Camino de Carnivore?

Hello All,

I might struggle to get anything on this given how few their are eating this way in the grand scheme of things but thought it’s worth a shot.

I’m walking the Camino de Santiago at the end of the month. Approx. 35 days covering 780km. I am still in the early stages of the ZC and it’s adaption but see this as a good an opportunity as any to progress it. Plus with the benefits and the relief from all sorts of autoimmune issues it’s in my best interests to continue it so that I can fully enjoy all other aspects of the experience.

I have read in other areas that it is manageable to get bacon and eggs for breakfast and that cheeses and cured meats are readily available. However I don’t consume dairy and try to limit cured meats due to their sodium levels. Basically does anyone know if it’s possible? Whether or not the albergues/hostels offer their kitchens to cook your own evening meals? And if i’ll be able to buy enough meat at an affordable price along the way?

I’m not naïve to the fact that I might have to use other sources of fuel to manage just like our ancestors would of. That makes sense to me and I’ll mainly be using calorie rich nuts if that is the case. But I will be avoiding most other plant matter and especially the commonly found potato, pasta and bread that dominates most restaurant menus. Even if it means fashioning my own bow and arrow and heading into the wilderness!

Keep my fingers crossed for somebody with experience with this. Thanks for reading.

You’re going to have a bad time trying to limit sodium eating ZC and trying to exercise. Electrolytes are in high demand when lowering your insulin levels.

Here is a blog from Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD and Jeff Volek, PhD, RD

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-nutritional-ketosis-keto-flu-adrenal-function/

I’ve been experimenting with Keto/Carnivore for a few months now whilst continuing my endurance running and find I work and feel better with lower levels. I salt my water and that’s all I need. I know there’s plenty of studies but there’s plenty of studies saying meats bad for you, and we all know how that turns out. Question everything. I find lower levels work best for me. Higher levels overwhelm my body and cause fatigue.

Nice! I thought “early stages of the ZC” meant days/week or two, not months. Glad that you are fine tuning it to suit your needs. Keep going strong!

(Peter Schmitt) #5

A good opportunity would be dried meat. You could take it with you and eat it, if you can’t get fresh meat. The main problem with this is the price and the additional ingridients. My “trick” is : there are many, cheap packs of dried meat without any spices, suger ect - but only for dogs. If this is ok for you, you could try these ( I do, don’t jugde me ). Fat is another problem. If you are ok with butter, it is solved, but since you try to avoid dairy, this is not a solution for you.
The ideal solution would be pemmican. It’s a perfect carnivore travel food, but it is a lot work to make youself. But for your great project, this could be worth it.

Good luck for carnivore and much fun on your walk.

(Katie) #6

A nutrition expert in the keto community went to a conference in Spain a few weeks ago. I recall her eating a lot of charcuterie. I am not sure if this is available in the Spanish region in which your pilgrimage is. The higher sodium might be okay given that you will need electrolytes.

(Chris) #7

Don’t sweat sodium levels, eat what you like and can get. Many folks report not needing salt later on, many report still relying on it.

Hi, I do a lot of trekking, not done the Camino de Santiago, but I recommend you watch a film called “The Way” “The Way” is a 2010 Spanish drama film directed, produce and written by Emilio Estevez, starring his father Martin Sheen, Deborah Kara Unger, James Nesbitt, Yorick van Wageningen, and Renée Estevez. Really good film about their journey on the Camino de Santiago and be sure to watch the extras where Martin Sheen and Emillo Esteves comment on the making of the film. Spiritually Enlightening.

I just finished the Camino Frances. I eat keto to keep cancer at bay. I ate keto from St Jean Pied de Port for about a week, then got very, very hungry. I started eating tortillas (which have potato) and some bread. Three weeks in, I was horrified with how thin I got so I started eating EVERYTHING. I was shovelling in meat, cheese, carbs, chips, bread and Tarte de Santiago. Lol. I only just maintained my weight.
I have since regained all the weight I dropped, and am feeling fine.

Thanks Ruth, I hope you enjoyed the experience.
Feel like I’m diving into the unknown a little but I’ll make it work somehow. My biggest thing is finding places to cook my own food at night. Then as long as I consume enough protein to maintain muscle mass the rest is just fat. I’m already quite lean. If survival mode kicks in then anything goes. But I don’t want every day of the trip to revolve around food.

You will be fine. I learned how to say eggs, bacon and butter in Spanish. I was pretty right after that.
The cooking facilities are often scratched Teflon pans. I did not use them.

How do you say bacon in spanish?

Beicon I think. It sounds similar to bacon!
Butter = Manteqilla.

Hello all,
4 Days in and 99.9% Carnivore. The 0.1% refers to the Pimenton in the Chorizo I’m eating during the day which has great fat content and anything used in the curing of the spanish hams. Iberico, Serrano etc. Otherwise doing alright. Covered 126.4 km already without a carb in site. Felt strong. Recovered well everyday. No joint pain. Stomach is great which allows me to enjoy the experience. Having to push down cravings for a glass of red wine or a bag of almonds I’ll be honest. But better that than croissants and coke. Most albergue/hostels have a kitchen to use. I’m having a great time.

I was just thinking about you! Glad to hear you have started, and it seems you are setting a cracking pace! I have moved from keto to Zero Carb. Day 7 for me. I am hopeful of resolving an ongoing issue.
Buen Camino, my friend.