Bulletproof coffee while intermittent fasting?

(Billy Stephens) #1

Hi everyone, I am new here (first post). I used the search feature and couldn’t really find my answer. I have been eating keto for 7 weeks and lost 25 lbs. 15 of that the first 2 weeks. Although it seems a little slow I am going to keep calm and keto on.

I read that intermediate fasting is a good thing but what I can’t find anywhere is if people intermediate fasting drink bulletproof coffee. I know that bulletproof coffee breaks a fast so that where I’m confused. Should I be drinking bulletproof coffee in the mornings or not?

You know right, drinking BP coffee isn’t fasting.
But it doesn’t mean it’s bad for you just like not doing IF may be perfect for someone. Whatever floats your boat.
If you have a very good reason to drink your BP coffee, do it.
If you want to do IF, do it only in your eating window.
You may change things gradually.
But I don’t know what are your goals and how your body responds to fasting in the morning (of course, you can start your eating window in the morning if that suits you better). You should figure it out yourself. What happens with or without your coffee, which is better regarding your goals and well-being?

(I never would drink BP coffee for zillion reasons, by the way so it’s easy for me. At least this thing is easy, I have my own hardships.)

Your fat-loss is QUICK! Well, proper. Not too quick.
(I lost nothing in my first 7 weeks except 4lbs water. And it never got any better. Just saying :smiley: I still know that your pace is great, it’s not merely compared to the slowest ones (or the hopeless ones like me) - though it depends on your fat to lose. But even people with huge extra fat don’t always lose it like crazy. I saw 4lbs per week for a long time from a heavy one who barely ate but not everyone can pull this off and most people don’t even should try.)

First off @Billy7871, let me say “Welcome to the forum!”

I suppose one thing I’ve learned the last few years is that there’s no hard and fast rule that applies to EVERYONE. The human body is such a wonderfully complex creation that it’s impossible to apply one approach to eating, and in this case fasting, to everyone.

Dave Asprey, founder and CEO of bulletproof.com, discusses fasting and strategies in his latest book, “Fast This Way: Burn Fat, Heal Inflammation, and Eat Like the High-Performing Human You Were Meant to Be.”

As the name implies, the book is about fasting and all the magnificent health benefits it provides. Is it for everyone? No, and he will be the first to admit that. But it can benefit most of us, certainly, those of us who are either overweight or obese. In his book, Asprey tells his own journey into fasting and what he’s learned along the way.

“The word fasting is associated with pain, and I wanted to teach people some hacks for fasting,” Asprey says. "I also put a whole chapter in for women, because fasting doesn’t work for everyone and there is no one best kind of fasting. The evidence seems pretty clear that fasting the same way every day or every week is probably also not the best strategy.

So, how do you make it so you can fast without pain when you have stuff to do? And how do you make it so you fast with all of the emotions of fasting when you want to really dig deep and do the meditation, personal development side of fasting? Sorting through all that hasn’t been done in a book, so that’s why I wrote it."

Contrary to popular belief, fasting doesn’t have to be difficult or painful. Asprey details three fasting hacks. The first one is to increase your ketone level. As explained by Asprey, hunger hormones start shifting when your ketone level hits slightly below 0.5, which is not yet the level at which you enter nutritional ketosis. He explains:

"Ghrelin will drop at 0.38, so almost no ketones. The hunger that comes with the ghrelin turns off. But there’s also a satiety hormone, the one that makes you feel full, which is called CCK or cholecystokinin. CCK, when you hit levels of 0.48, CCK makes you feel full. So, if you can get your ketones up to that level in the morning, then you will not pay attention to food.

The first step to get your levels up is mycotoxin-free black coffee — the Bulletproof beans are that. I did the original research about this. Anything that causes inflammation is going to make you hungry because inflammation just means the electrons that should be powering your thoughts are going to create inflammation in the body. They must go somewhere.

These toxins are present in very small amounts. Coffee that has more than five parts per million is illegal to sell in China, Japan and Europe, but it gets sent to the U.S., and we wonder why we get really hungry two hours after we have coffee and why we want sugar in our coffee.

It has to do with toxins, not coffee itself. A study at UC San Diego is really interesting. They found that the amount of caffeine present in two small cups of black coffee will double ketone production.

The second way is to make the coffee ‘bulletproof.’ And what that means is, you take your mycotoxin-free beans and you add some MCT oil. The 8-carbon chain (C8) MCT is the correct one. C8 MCT raises ketones four times more than coconut oil. [Then] you [add] butter and blend it or really shake it."

