Butter with olive oil and sea salt

(Candy Lind) #1

Has anyone else become enamored with the spreadable butter/olive oil/sea salt combos that are out there? I never noticed them until this weekend! I just got a 15-oz tub for under $3 at Aldi!

(TJ Borden) #2

I hadn’t heard of such a thing. Add some herbs and you could probably just eat it by the spoonful for a fat bomb

(Candy Lind) #3

I don’t think it would even require herbs! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Perhaps some bacon bits …

(Rob) #4

Spreadable butter is all the rage in the UK. IIRC the better ones are 80% butter fat (cheaper ones are 60%) but many still use seed oils for the remainder which is a shame. It’s all my parents use (and they were on margarine for years so it’s a win).
Some now use OO like yours… much better.

I use the KG traditional butter blocks because I no longer have anything to spread it on and the blocks are more efficient to store in the fridge but if I ever got into keto baking I would definitely consider it for the spreadability.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #5

I actually store my butter on the counter in a dish, which keeps it pretty spreadable. It doesn’t stay out long enough to do fermentation, much less go off. A bit of gentle lactic fermentation takes butter somewhere divine.

(Steve) #6

+1 - the Glad storage containers are the perfect size for a pound of butter. I keep mine in the cupboard.

(Olivia) #7

Unfortunately, they use rapeseed and sunflower oil in the spreadable butters, here. Some even advertise with olive oil but if you look at the ingredients list it’s massively diluted with other vegetable oils.
I recently made wild garlic butter for the upcoming BBQ season. Next time I’ll add some olive oil to the mixture.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #8

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. You have solved the butter battle in my house (wife likes sticks, I like bricks).

(Candy Lind) #9

It’s funny, but I got it for a completely different reason - transportability! It’s easier for it to be in a container in the truck, and I carry it in so I’ll have butter if all they have is margarine & grain oils. I HAVE gotten the small silicone containers to carry oil & dressings in, so I just might keep one of them full of this stuff so my butter will be “pocket-sized.”

(Mother of Puppies ) #10

Now I want bacon and fathead biscuits shmeared with butter and herbed olive oil:weary::weary::weary:

(Heather Meyer) #11

are you talking about whipped butter???

(Candy Lind) #12

Sorry it took so long for me to answer, @PortHardy! The butter I get for the truck is Land o’ Lakes butter with olive oil and sea salt; it comes in a tub. It’s not whipped; the olive oil makes it soft and easy to scoop and/or spread. They do butter with canola and some other mix, as well, so be sure to read the labels.

(Susan) #13

No, @CandyLindTX but I’ll be sure to look for it on my next ALDI trip!

(Candy Lind) #14

Aldi has their own brand and it’s much cheaper than LoL. I get it when I can. Careful there, they do mixes with canola & other seed oils, too.

That’s why I make my own. Before I would use a butter with 70% butter and 30% rapeseed oil. Now I mix room temperature butter with olive oil, and refrigerate.