CALLING ALL TRUCK DRIVERS! Post your questions, tips & tricks here

(Candy Lind) #21

My hubby’s cousin used to be a driver, and she told us when we were considering teaming that if we wanted to see what it was like, to move in to our bathroom together for a couple of weeks! :rofl:

(Jay AM) #22

I did the team thing for a year. It wasn’t as bad even storing stuff for 2 people. The other person was definitely the issue. Though, I’d argue that the dog takes more space than he’s worth some days. But, he’s cute so he stays.

(Ellie Baum) #23

Not a trucker, but for some reason, this thread has been one of the more interesting threads on here. :grinning:

(Candy Lind) #24

Getting an inside look at the hell we go through to bring you your steaks and Kerrygold, eh? :wink:

(Ellie Baum) #25

Ha something like that. To be honest, being a trucker has always interested me. Getting to have plenty of alone time. My own (tiny) space. I’d assume I’d feel accomplished at the end of my day since I would have something very tangible that got done (I drove X number of miles today).

Plus it’s great to hear all the ways you can do keto on the road. It applies to me when I go on road trips.

(mary6aros) #26

Great ideas for moms and dads with little ones, instead of the Cheetos, gummies and juice boxes!

(TJ Borden) #27

Yeah, I miss being out on the road. If my wife ever comes to her senses and kicks my ass to the curb, I’m getting my CDL and going long haul.

It really is about the road though. To this day, my wife is jealous of some of the places I went because in her mind I was actually “in” the places playing tourist. In fact most of the places I drove through, I literally “drove through”. I only saw the skyline, I often didn’t even get off the highway.

Shit… this thread is making me miss it even more. Damn you @CandyLindTX :joy:

(Robert) #28

I have one of those lunch box ovens from the truck stop and use the meatloaf tins. The clean up is pretty easy if the grease doesn’t spill over. I cook chicken, bacon, 2 pound roast and more.

(Candy Lind) #29

The reason I’m so invested in this thread is that I miss it that much! :disappointed_relieved:

(Jay AM) #30

Accomplishment is the last thing on my mind when it’s been a rough week. I think it’s different for people who actually go to their own bed and house every 6 weeks but, for me, there are plenty of days where I’m working for 14 hours. 11 hours of that being driving. And then I only get a 10 hour break. It can be a lot. It’s a romantic idea until you do it. Not to say trucking is bad…

(Jay AM) #31

Plenty of these places don’t even want us off the highway. I always say a number of states are a pretty state to get the heck out of. I did get to go to Vegas for a night once.

(TJ Borden) #32

That’s a great example of one my wife was jealous about. We’ve never been to Vegas. I drove through, snapped a couple pics from I-15 while driving from San Diego to SLC. From her perspective, I had a wild bachelor weekend, when in fact I didn’t get off the freeway, and it was about 11 am, so it looked like any other downtown.

I did get to spend a night in Reno, and that was pretty cool. I was also lucky since I wasn’t driving a big rig, when I had a little downtime, I could pretty much go where I wanted and not worry about access or parking.

(Jay AM) #33

Non truckers never understand trucking the way it has to be done. I only got that stop in Vegas by a pure fluke but, we could only be there for 12 hours and didn’t even get to plan for it. Shoot, we were in bed before it even started to get lively. We ate at a restaurant, played black jack for a few rounds, got heat exhaustion, and went to bed and drove in the morning.

I grew up in Reno actually. It’s where I’m hoping to take my hometime at the next job.

(Candy Lind) #34

I looked at what she’s done/eaten on YouTube. I thought I had food issues, but she’s got me beat by a mile. I hope it doesn’t kill her. :worried:

yes, my husband fasts quite a bit on the road. Being a truck driver makes keto easy I think because it has to be kept simple with the basics. Mine is usually home by Friday night and leaves on Sunday’s most weeks so I prep eggs, bacon (3 pounds down for 2 weeks I chop that up in pieces it’s easier to fry), cans of sardines. I make a cauliflower, broccoli black olive, bell pepper and cheese salad for him I use the entire heads so it’s quite a bit and I pack it in serving size containers and he takes enough food to stack in his fridge. I try to sneak walnuts in for his nuts since they have more omega 3 but he prefers almonds. We always have cans of sardines packed in olive oil for him to take on the road. He also likes burgers and it’s so easy to buy the frozen premade cheddar and bacon from walmart and I broil all 6 for him to take on the road.

That’s about all he eats, he’s not interested in anything fancy, I think I’m lucky I don’t have much to do cooking wise. My kitchen has managed to stay cleaner for longer periods of time on keto lol.

(Rick) #36

I’m just getting back into driving - so until I get enough $$ to get a cooler, etc I will have to rely on truck stop eats to stay keto. I hope that the food joints don’t have a problem with ‘no bun’ orders and the like, or I may need to live off of summer sausage and that kind of fare until I can get cool storage. Or fast a lot. Whoo boy, this should be interesting…

(Candy Lind) #37

You’ll be fine! Some of the TAs have a good low-carb summer sausage (oh, but you’ll need the cooler for that - they’re like 1/2 pound.). My hubby picks up 3 or 4 whenever he finds them. I’ll ask the name tomorrow - he’s asleep now. WATCH the meat sticks - try to get 1 carb per 2 ounces if you can. Some have 4 carbs in one stick.

Keep an eye out for hard boiled eggs and cheese. Mayo packs are a good bet, too. Pilot/FJs with the hot deli are great - roasted chicken and green beans with a side salad and lots of mayo or butter if you can find it. Read labels and ask for what you want - it’s the only way they’ll get the message that we’re looking for better choices. KCKO, & be safe out there!

(Candy Lind) #38

OK, revving up this thread again to get some more ideas and see how everyone is doing. A bit of news from me (well, lots going on, but just a bit for now): the truck is PAID OFF! So our financial situation should be gradually getting better. AND - I’m going back on the road at the end of May! At first, I’ll just be a rider, getting used to the wierd schedule and sleeping on the truck again. Then in mid-June when it’s time for updating Medical Cards, I’ll start driving again. I really need to get it in gear, finding clothes that fit and deciding what to carry food-wise at first. And I need to do some weight training, get a little stronger! This picture is me & my husband with our fleet manager and “Goldie” the day we got the title.

(Jay AM) #39

Tshirts and sweats always fit :stuck_out_tongue: Congrats on that pay off. I’m about to switch into a lease (not lease purchase) to hopefully end my trucking career in a year. Bodylastics has a great set of resistance bands that takes up very little space and they are durable.

(Jay AM) #40

I mostly eat fast food and haven’t run into no bun problems. My typical order at Arby’s might sound like this, “I’ll take a triple steak with cheese. No bun, no sauce. You can just put it in a bowl, it doesn’t have to be pretty.”

I find it helps set them at ease because a pile of meat and cheese in a bowl isn’t aesthetically pleasing to most and I’ve told them exactly how to do it without being condescending.

My go to truck stop easy foods are those bags of bacon or pepperoni jerky. Often buy one get one free with the buy a drink deal at pilot or flying j. I buy some water to make ketoade in and boom, tasty jerky.