Of course, some might say he just has a product to sell so don’t bother reading it, but Asprey funded research at the University of Washington with Dr. Gerald Pollack, who determined that when water is mixed with grass fed butter or MCT oil, it creates a very large exclusion zone (EZ) in the water, and this EZ is important during fasting.

When you drink regular water, your body takes the water and puts it near your cell membranes, which are made of tiny droplets of fat. Body heat warms the water, converting it from bulk water into EZ water, which your body requires for ATP production and other biological processes, including autophagy and protein folding.

(I’m not an expert, I’m just repeating what I’ve read. :grin: )

“When you put that tiny bit of butter and the MCT oil and you blend it in the morning, the MCT is going to raise your ketone levels very meaningfully. I can always get to 0.5 with just a Bulletproof coffee. But you’re also getting this water in the form of the coffee that is already primed for your body to use it to start burning fat, to start making energy,” Asprey explains.

“This is why taking a bite of butter and drinking a cup of coffee isn’t going to do it for you. It’s a different process. And I have noticed profound differences from doing that … I have found that for women, in particular, starting out with this really helps, especially if you’re over 40.”

The book covers more strategies about fasting and losing weight, and I’m sorry if this is starting to sound like an ad for the book. I’m not trying to sell anything, but it’s just interesting to me how we can hear repeatedly “bulletproof coffee breaks a fast” when biology is so much more complex than that.

I started my keto journey in January of 2017 with a two week fast, after reading Jason Fung’s The Obesity Code. I had plenty of weight to lose and fasting this long didn’t really seem that difficult. Personally, this is not a strategy I would recommend to anyone, and sometimes I still can’t believe I went two weeks without eating. But I have found it more difficult to fast even one day in recent months. This had led me to rethink my approach, and consider other alternatives and more information.

It would be nice to simply say, “stop eating, drink plenty of water, make sure your sodium levels are adequate”, and that’s all you need to know about fasting. But I’m sorry, the human body just isn’t that simple.

Billy, I encourage you to not get hung up on this rule or that rule you heard, but try a combination of different strategies and find out what works best for you. When most of us start the ketogenic diet, we have so much fat and inflammation that simply eating low carb makes a tremendous difference; even fasting may be a breeze. As time goes on, and you lose more weight, you might realize that how you used to eat isn’t quite working out as it once did, and maybe you need to try something different.

Good luck with your research and keto journey, Billy. Please report back what you’ve learned, so we can learn from it too.

(Marianne) #4

I think over three lbs. lost per week (average) is great!!!

I don’t mean to be a debby downer, but I’d hold off on serious fasting until you are fat adapted. For me, that didn’t happen until almost four months of clean keto. For now, I’d have your bulletproof coffee in the morning, and then just your evening meal. I found when starting out that a bp coffee in the morning (or two) was totally sufficient to hold me until dinner. If you find you are really hungry before then or feeling anxious or compelled to cheat, eat something with protein and fat (eggs, cheese, bacon slices, leftover chicken or meat, can of tuna with just a little mayo to be palatable, etc.). Keep the carbs as low as you possibly can (if you can get it under 20/day, even better!), you will lose the weight while healing your body (IMO).

Welcome and good luck to you! Sounds like you are off to a great start and asking the right questions.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

At seven weeks in, you are probably close to being fully fat-adapted, if you are not already. We advise people not to fast before that point, because it’s simply one more stress that you don’t need, while making a major change to your diet. But at your stage, it is not likely to be a problem.

Some people enjoy fasting, while others do not. The easiest way to get into it is to wait until you find yourself forgetting to eat, at which point you will know you can go a day without food, with no trouble. Bulletproof coffee during a fast is not fasting, but Bulletproof coffee on an eating day is fine. The one exception is that if you are one of those people who are particularly lean, then you may need a bit of fat during the day to be able to fast successfully. If you still have fat to lose, however, you probably don’t need a Bulletproof coffee while fasting.

If you lost 25 lbs. in seven weeks, then you are doing quite well. Two pounds a week would be a respectable rate of loss, and the more slowly the weight comes off, the more likely it is to stay off.

If you drink a BPC, you’re definitely not fasting. Really up to what you want to do. You could eat bacon and eggs, have a nutritionally complete meal, and still take in less than what a BPC winds up being. From that angle, what’s the point? They do taste amazing, but I found after a while not worth wasting my intake on.

(Billy Stephens) #7

Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I just need to figure out what works the best for me.
I just assumed the majority of the people was saying they were intermediate fasting but still doing bulletproof coffee. I would rather have bacon and eggs. I drink coffee black so I don’t really care for the bulletproof coffee. I just thought I needed to get more fat in.

