Calculating Protein Intake

(Chris) #1

Hi - This is day 3 for me on the Keto diet. I’m doing OK but it’s tough :slight_smile:

I sort of dived in at the deep end with this because I decided to do it on Sunday night and started first thing on Monday morning so I’ve very done little in the way of research beforehand.

I’ve put my stats into the Keto calculator and it suggests that my middle ground for Protein 137g per day.

Sorry if this question is silly, but when calculating protein intake, do you calculate the weight of the meat itself for instance a 100g steak, or it’s actual protein content which would be about 30g.

(Mike W.) #2

Protein content. How did you end up at that protein macro? It sounds like that’s about double what it should be…

(Allan L) #3

This looks like a very high value for protein, looks more paleo than keto. Try this calculator: https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/

Also use an online tool like www.fatsecret.com to calculate your daily macro / protein consumption.

(Chris) #4

Thanks for the replies. -

I’m worried that I may have missed the obvious here. I put my stats into the other calculator you posted here (https://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/) and it came up as 136g so it’s suggesting the same protein intake. (Height 6’4" (193cm) - Weight 109KG and Bodyfat 29%

I original calculator I used was https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

(Chris) #5

I recalculated but replaced Sedentary with Moderately Active (which I intend to be very soon) and that has reduced the protein down to 102g per day.

That for me is a bit worrying because after 60g of whey protein a day, which I want to take for a glutahtione / liver support / gut health protocol, It leaves me with only about 40g of protein for meat per day.

(Jason Fletcher) #6

That gutahtione gut health protocol you are doing does not work well for most who choose to eat this way. Most of the goals of eating keto is to reduce insulin resistance. Whey protein does not do well for most people because it causes a massive insulin spike. What is this protocol you are doing and where did you hear about it?

(Allan L) #7

Unsure what your goals are for doing a keto diet but if its weight loss, then the main benefit of keto is to reduce insulin production allowing your body access to its fat stores. From what I have read from Dr Jason Fung, whey protein causes insulin spikes. Suggest you do further research.

(Chris) #8

Not good news on the insulin spike, thanks for letting me know. I’ll copy & paste the important parts of the protocol below. There is an option for using egg whites instead of whey protein.

=================================

whey-selenium-inulin protocol for High Glutathione and to cure bowel dysbiosis
Undenatured whey 30-35 grams twice daily - no upper limit, body builders commonly use 120-180 grams daily plus meals.suggest 30 to 70 grams as a minimum.

Selenium - 200 mcg, twice a day. (400 mcg-600 mcg per day)
or

Selenomethionine (from yeast extract) is very bioavailable and widely available, and methyl-selenocysteine is also widely available, very bioavailable and the uptake is by a slightly different pathway.

Prebiotic (inulin) 14g per day together with good pro biotics

Added to whey shake - whipping cream, MCT oil, strawberries, inulin, and psyllium fiber
Undenatured whey powder and selenium precursors for healthy glutahtione levels / supporting liver function, anti-aging, reduce toxins and increasing energy. Undenatured whey also contains specific anti-adhesion properties against pathogens in the mouth and gut. The protocol falls short on its own; extra vitamins and minerals are also required to allow for some bowel malabsorption. Malnutrition caused by a degree of malabsorption also causes stress. Supporting liver function is best done with undenatured whey and selenium.

Treatment for reducing dysbiosis should probably include daily inulin 12 grams or so, selenium 400 mcg or so daily, and undenatured whey 60 grams or so to reduce cell injury and toxicity and increase energy and recovery

Glutathione is a primary molecule in the generation of energy, undenatured whey with selenium is used to create glutathione, a precursor for the energy molecule ATP and also the main mitochondrial antioxidant among other things. Part of glutathione’s function is to regenerate the other antioxidants and increase their level by sparing them as well, which depletes the glutathione. If precursors are not supplied to match the depletion, glutathione is being recycled more than created and levels will be lower. Oral glutathione is practically worthless because it is broken down like any protein unless very large doses are used.

Every cell in the body makes its own glutathione from precursors in raw food in the diet. Of the raw foods the best concentration of glutathione precursors is undenatured whey; second best is raw egg whites. Of the two, most people prefer the undenatured whey (and selenium, the catalyst).

There are literally piles of data. Anyway you look at it, the group of oxidative stress diseases: arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, rheumatoid, Crohn’s, IBS, colitis, alzheimer’s and other neurodegeneratives, CFS/ME and fibromyalgia, depressed immune system, failure to thrive, age-related degeneration and so on, are “oxidative stress” symptoms in your weakest spots, probably not separate “diseases”. Whatever the doctor calls it doesn’t matter; over time a person with a chronic degenerative disease usually gets a cluster of symptoms of more than one of the oxidative disorders.

And, all of these diseases respond to elevating glutathione.

Not that high glutathione is the cure, more on that in a moment, but it is the most important antioxidant you could fail to support.

A link to bowel dysbiosis has been made in all of these diseases, and the bad ecology dysbiosis is known for presents a huge toxin load 24/7 as well as depleted glutathione, the master antioxidant and one of your energy creation molecules.

The significance of chronically depleted glutathione is that it continually suppresses cellular function and allows permenent damage to your energy creation centers, the mitochondria. All these diseases are in the category of “mitochondrial disorders” or mitochondrial impairments, and all are either caused or exacerbated by the toxins in the bowel disorder, which deplete the glutathione. Since elevated glutathione is also chemotherapeutic, one might speculate low glutathione is a precancerous condition, and certainly, dysbiosis is a precancerous condition for bowel cancer.

So, usually a person responds to dietary change like reduced carbing, an anti-candida diet to get rid of the candida/dysbiosis/leaky gut, eliminating toxic rancid inflammatory oils and some other foods you might be reacting to, and vastly increased glutathione precursors and inulin to support the bowel probiotics. Dietary change is the cure.

Fat
Butter contains more than twice the caproic acid than coconut oil and 1/7 of the caprylic acid. Beta-OH butyrate is the main ketone body precursor; butyric acid it is derived from occurs in butter but unfortunately not in coconut oil. Butter has a good profile for mammals.

Butyric acid is plentiful also in a healthy colon, created 24/7 by many probiotic bacteria. Thus one might observe, in the elderly who have Alzheimers or “need” ketones, a failure of the probiotic organisms to produce adequate butyrate. This is a condition of bowel dysbiosis. Butyrate has been researched to prevent cancer and cure Crohn’s disease.