Brisket

(Bacon for the Win) #1

I found a recipe for a brisket that I would like to make for Passover. Unfortunately it calls for a cup of brown sugar. I would like to leave that out. Any suggestions what to use instead? TIA.

(John) #2

How are you preparing it? I make smoked brisket quite a lot and with that flavor profile sugar is a no no. Salt and Black pepper is the most common, 3:1 everywhere outside of TX, 1:1 in TX.

(Jacquie) #3

Seems like the best lc option might be a small amount of molasses with an artificial sweetener like Swerve.
http://yourlighterside.com/2012/09/make-your-own-almost-sugar-free-brown-sugar/

(Bacon for the Win) #4

this is the recipe, all in the crock pot.

Serves 8 to 10 servings

3 large onions, sliced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (adjust to your heat preference)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups beef stock (unsalted or low salt)
1 cup ketchup*
1 cup chili sauce* (I’m realizing from comments that there are many many types; I used Heinz, which is not exactly spicy)
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark)
8 to 10 pound brisket

(Bacon for the Win) #5

thanks for this link. looks doable.

(John) #6

All those are great with brisket except the sugar, not even sure why it would be there. Pork goes well with sweetness, beef usually doesn’t.

(Bacon for the Win) #7

I think it’s there just because SAD has everyone adding sugar to everything. I make my own ketchup and chili sauce so carbs there are negligable.

(John) #8

How long does it cook? For smoking you have to hit 190, usually 200. Sooo many briskets are ruined at steak temps.

(Bacon for the Win) #9

crockpot on low for 10 hours.

(Andrew Anderson) #10

I have 16 pound brisket to smoke for Passover. I use a dry rub and let the family make their sugar sauce on the side.

(John) #11

Scary! But I am used to cooking for very particular BBQ folks.

BTW, Semper Fi!

(Bacon for the Win) #12

@Mr.A46221 that’s a good idea too. Since it’s only 3 of us this year, I’ll be eating most of the left overs. They’ll get it the way I like it!

@jmbundy I let hubs do the BBQ. He has it down to an art form. I should probably have him do the brisket but I want to use this recipe this time. I have ribs for him to do later in the week :slight_smile:
Semper Fi back atcha!

(Andrew Anderson) #13

@NelleG I call it a butter rub. Looking forward to 4am.