Calcium Score only went up 9%

(Jim) #1

2.5 years Keto, I had a follow-up calcium scan from a year ago and the score only went up 9%.
From what I have read <15% is the goal. I wonder if there is a way to actually
reduce it. I see a lot of conflicting statements on whether a reduction is possible.

(Carl Keller) #2

I was reading an article about CAC testing that might interest you. From what I understand, rapidly increasing calcification is more dangerous than a stable higher amount.

This is one shortcoming of the CAC scoreā€”a patient with a few densely calcified, stable plaques and a patient with numerous spotty calcification lesions could have the same CAC score, while the person with fewer, denser plaques could be less likely to experience plaque rupture (24).

Some data support this idea. In one study, first acute cardiovascular events occurred more often in patients with mild and moderate CACs instead of a high CAC, indicating that dense calcium plaques could be more stable (25). Knowing the CAC score can certainly be valuable, but it is not the holy grail marker of CVD.

In any event, keeping inflammation low is going to be key to prevent further damage. That along with keeping stress to a minimum are going to be your allies. I believe if you do these things, your long run chances are going to be greatest.

A diet that contains a variety of nutrient-dense, whole foods, including organ meats, vegetables, pastured meats, and fermented foods will reduce inflammation and help prevent disease.

https://kresserinstitute.com/is-it-possible-or-even-desirable-to-reverse-a-high-coronary-calcium-score/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

I believe that a well-formulated ketogenic diet promotes the healing of plaque and subsequent withdrawal of calcium from the arterial wall. Rabnskov and Diamond posit that arterial damage occurs constantly, but that the buildup of plaque occurs only when the rate of damage exceeds the rate of repair. A well-formulated ketogenic diet promotes many processes that reduce the rate of damage, so that the body can get ahead of the damage. You should eventually see a reduction in CAC, though I imagine it will take quite some time. Vitamins D and K help move calcium into the bones, I understand, so make sure you are not deficient in those two vitamins.