Cake Has No Power Here!

(Windmill Tilter) #1

A very strange thing just happened to me. I was cutting some slices of leftover birthday cake for the kids that was left over from my daughters birthday (eight!), and I realized that I wasn’t even interested in it. I don’t mean that I had the willpower not to eat it (which would have been great all by itself), but that it really didn’t register as much of anything for me. It may as well have been a piece of styrofoam or a toy fire engine. Not food. Not interesting. Just a thing I’m cutting up. A big 0 on the crave-o-meter. Nothing.

What makes that amazing is that just a few months ago it would have been torture to look at that cake without eating it. It’s a little embarrassing to admit, but a few months ago I would have snuck down when everybody else was asleep and cut a couple thin slices (away from any letters or words so nobody would notice) and gorged on it like it was the last crumbs of sugar on earth.

I’ve only been on keto for about 6 weeks, but that NSV alone will be enough to keep me going all by itself. It’s hard to really explain, but it feels like a huge weight lifted off to not crave sugar, or to feel like I need to hide eating something. It makes me really happy! :smiley:

(Carl Keller) #2

I was recently at a memorial for an uncle who passed away and there was this enormous cake with black and gold whipped cream icing and raspberry filling between the layers. I barely gave it a second look as the people around me moaned with delight as they ate. One of my aunts who knows I am keto, came over and says “You should treat yourself. You’ve be so disciplined.”

I was tempted to say “That’s not a treat and I’ve lost my taste for poison.”… but what came out was “I suppose I could take a piece home for later”. And I did take a piece home, but it went straight into the trash can.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #3

Yo its that time of the month for me, and Id love to say that the cake doesnt interest me, but Id be a lying sack of poo.

Better at your house than at mine lol. But I may just be hungry for good food lol.

(Jessica) #4

That’s huge! Things like cake don’t get me, but cookie dough does. I wanted spaghetti randomly the other night. So glad I didn’t, both for keto sake and because I woke up puking the next day and that wouldn’t have been fun.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #5

Oh that does me in. Someone kind/evil bought me like 80 bags of various Gluten Free Red Mill mixes, flours and choc chip cookie mix for Christmas this year. I tore up the cookie dough. Id mix it in a bowl and just eat it like that. Raw flour shmaw flour. Raw egg shmaw egg.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Congratulations!

I’m nowhere near that, yet. Although I doubt it would taste as good as it looks, because my tastes have changed quite a bit, it still registers high on the meter. Though not as bad as glazed doughnuts, thanks be to God.

(Windmill Tilter) #7

Well, I don’t imagine it’s a permanent thing. I was coming off a 3 day water fast and I had already eaten 3000kcal worth of eggs, bacon, sausage, smoked herring, etc so I wasn’t the least bit hungry. On another day it might have been a different story lol. :yum:

Still, a victory is a victory, however fleeting or tenuous!

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #8

I just got back from Open House at my school, where all of the grade levels of kids hold bake sales. They always offer me treats for free, especially at the end of the night when they have left-overs that didn’t sell. I’ve never been so impervious to sweets in my life. No interest. None. No insulinogenic poison for me, and I can’t even imagine that it tastes good anymore.

I’ve never in my life had this much control over food.

(Windmill Tilter) #9

Nice!

It’s an amazing feeling to not crave sweets! Congrats! :+1::+1::+1: