Brenda's personal 30 day steak challenge journal

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #67

Day 23. March 22, 8:30 am.

Ketonix, 2 red. Blood ketones also optimal nutritional ketosis. BP stellar.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #68

Day 22 March 21 steak eaten was 1 pound 9.5 ounces total. 18 ounce fatty ribeye and 7.5 ounce fatcap sirloin. Photo wouldn’t upload.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #69

From The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek, page 66.
“Protein is not a particularly efficient fuel source… it makes no sense to consume it in excess.
…we recommend aiming for an intake in the range of 0.6 to 1.0 grams per pound lean body mass.”(LBM).
I chose the middle 0.8
0.6 is better for sedentary, and 1.0 for athletes.

I’m somewhere in between :slight_smile:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #71

Day 23, March 22.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #72

Day 24, March 23.
Ketonix, one red. Great blood ketones too!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #73

Day 24, March 23.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #74

Day 25, March 24.
All time low today, 8 pounds lost!
I’ll be stopping on March 29, the 30th day. I have a clinic appointment that day, and will have as much blood testing as my insurance allows. A1c and lipids will be done.

I will begin testing for food sensitivities on March 30. Not sure which food I’ll test first. All foods tested need to be a single ingredient and tested for three days minimum. This takes a further test of will. I figure there are at least 20 foods/sweeteners I want to test. That would be 60 more days of restriction. IDK, so I’ll do the most important foods first.
Very good day. Blew 4 red on the Ketonix and had high blood ketones as well upon waking.
Today was a heavy lifting day. Usually lifting increases hunger. Ate less steak than usual. 1 pound, 3.5 ounces.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #75

Blood glucose before my meal today, and two hours post prandial. 19.5 ounces ribeye beef steak with extra fatcap, 85 grams protein, 125 grams fat. My goal is .8 grams protein per lb LBM, which is over 100 grams protein!

Obviously all this protein in one meal does NOT affect my blood glucose levels.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #76

DAY 26, March 25.
8.5 pounds lost. All time high. It’s been 3 weeks, 6 days that I have eaten steak only. Protein .8 grams per pound LBM (which I have an exact measurement from a DEXA scan), fat to satiety (which has been 125-150 grams a day!!) AND
I’ve been losing a half pound a day lately.

Do you see now why I call bullshit on “low fat keto, eat the fat off your body” malarkey?That’s just crazy talk. And how they must suffer. Sheesh. Hungry constantly no doubt.

FAT IS NOT THE LEVER

Fat is the magical answer to regulating hormones.
INSULIN is the lever.

Ketonix 9 yellow, ketones 2.2, waking BG 98.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #77

Day 26, March 25.
Blew 2 red on the Ketonix just before dinner. Forgot to check blood glucose before I noshed down that chunk of sirloin straight off the grill.
I ate a total of 23.8 ounces of steak tonight. I was hungry! Probably because I lifted heavy yesterday and powered up my lifts by 5-10 pounds on more than one machine! Ketones turn you into superman!
(Not shown is the 3.5 piece of leftover ribeye from yesterday that I also ate. It was already added to the total ounces above.)

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #78

16 hours fasted, 26 days zero carb.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #79

Day 27, March 26.
Waking blood glucose and blood ketones.
Ketonix 1 red.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #80

I’v been asked “How do you do this!?”
I am able to stick with this steak challenge for several reasons:

1. I made a commitment to my friend Donna Lordi @Donna and all the other followers on the forum.
  2. except for shark week, I have lost nearly a half pound a day on this challenge, and as of today, day 27, I am 8.5 pounds down.
  3. I also commit by putting in perpetual orders at two favorite butchers, and frankly, cannot afford all the regular keto foods too. I’m stuck with the steak. Lol
  4. I feel fucking FANTASTIC, <–this keeps me going.
  5. I am only limiting protein (.8 grams per pound of my LBM), fat I eat to satiety. I am never hungry until my eating window approaches. That is VERY freeing.
    I HAVE BEEN EATING ON AVERAGE 150 GRAMS OF FAT A DAY
  6. I am the kind of person who loves a challenge, and having self control over food is always a victory given my past.
  7. I have a doctors appointment to draw blood the last day of my 30 day steak challenge. I want to see my A1c and lipids after this!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #81

Day 28, March 27.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #83

Day 29, March 28.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #84

Last day tomorrow March 29.
Also clinic visit for bloodwork tomorrow.