Buying smaller pants, convinced I still need big ones!

(Jill F.) #1

So over the weekend my hubby and U went to thrift stores, Goodwills, etc to rummage and I got smaller pants. Ahhh the feeling, it’s amazing!

The problem I am having is still think I need the size I wore when I started. I have been busting out of that size for soooooo long that my brain automatically goes there at the store.
Has anyone else experienced this?
To me it is so bizarre, almost like having an argument with myself like “put those back! You know they will be too small!” Or if the smaller ones are a bit tight I want to not get them since in the past if I did go ahead and get them I would never actually get into them comfortably.

I am hoping the shock factor will wear off and I will continue to have to shop for smaller sizes! I know it will if I KCKO and I intend to do just that!

(Jane) #2

It took me 6 months at a stable weight before I could pick up a M shirt, eyeball it and NOT say “No way that fits me” Too many years wearing XL shirts to believe it and they just looked way too small. Until I try them on. :sunglasses:

(Heather) #3

Yep! I can relate. I spent 3 hours at Goodwill yesterday, picking out summer clothes, because I know last year’s will be too big. However, I don’t believe I am done losing (inches) yet, so I bought some smaller sizes for incentives. I didn’t try them on at the store, but I did when I got home and most of them fit now! It’s a great feeling, isn’t it?

(less is more, more or less) #4

Sure have. Heck, I’ve lost large amounts of weight in the past, and had to reduce my clothing size, only to replace those very clothing after regaining the weight. Maintaining my weight-reduction for 20 months helps give me the confidence that this ain’t no you-you diet.

(charlie3) #5

One of the most satisfying non scale victories was going from 34" jeans to the 31’s of highschool days. We sometimes wore our jeans very tight. I could squeeze into those 30 inchers too but there’d be no place to put my smart phone.

(Jill F.) #6

@charlie3 If you are as old as I am we didnt have cell phones to fit in our pockets in high school! That is an awesome feeling though!
@Redrobins same, some if mine fit now too! I am hopefully going to lose more pounds and inches so I hate to buy too much that fits right now. But I have quite a stack of things that are way too big in my closet right now already!

(charlie3) #7

I’m class of '67. There weren’t any smart phones but I imagined a walkie talkie with unlimited range so I could talk to anyone any where. I also daydreamed about having a computer terminal in my bedroom that would let me read all the magazines in the world without needing to go to the library. I was sure both could be done but nobody else seemed interested.

(Cristen) #8

Went to goodwill, picked out a size small in sweats and a t shirt. They were originally for my goal clothes. Lol. They ended up fitting. I normally would wear a size large or medium. I think it’s also going to take me some time to adjust to my new size.