Calling all experts!

ketoadaptation

(Carly) #1

I’m 5 days into <20g carb keto. Prior, my diet was plants and lean meats. I’m looking forward to experiencing the clarity and athletic enhancement. Ideally, I’ll be able to get all of my calories and micronutrients in one big morning smoothie, and then just cruise through the day on high - I’m an aspiring research scientist and triathlete, so this diet is a godsend.

I figured the adaptation period wouldn’t hit me TOO hard, as I either went for a 3-4 mile run or 1.5 hrs of bikram every day for the past year, and kept my weight around 125lbs (I’m an 18-year-old female) BF ~20%.

My intake looks like this: 2 egg omelet with cheese and lots of butter, spinach salad (feta, avocado, walnuts, sunflower seeds, chicken breast, and olive oil/vinegar dressing), more 0-carb cheese, or macademias, or avocado with butter, or broccoli and steak in butter and OO. I ordered two bottles of Brain Octane (C8 triglycerides) and they arrive tomorrow, I can’t wait.

Already past the mistake of eating too many macademias in one sitting - carb cravings afterwards were intense, it definitely knocked me out.

I’m eating around 1300kcal daily (75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs), which is low for me, no appetite. Should I go harder on the heavy whipping cream, butter, cream cheese, bacon, and olive oil?

Drinking ~100oz water a day with Himalayan salt in it. Taking potassium and magnesium supplements while adapting.

On the first day, my mind woke up in the evening (it felt similar to my experience on shrooms, like hyper-present). For the following 4 days I’ve been fatigued as shit - can barely get up the stairs - but sleeping terribly. My body odor has changed - it’s just strong, not necessarily bad. I’ve lost 3-4 pounds of water and glycogen.

If I don’t eat for ~6 hours after a high-fat meal, I feel a lot better. I’m probably going to fast more because of this.

I haven’t tested my ketones - I don’t really see the point. I’m adjusting macros depending on how I feel. Enjoying paying close attention to leptin/ghrelin signals.

I recognize that it’s only been 5 days; I wanted to introduce my case study and start dialogues with veteran ketoers. Do you have any suggestions, shared experiences, success stories, and adaptation recipes for someone who’s also interested in maintaining adequate micronutrients? Predictions on what might happen next, or what might help me start working out again/reduce fatigue? Protein okay at 65g for my phenotype? I want to hear anything and everything!!

I’m so enthusiastic about the prospects of keto! here for the long-haul :slight_smile:

Congratulations on your decision to keto. Your case study looks great. Obviously, you have done your research.

You may want to ingest more sodium and fat (calories) to deal with your lethargy. Also be patient, and expect performance gains to come after many months (or a year).

(Karen Fricke) #3

Why chicken breast? It’s easier to get fat without getting too much protein if you stick to fattier meats like dark meat chicken or bacon.