Calorie calculator?

(saud) #1

I was eating 1600 calories, but some people here warned me not to do this because its unhealthy and not sustainable! Ive always been told that obese people can lower their calorie deficit this low, but im now getting mixed opinions and im not sure what I should do?

Keto calorie calculator says I should eat 2500 calories, and 180 grams of fat! I would love to eat this much and lose weight but I dont think its possible. And 190 grams of fat seems alot and an impossible goal to reach.

Weight: 310 lbs
Height: 5’11
Sex: Male
Workout: Moderate 5 times a week

(Allie) #2

Everyone is different, try it and see. You have to find a way to make this WOE sustainable for you, also, you don’t need to reach the fat macro as it’s an upper limit not a goal.

It’s simple really, carbs below 20g, protein between 0.8 and 1g per pound of lean muscle.

I needed a calorie restriction in order to lose weight. Yes, people will say your appetite should decrease naturally on this woe but it hasn’t happened for me. I will have been keto for a year in January. I just cannot trust my appetite as I am endlessly hungry. I will say that in the beginning, I tracked everything I ate and created graphs that pointed me in the right direction for my body. I then made adjustments to get a better outcome. At this point I met with a weight loss Dr. That led my husband to keto. She put me on an even lower calorie threshold than I had calculated. It was 1100 calories and it was not sustainable long term. Instead, I used my fitness tracker to get a better calculation of my energy output. Her goal with the 1100 calories was my BMR-500. So, I used that info and made my calorie input what I burned-500. Now, her diet specifically reads to NOT track calories. In our first meeting, she crossed that part out for me and told me it was due to lower body fat. So, that is my long winded journey on keto which is different than most. Hopefully you can pull a little bit of help from it.

Also, one of my findings prior to seeing this doctor was that my body refused to lose weight unless I had enough fat and fiber. The higher the fat, the better my body responded.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

The basic notion is that, by eating in a way that works with the body rather than against it, we don’t have to pay so much attention to our caloric intake, because hormonal regulation will take care of that for us. Dr. Stephen Phinney talks in his lectures about how the metabolism responds to both the kinds of foods we eat and how much we give it. The problem with cutting calories is that it signals the body that there is a famine going on, which means it responds by lowering the metabolism, cutting back on non-essential processes (nail and hair growth, for example), and holding on to fat stores for as long as possible. Better a pattern of alternate fasting and feasting, since that appears to be how the race evolved over the past two million years.

Since the body responds in the opposite way to caloric abundance, by ramping up the metabolic rate (including fat metabolism), finding ways to use energy, and feeling free to shed excess fat stores (and even by allowing fat cells to burn more energy than they need for survival), it becomes less important to worry about caloric intake, as long as we are not promoting fat storage by eating too much carbohydrate (since carbohydrate = glucose, and excess glucose => excess insulin, which is the fat-storage hormone). The recommendations for a well-formulated ketogenic diet are (1) very limited carbohydrate, (2) reasonable protein, and (3) enough fat to satisfy hunger. It has been demonstrated that on such a diet, most people with excess stored fat will shed that excess. Some people will simultaneously add lean muscle.

While I don’t believe that the interplay of appetite and satiety hormones has been fully worked out yet, we do know some things. For example, excess insulin blocks the receptors in the brain that are supposed to receive the leptin secreted by the fat tissue to say that we have enough energy on board and can stop eating for a while. For most people this works as it should, once insulin drops, and appetite can be a reliable guide as to how much food to eat.

Dr. Phinney says that the subjects eating ad libitum in his research studies generally ate about 1000 calories less than expected on a ketogenic diet, the deficit being made up out of excess stored fat. By the time their excess fat has been metabolised, they are getting their full caloric needs from their food intake, which at that point has risen to the expected level. But the point is that during the period while the subjects had excess fat to shed, their caloric deficit was handled by their hormones; it was not intentional. It is intentional calorie restriction that risks putting the body into famine mode.

Unfortunately, there are people with defects in their leptin signaling, for whom appetite is not a reliable guide, but they are rare. Another possibility is that some people simply need more food than others, such as the guy in the low-carb study who ate 3000 calories a day and still lost fat at the same rate as the other participants. Others are like the DuPont executive, documented in a case study published in the 1960’s, who lost a goodly amount of fat on a low-carb diet, but who would gain weight from eating a single extra apple. Still other people need more protein and will be hungry till they get it. The study that was used to determine the 0.8 g/kg lean body mass/day recommendation for minimum protein intake showed people over a wide range of protein needs, many of them below the average of 0.6 g/kg, and many above (0.8 is the recommendation, because it was felt to provide some cushion).

So some of the people who feel that their appetite hormones are broken may simply be hungry because they are not getting enough protein. Everyone has to experiment a bit to figure out their individual needs. If professors Raubenheimer and Simpson are correct, all mammals have an instinct for getting enough protein. The problem with human beings is that most societies condition us not to listen to our bodies, but rather to try to out-think two million years of evolutionary history.

