Caffeine and insulin resistance

Coffee makes me feel hungry, but when I add butter, MCT, cream, and salt, it fills me up

(CarolAnne) #22

Iā€™ve been strict keto / IF since Feb 2017, lost 50+ pounds (7 to go to goal) and my wonderful coffee is no longer my good friend. Iā€™ve been noticing the same effects - getting hungry and shaky and cold (SOOOO COLD!) instead of getting that pleasant buzz and warmness. So Iā€™ve been wondering the same thing about an insulin (or other hormone) connection.

With no proof whatsoever, what Iā€™ve been thinking is that maybe Iā€™ve recovered some additional function in my adrenals that I didnā€™t even realize I was missing before. And that Iā€™m now getting the response that a person SHOULD be getting from 4 cups of java a day. Thatā€™s the research Iā€™ll be digging into.

I once gave up coffee for an entire year, and noticed zero results. But, I was also eating carbage then. I think Iā€™ll have to do another elimination or Decaf test.

Thatā€™s a really interesting question. Iā€™ve been noticing an uptick in my caffeine response as well ā€“ jangly nerves, what feels like a rapid heartbeat ā€“ after 2 or 3 cups of drip-filter, an amount which has been quite usual for me for years.

Iā€™ll be watching this space!

(What The Fast?!) #24

Iā€™m going to try this!!

I know that some persons (perhaps those who are more [hyper]active) get sleepy from caffeine. So, not everyone is the same even in that regard.

This sounds like a good n=1 for me, all of these questions surrounding the caffeine and possible insulin response are intriguing. Nice thread.

I have wondered how it may affect me for quite some time since I suspect that cortisol is elevated in my system from long-term stress.
STRESS,
STRESS,
STRESS!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #27

Caffeine is extremely good for you, and you should drink a lot of coffee. Or tea. Or both.

(Hands over ears, going ā€œNyah, nyah, nyah, I canā€™t hear you!ā€)

(What The Fast?!) #28

@MelTar Just tried this and I like it. Tastes like broth! I donā€™t know if it will do for replacing coffee but Iā€™ll try it tomorrow.

There is much evidence that caffeine can be very good for us - and that it enhances metabolism - however, as with everything, there are exceptions! There may certainly be a need for metabolically deranged folks to abstain from caffeine - though I havenā€™t seen the convincing studies on that. Generally caffeine enhances and supports metabolism - but maybe the real question is what is added to the coffee to de-acidify the impact, maybe thatā€™s the missing link.

My self-experimentation has been rather convincing. I learning a long time ago that black coffee on an empty stomach - whether because of doing fasting or when used to quell hunger when a meal is delayed - is awfully hard on the system. And that taking a post-meal plain espresso with a creamy dessert can be heaven.

A lot of european and South American coffee is taken with lots of cream/fat or as a digestive after a creamy meal - not usually taken black on an empty stomach. There is also a French/Italian technique of taking the black coffee along with hot crusty bread or croissants or plain biscotti to soak up the acid - Iā€™ve tried it in my past of and it worksā€¦ for about 2 hours before youā€™re starving for lunch in that carbo crash way.

Also, the way one makes coffee matters a lot. I make traditional stovetop espresso in a stainless steel Vigano Iā€™ve had since the 90s, hereā€™s a pic I found on google images for the same kind:

Espresso is much lower in caffeine than french press or drip. I also add a little powdered cinnamon or cardamom to the basket with the coffee before brewing to sweeten it a little, and only fill the basket 2/3 full to weaken the consistency a bit. I drink the equivalent of about 3 espresso shots in the morning with plenty of fat.

I have found that adding 2-3 tablespoons of good fat to my morning coffee when fasting keeps me going another 6-8 hours before I need to eat. I use a 1 tblsp virgin coconut oil and 1 tblsp homemade ghee - with a spoon in my mug to stir it every few sips to help mix the oil in (I canā€™t stand to use a blender to make latte style emulsified coffee). I also add a few tablespoons of half n half because itā€™s delicious and gives me the 1 or 2 carbs needed to keep my female biology from thinking weā€™re starving and lurching into fat storage.

Inches keep dropping, brain keeps feeling amazing, so itā€™s working for me - plus smells great in the morning!

But everythingā€™s not for every body, etc.

(What The Fast?!) #30

Iā€™m wondering if it stokes hunger so Iā€™m going to try the tamari today, but I DO love coffee!!

Thirty days caffeine free! I feel so much calmer.

(Rachel P) #32

Do the test. Measure BG, then drink the coffee black. Measure your BG again at 30 min and 60 min after drinking. N=1 Then you will know what works for you! :+1:t3:

(Rhonda Hooks Ashison) #33

I just came off of a 32 day water fast. I loss about 32 pounds and have gained back 20. I have just figured out that coffee and caffeine causes me tremendous swollen ankles and insulin resistance. Other than stopping the caffeine and coffee. How can I turn this water retention around quickly? Help! I am about to POP!

That one always cracks me up, all I can come up with is if your used to drinking water, that the brain detects the taste of coffee as ā€œburntā€. Itā€™s hilarious seeing as how NOT strong House and Pike are and that always what people are referring to.

(Patty W) #35

I use these too upon occasion. Love themā€¦(& have been known to actually lick the wrapper on fasting daysā€¦:open_mouth:)

I got an Americano the other day from some random coffee shop and I wouldā€™ve sworn it was warm water and a splash of heavy cream. Zero coffee flavor whatsoever. Once you get into Starbucks itā€™s impossible to go back. The issue I have now is sometimes the Starbucks k-cups are hard to find at a decent price. Costco is hit and miss, Amazon is expensive as are most other retailers. I ordered some Tullyā€™s to try but weā€™ll see. I love everything about Starbucks except the price.

(Rhonda Hooks Ashison) #37

I know that the coffee and the caffeine are the cause of the swollen ankles and insulin resistance. In addition to cutting out all caffeine, how do I turn this insulin resistance around quickly. I am a beginner with the Keto Diet. I know that the formula is 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates, correct?

Here in Fla, I spend about $5 for 13 oz can of espresso ground Bustello. Iā€™m caffeine free now and fortunately Bustello also has a decaf version which is excellent. I donā€™t think it comes in k-cups though.

I should switch to a ground coffee, I feel guilty about k-cups sometimes because they are so damn wasteful.

(Maria) #40

I am super sensitive to caffeine and have found a brand that is 99% caffeine free and uses Swiss mountain water to remove it. Starbucks uses chemicals to remove the caffeine (although I drink it amyway when away from the house). Studies show the benefits of coffee come from the bean and decaf is still a strong antioxidant. I like the taste of coffee and the ability to drink a cup of decaf in the evening with no trouble sleeping.