Calcium Score

(Vijay Bhakta) #1

Anyone managed to get one of these done on the NHS via their GP ?

I am off to see mine on Wednesday and going to see what he says

(bulkbiker) #2

My GP had never heard of it… I had mine done privately… Let us know what happens and good luck!

(Vijay Bhakta) #3

Well… My GP had heard of it, but said its not something the NHS do.

I am due some blood work so asked if he could include triglycerides and a subfraction analysis of LDL but he was firmly on the side of total cholesterol/HDL is the key metric according to NICE etc.

What he did say though was lets get some more data, new blood work, a 24 hour Blood Pressure readings and then plug them into the new QRISK3 framework to assess my risk and then take the next step, which could be a Coronary CT scan - so we shall see.

(bulkbiker) #4

Good luck ith that… but your Qrisk score will probably be enough for him to claim you “need” to be on statins… especially if you have a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis… that adds about 10% to your Qrisk even if it is well controlled. Its all the same old bollocks.

(Vijay Bhakta) #5

My hba1c is pretty good @32, its more borderline high cholesterol and definitely high blood pressure which put my QRISK to 6.5%, but then adding in family history of CVD bumped it to 9.9% so borderline for “intervention”

Going for the fasting blood work tomorrow so hopefully will see the results of that early next week