Calculating macros for butter used when basting

(RL) #1

Ok, so let’s say you are going to bake four chicken thighs…and you decide to baste them (heavily) with melted butter (one stick) and then you pour the remaining butter in the bottom of the baking dish.

When you go to calculate your macros, how do you determine how much butter to include? If I try to say each thigh received 1/4 stick of butter, that wouldn’t be close to accurate since so much of the butter ended up elsewhere.

Suggestions?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Not if you use the drippings for a veggie topping, such as broccoli.
That could sop up a most of it.

(Steve) #3

I usually weigh what’s left and deduct it. (it’s not perfect, as there will be chicken drippings mixed with the butter - but it’s pretty much all fat and sodium at this point, so it would be pretty close).

(TJ Borden) #4

I’m curious, why are you concerned about tracking butter? Basics of keto:

• 20 grams or less of carbs
  • moderate protein scaled to lean body mass
  • fat to satiety

The tracking apps are great for tracking and finding hidden carbs and tracking protein, but there’s no need to count fat grams

(Steve) #5

Yeah, I normally don’t (it’s just good fat, right?) - but there could be some people that need to keep track of their sodium - and if you only buy salted butter, that could make a difference.

I usually don’t bother unless I’m calculating the macros for recipes. If it’s just low carb toppings going on other food, there’s not much point. :slight_smile:

(Allie) #6

I don’t track it, that seems a bit unnecessary to me tbh…

(MooBoom) #7

If I’m pedantically tracking, I weigh the amount of butter before I use it and add it separately.

Butter isn’t a necessity for me to track though (its fat, no carb, so no need!).

(Jack Brien) #8

Put the butter on your plate, not ‘elsewhere’.

(Jack Brien) #9

Why would they be tracking their sodium? Keto=low insulin=sodium loss, hence keto flu and everyones obsession with salt

(Steve) #10

Some people with high blood pressure can still overdo Sodium until the cause of their blood pressure is healed. For some of them, it’s a delicate balancing act between not getting enough (and losing micronutrients) and getting too much and having headaches and blurred vision.

We’re all unique…heh…some of us more than others. :wink:

(Allie) #11

Always remember that you’re unique, just like everyone else.

It was one of my old email signature lines :joy:

(Jack Brien) #12

Certainly so and some may even have high BP due to high Na. Have you read Di’Nicolantonios work? His research suggests very strongly that it’s actually the other way round (apart from the odd snowflake of course). But simply the following of a keto diet should mean your body starts to regulate the Na more efficiently.

(Steve) #13

I’ll have a look, thanks for the suggestion (more knowledge is always a great thing!!) :slight_smile:

I think the reason that so many of us are challenged to get enough sodium is that the Keto WOE lends itself much more easily to home cooked foods (as the highly processed and dining out options are very carb-laden, we tend to avoid them for the most part) - so we’re not getting all of the sodium (and other chemicals) that are used as preservatives in these foods.

I’ve always enjoyed salty foods, so it’s been great for me basically having a “free for all” with being able to add as much salt I like. :slight_smile: I really just track the sodium in the meals/recipes themselves to ensure I’m getting enough.

(Allie) #14

@fischersd have a listen.

http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=71

Tbh no need to pay for the book after listening to the podcast, unless you really enjoy the science side of things.