(Bob M) #8

The amount of fat you need…is complex. While I think it’s (probably) better to start with higher fat, some of us (including me) go to lower or even much lower fat after a while.

It can be individual, though. For instance, I do not eat bacon, haven’t for years unless my wife makes some and I make the mistake of eating it. Why? Because if I eat one slice, I can eat a whole pound. Easily. And want more.

I will eat food with bacon added to it or bacon wrapped around it. I don’t have as much of an issue with that.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #9

“works for me…” is almost a religious mantra here. Keep in mind, though, that you don’t yet and won’t for quite a while know what “works for me”.

True, each of us has individual specific differences based, in my opinion, on our genetics to some extent and particularly based on how long and how much and what specific damage we’ve suffered from eating SAD all the years of our previous lives. But we all also share some generic similarities. One of these includes the benefits of staying consistently in ketosis - and the benefits doing so are many and varied. Not staying consistently in ketosis delays, hinders and in extreme cases prevents gaining the benefits. Yes, you can lose weight/fat and get healthier just reducing carbs without going full keto.

My opinion, though, is that the human species evolved and adapted to living in ketosis rather than glycolysis. We have a built-in mechanism to synthesize all the glucose we require and have zero need to eat it. A better, healthier and longer life results from remaining consistently in ketosis. For example.

Bottom line is stay consistently in ketosis by eating sufficiently low carb - this forum recommends sub-20 grams per day as a starting target. Good stuff happens. Otherwise, not so much. Fine tune your menu as you learn and experience more.

You don’t mention whether you’ve started keto to lose weight/fat, address metabolic issues - diabetes, for example - or for general health benefits. It matters. For example, if you want to burn onboard body fat to lose overall weight, then you will eat less of it and a bit more protein to increase your metabolic rate to get the ‘fire burning hotter’, so to say. If you want to build muscle, then you’ll want to eat more protein. This requires a lot of trial and error over a period of several months.

Examples. I eat a lot of fat - 2000 - 2300 calories - per day of my 2500-2700 daily target. If I don’t, I get weak, tired, cold - I just run out of energy. Interestingly, I do not get hungry! On the other hand, some folks report they need to eat more protein to avoid feeling hungry all day. In both cases, however, we are in maintenance - not losing or gaining weight. Of course, some folks eat a lot more protein and pump iron to build more muscle to gain more lean mass. I think that’s a special case.

(Bob M) #10

How are you getting nutrition?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

You are implying that fat is just empty calories? Please review the following post, it contains multiple links to excellent related articles. By the way, I didn’t say I eat only fat. In addition to a variety of fats from both animal and plant sources, I also eat lots of cheese, cream (& whey and casein), meat, fish, to get 3-400+ calories of protein daily. My first couple of years on keto I also ate some veggies and fruit: mostly baby bok choy, avocados and olives. But very little since. Occasional avocado and olives, but not enough to consider part of my diet.

(Billy Stephens) #12

Why did you stop eating as much of the fruit and vegetables? Did you feel as if it was hindering your fat loss?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #13

I did not start keto specifically to lose weight, but incidentally I did over the first 6 months. Since then I’ve been in maintenance and weight has not varied by more than 1-2 pounds up/down.

I gave up on fruit, other than avocados and olives, simply because fruit, hype not withstanding, are just fructose (& related sugars) hits. I still eat avocados during the summer season, maybe a couple times per month. I still eat manzanilla stuffed olives occasionally during the rest of the year. Both contain little to no fructose - an avocado <1 gr / 100 grams and stuffed olives too little to measure. I think whatever vitamins and minerals are contained in fruits and veggies are better gotten in other foods.

You are correct, BFC breaks your fast.

There are many ways to get your fat.
I personally use fatty protein sources (and still tend to overeat fat as I love very fatty things and fat in general but my energy need isn’t so high) but there are other ways, added fat (BP has that galore, right?), fatty dairy with little protein… Just fatty protein might not be enough if one needs many calories but the protein shouldn’t go really high.
Many of us are fine with various fat percentages. We don’t need to add extra fat especially not using things we don’t even like. (And some of us should focus on minimizing fat, woe is me. But it’s way easier without needing some specific fat:protein ratio. 80% fat? 55%? Both are great as long as I eat the right amount of food. So there is room for super fatty items here and there :wink: Especially that we don’t even need the same amount of calories every day. We can be flexible! At least many of us can.)