Bucket carry accountability

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #1

I’m 65yo and do some resistance training and light cardio at the gym 5 to 6 days a week. Today I am starting to do some calisthenics at home for core strength and to supplement the work at the gym.

Also, I’m going to start to do bucket carry training today as well. I don’t feel like I have good whole body strength. I have a small rectangular bucket and will start with ~20 lbs of sand. Each week I will add a little sand. Eventually, I will graduate to a bigger bucket and more sand.

On good weather days I will walk my street to get some distance in.

I have no idea how long this will take but I will post some pictures as I progress and hope to get to >60lbs in the bucket.

(Robert C) #2

For bucket carries or farmer’s carries or any significant extra weight (like an extra heavy weight vest) it is best to be extra carful about the loading (time under tension) of the lower spine (to avoid a disc herniation if this type of loading is new to you).

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

Thanks Robert. That is why I am starting with 20 lbs. Will let comfort or discomfort guide me.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Got the sand finally and here is my initial carry of 20lbs. Taking it real slow to take care of my back.

I hope to add a few lbs of sand every 1 to 2 weeks.

(Allan Misner) #5

I want you lifting that bucket with your legs. And I mean from the ground to standing.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Not sure what you are saying. Lifts are part of this. Legs not back. Right?

(Allan Misner) #7

Yes, when you’re picking the bucket up, you need to use your legs throughout the lift. And then when you’re setting it down. This will get even more important as the weight goes up.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #8

Yes agree. Thanks.