Bullet Proof Coffee

(Allie) #81

The coffee I’m currently drinking was brewed with cardamom pods in with the grinds, then blended with cacao butter, coconut oil, heavy cream and butter. Never measure, just add whatever amounts I feel like adding. It works.

(Elizabeth ) #82

I use coconut or mct oil powder, a scoop of collagen and stevia. I can’t handle the butter.

(Mike W.) #83

2 tbsp Heavy Cream
2 tbsp Kerrygold
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
20 oz dark roast coffee
Blend.

I started out using ghee + coconut oil + HWC for my BPC but had quite an oil slick on top (I refuse to emulsify with machines in the morning :wink: ).

THEN, I started using just plain Kerrygold butter with the coconut oil, pouring in just half the amount of hot coffee to melt it via stirring, then topping up w/more coffee and a dash of HWC - and it’s really great!!! I drink a tall latte mug of this - as I use stovetop espresso, which is lower in caffeine due to the steam process.

It’s really fascinating how the palate changes over months of LCHF/keto - I can now taste a bit of natural sweetness from the oils and HWC, and feel no need to add erythritol to pitch in for my “lack” of the usual 4 tblsp of half n’ half I used for many years.

(Rita Fernandes Venter) #85

Add some vanilla. I personally prefer to eat my fats than to drink them though.

(Tim W) #86

I have what I think is a new addition to the bpc concept.

Since it’s cold and snow is on the way I added some MCT oil to my last 1/2 cup of black morning Joe. Putting the MCT away I spied the dehydrated peanut butter we keep on hand for certain recipes etc and I figured why not?

I added about a 1/2 tsp, quick stir and… Heck yes. Nice pb flavor and, the last drink was loaded with a nice dose of easy to drink pb. Highly recommended if, like me, you are a pb fan.

(Stacey) #87

Was the product called PB2? I have some old PB2 stored away in my pantry from my pre-keto days. Maybe this would be a good way to use it?

(Tim W) #88

It was the ALDI brand of dehydrated PB, not sure of the name brand (away from the house at this time).

I think the PB2 would work just fine, we quit using it due to sugar content but I’m a big fan of “using up the old stuff” unless it’s just the worst, for example, I’d toss a bag of snickers if given them as a gift but I’d use up a container of PB with sugar in recipes, or donate it to a food pantry.

(What The Fast?!) #89

Yowza. That’s a meal in itself! 66ish grams of fat.

It was actually BPC that brought me to Keto dieting, not the other way around. Long story short, I work a pretty intense job, so I asked my Doctor for Modafinil, as I could get the alertness and focus without the anxiety/jitters of high caffeine doses.

After a year on Modafinil, he suggested long term use might not be good for me (even though evidence up to 30 years show no side effects), but in case he refused to keep prescribing it (high stress job is not one of the indications for the drug in Australia! It’s mostly used to treat sleep apnea), I thought I’d give BPC a go. Not for the caffeine, but because others told me that because you’re not digesting in the morning, your mental focus can be better.

It took me about 4 or 5 experiments to get something I enjoyed drinking. The final recipe was

1. Single shot of espresso
  2. 100ml of hot water
  3. 1tbs of grass fed unsalted butter
  4. 1tbs of coconut oil
  5. 1 tsp equiv. of stevia (It’s buffed out to make the same volume as sugar for equal sweetness)

Without the water, it was too rich. Double shot espresso was too bitter, and more than 1tbs of each oil caused gastro upset.

Since being on BPC, I only take Modafinil when I expect to be working to midnight. BPC doesn’t have the same focus effect as Modafinil, but it has a similar but weaker effect for about 3-4 hours instead of 8-10. I am thinking of bringing a blender to work and taking a second BPC at lunch instead of a Modafinil, but if I understand correctly, the focus aspect won’t be there if I actually eat anything solid for lunch.

If you’re not after that same focus without jitteriness, I agree with everyone else. Why force yourself to drink anything you don’t like. Plenty of other ways to keep up the fats without carbs.