Brisket tips?

brisket
mealplanning

(Meeping up the Science!) #1

I’m going to Costco monday to buy a gigantic brisket to cook and portion for the month. I was wondering if anyone had cooking/spice tips. :slight_smile:

(bambiying2) #2

I turn on the oven to 350. Put the brisket in a pan fat side up coated in salt and pepper. Leave uncovered and cook for 1 hr. After the hour, lower the oven to 325. Pour about a half inch of beef broth in the bottom of the pan, cover tightly with foil and then cook another 3 hours (little more or less depending on how big the brisket is.) It comes out moist, delicious and falling apart every time.

(Larry Lustig) #3

At the moment, I am cooking 27 pounds of brisket. We see a lot guests during Hanukkah. Here’s my traditional recipe – it had some things that are not good for a keto version, I would just leave them out.

Separately reduce a quart of beef stock and a half bottle of red wine by 50% (or leave it the wine).

Brown the brisket on both sides until quite dark.

On a Dutch oven or other covered vessel cook the brisket, reductions, and one dried Chipotle pepper and two ancho peppers in the oven for six hours at 300 degrees.

Remove the brisket and allow to cool to room temperature or below. Separately cool the gravy and de-fat (or not). To the gravy add any of the following that meet your diet: carrots, parsnips, pearl onions. Cook the gravy until vegetables begin to soften.

Slice the brisket across the grain. Return to vessel and pour in the sauce / gravy. You can rest the dish like this for several days; it will benefit. When ready to serve, cook in a 325 oven for an hour or so.

(Meeping up the Science!) #4

That’s…a heck of a brisket. I know better than to refuse a traditional brisket recipe.

27 pounds?! I’m almost afraid to ask how big a pain you use for that!

(Jake P) #5

I only do brisket in a charcoal smoker. My mom used to make a really good brisket in the oven. If it was just me eating it it would last about a week and a half or so.
The down side to smoking it takes 12-14 hours.

Good luck, brisket is delicious.

(Meeping up the Science!) #6

I love smoked brisket! Sadly, my upstairs apartment neighbors would not appreciate my efforts as much! Just wait until I get a house, though. I’ll do a brisket meatup in a few years.

(anonymous94) #7

:slight_smile:

(đ૯αท ʍ૯ઽƬѳท) #8

I’m smoking a brisket at 100ºC starting tis Friday night for lunch on Saturday as the delicious protein for my birthday menu :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: