your fast! Which kind are you doing?

(Lisa Anderson) #21

Hey guys just joined. In general this is important to me since I am doing keto right now but I need to do spinal surgery, so I feel like it’s important to know what are the potential food recommendations I should follow. I am scheduled for a laser spinal surgery to get rid of a hernia. I am hoping that my orthopedic surgeon is doing this surgery based on the technique of Dr. Tony Mork. i am hoping that it all will be over soon and without any potential complications. They say the recovery time with this laser surgery is a lot shorter and people get back on their feet faster. I am ind of scared but I hope that everything will be fine. So yes if you have any suggestions about diets I would love some advice