CALLING ALL TRUCK DRIVERS! Post your questions, tips & tricks here

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #41

Not a trucker, but did just pull a three day Orlando to Minneapolis without breaking Keto. Easy to keto a Cracker Barrel. Macadamia nuts (killed a can during the trip and a snack at my folk’s house), and salamis. Wisconsin has sausages and curds at all the gas stations, so easy. Southern states have some game jerky and pork rinds. Always read the label.

(Chris W) #42

I was for ten years a tow truck driver part time on the weekends, in the greater Milwaukee area. I can blame at least 20 pounds on that job, between the stress, the absolute deluge of carbs, soda, and hours. I really loved when I had long hauls, mostly north but a few went west out of state. I did light to heavy duty, but mostly light duty( for 4 wheeler s) on rollbacks, medium and heavy was on wreckers. They would not let me drive it but we had 1968 mack twin boom cable drive with a hydro under lift we call her Kong. I both miss(the driving OTH) and don’t miss(standing on a icey freeway at 2:00 am on the back side of a blind curve) that job.

(Chris W) #43

I just did eastern Wisconsin to western South Dakota in one day and back again later on, macadamia nuts and dukes sausages on the way out. I stopped for dinner in Albert Lea, I got knocked out of keto by some really good pork roll(it had a starchy rue filling), it was the first time in months I had one hell of headache the rest of the way home.

(Chris W) #44

And I never drove a 53’ van straight away(only on hook a couple times), but I feel for you guys out on the high plains on 90, those winds are nuts it was blowing my little 4 wheeler truck all over hell.

(Candy Lind) #45

Where’d you get that pork roll?

(Chris W) #46

It was at sit down in Albert Lea, I want to say the green mile? It was off of the main drag you are not parking a 53’ in the lot, I should have gone to the McDonalds or the truck stop on 35, but my daughter was with and she is still a carb burner for the most part. The meal was excellent just some bad communication on my part to the wait staff, and someone who was only on the job for a day or two and it was later at night. I should have ordered the fish, but this was on the daily special board.

(Rick) #47

Well, one driving week down and I shaved off another 5 lbs. I had chef’s salads and roasted chicken for my meals, splurged in Denny’s at Winslow Flying J on a chicken skillet with 2 sunnyside up eggs. Overall, eating wasn’t bad at all. My trainer had paid wifi so we only stayed at Pilot/Flying J; once I get my own truck I’ll hit up the other truck stops. So far, so good!

(Candy Lind) #48

AWESOME! Glad to hear it. I go back out with my hubby at the end of the month. Hope to find you out on the road. :grin:

(Jay AM) #49

I frequently Arby’s mostly. I’m rarely impressed with truck stop stuff that isn’t from a restaurant. I hate iceberg lettuce. I have peeled toppings off a Flying J/Pilot pizza before though and also gotten the pot roast at flying j and avoided the potatoes if there were a lot. I was looking at their nutrition list once and they had mac n cheese listed as ultra low carb. I feel like it was at 2g or something. I sent them an email about the impossibility.

(Chris W) #50

The arbys brisket is amazing by the pound, mostly fat just not real cheap.

(Jay AM) #51

I gave up on my food being real cheap. Either I cook for myself in my vehicle to have cheaper food or I suck it up.

(Candy Lind) #52

I have not traditionally been a fan of Arby’s but will try them again on keto since there are so damn many of them out there. What do you usually order? Do they post nutrition info on their website?

(Candy Lind) #53

I AM BACK ON THE ROAD! YAY!:grin:

So I think for the next 2 days I’ll be living on BPC, cheese, and meat sticks. Somewhere in Massachusetts I’ll finally be able to get some greenery. :smiling_imp: AND some sleep. I had it right when I was dreading trying to sleep on the nation’s highways. :persevere:

(Doug) #54

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Candy Lind) #55

Picking up in Pittsfield, NH. Short walk to enjoy this dam that was created in the 1760’s to support a sawmill & grist mill. :blush: PLUS, there’s a small grocery - I was able to get some avocados and heavy cream. :sunglasses:

(Candy Lind) #56

Hey, guys & gals, let’s hear from you on the road! We are in Elkhart, IN at the moment, draining our maintenance accounts on the purchase of a new clutch. We had to be towed in off the interstate. :persevere:

We got lucky on our hotel - a La Quinta (automatically pet-friendly) with actual protein & fat choices on their breakfast bar! I had 4 eggs (2 scrambled with cheese & 2 hard-boiled) and a pile of crispy bacon, with butter to slather on everything. They were nearly out of 1/2&1/2, but we made do, with a promise to ourselves to seriously curb carbs the rest of the day. If we’re here another night, we’ll have heavy cream for BPC in the morning because there’s an Aldi within walking distance. :grin: :sunglasses: We’ll also look for a few nuts or some meat sticks for snacking because we forgot to bring any from the truck. :roll_eyes:

(Doug) #57

70 miles west of you, Candy - Portage, Indiana. Finished up a job in a steel mill today, off to Missouri next. Scrabled eggs and bacon for breakfast, probably just black coffee until tomorrow.

(Candy Lind) #58

The coconut milk powder would be tough, but can’t you make fat bombs/“candy” bars with the manna & oil?

(Jay AM) #59

I haven’t really got the chance to try anything.

I’m finishing hometime in Oregon right now and waiting for a message for a load. Breakfast is probably an omelet at some breakfast place.

(TJ Borden) #60

Where in Oregon? I grew up in Milwaukie, just SE of Portland.