(Bob M) #6

It seems to me that the basal metabolic rate of someone over 300 pounds would be pretty high.

This says your BMR is 2,689 calories:

If you switch over to “caloric needs” and choose low activity, you get 3,931 calories. Sedentary is 3,577 calories.

So, 2,500 calories a day is not a bad guess (which is what these all are anyway).

(saud) #7

I went to a Doctor and he said I have extremely high Insulin. He also said I was not diabetic, but pre diebetic. Even after being on Keto for a while I still have high Insulin but my blood sugars went down so im not pre diabetic anymore. He said that having extremely high insulin creates hunger.

I am always hungry and thinking about food even when I am full and ate alot of food! My hunger is so high that I cant stick to a diet even though Ketogenic diet helped the most, its still an issue. It doesnt make sense logically that im still hungry after eating a huge meal.

I know being Keto is part of fixing the problem, and while it helped, it hasnt resolved the issue for me.

(Bob M) #8

Here’s a relatively good intro to BMR, although I think they use a different name (BEE):

How high is your insulin? Can you take something like metformin?

By the way, I’ve been taking berberine, which does seem to have an appetite-reducing effect. You could try a bottle to see what happens.

How “huge” is “huge”? Could you describe a keto meal like that?

It might take a while for hunger signals to right themselves. Heck, I’m still working on my own, 7 years into low carb/keto.

(saud) #9

I lost the papers from the doctor, but he said its way too high, and he also said its shocking that I am not diabetic with this high of an insulin.

I dont know what metformin but I searched its for diabetes? I dont have diabetes though and my blood sugar is back to normal…

I did not try berberine, but im taking Garcinia which I think is kinda helping.

A huge meal is when I eat my breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the same time because I cant wait till the night to eat the rest of my food. Even after I eat everything, I still feel hungry! Logically I know I feel extremely full, but I still want to continue eating and I keep thinking about it. Its a struggle I have that I can keep under control on a ketogenic diet. When im not on Keto I go crazy and I cant control it.

Same here with the hunger issue. I think it is either genetic or learned behavior. My family can sit and eat for hours and then someone will suggest that we head to a restaurant.
I find it helps to have a strict time to eat and a meal planned in advance. Then, I make myself wait at least an hour to eat more. I will have a plan if I don’t think I can wait until the next meal. I also drink a fiber supplement to hold me over. Lemon water has really helped too. I found that suggestion here after complaining about heartburn. It had the added bonus of holding off my next meal.

What do you eat? Do you weigh it? Is it keto? Why can you not eat that much fat? I would try to use ketosis if I was you to see if it can help with the eating issues. It helps me which is why I have done this for over two years. I think you can work on developing strategies around eating. Such as only plate for your meal. Put everything back. Eat at a set place focussing on your food. Chew slowly… take your time…Get in the habit of drinking water…

But how much is huge? You still didn’t answer it, we have no idea if your 3 meals are much together or not… If you are hungry after you ate everything, why don’t you eat more? Or if that is really a bad idea longer term, maybe try to choose different food… Being full is a feeling, logic has nothing to do with it. I don’t know you so I don’t know if you really eat enough for you. People often has so weird ideas about a proper sized meal…
I call 3000 kcal huge, for example. Small is below 2000, tiny is below 1000? Something like that. It’s very individual, I need bigger meals so I eat bigger meals. Half my energy need is nothing to me for my main meal! It would just make me super hungry. So that’s tiny to me. But food choices matter a lot too. I had to stop eating all those hunger-inducing carbs, first of all, vegetables! Not only to lose (that didn’t happen yet) but to feel better and not being so obsessed with food (though I still think about it a lot, it’s a hobby and an interesting topic… but it’s nothing like what I have when eat much more carbs).
You may need something else, not lowering carbs. Maybe you eat non-satiating fats, who knows? I avoid added fat as much as I comfortably can because they boost my calories and does about nothing to my satiation. Maybe you have some interfering items… I would experiment, it’s very bad what you described…
Your high insulin probably makes things very hard, I have no idea about these things but still, maybe something can make things somewhat better… I don’t want to accept there are no options :frowning:

(Sorry if I repeated myself, I don’t know what exactly I wrote in the other thread before.)

(Carnivore for the win) #14

I was calorie restricting, trying to lose weight prior to Keto. I tried to keep it to 2000 calories a day and I lost a bit of weight, but I was hungry and not feeling any more healthy. Once I started to restrict my carbs, below 20g per day, and eat as much real, unprocessed fatty meat as I wanted, the weight fell off my body. Some days I’d eat over 3000 calories and the next morning I’d be down a couple of pounds. Now I don’t track my food, as I’ve gone zero carb, but I eat around three or more pounds of meat on days I am hungry. Other days I just eat a pound or two, but I can still lose fat on days where I eat alot of food due to carbs being very low.

(Laurie) #15

I have found that eating too much in one meal makes me hungry. Of course the definition of “too much” will vary from person to person.