Brand new to program

(Diana Ewing) #1

A friend has suggested this diet as a possible way to lose weight and to keep it off. She is diabetic and I am not. But I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR) and RA. I currently receive a Biologic via Infusion every 28 days. Even though I am in intense pain, I currently do not take Opioids. I use Tylenol 650 mg (3500 mg/day) to help manage pain. Unable to take Aleve ( which works the best) due to bleeding. Currently on Prednisone daily (5mg) with increases up to 60 mg/day when flare-up occur. Exercise is at minimum due to extreme pain.

Any and all suggestions for allowable foods, and diet meal plans would be appreciated.

(David) #2

Hello Diana and welcome to the forum. Knowledge is power and you will find a lot of knowledge on this site. As an addition, to help you come to a decision on whether a Ketogenic way of eating can work for you, I would find a way to listen to the 2 keto dudes podcast. At the beginning of each show you get a summary of the principles of a keto way of eating and a recipe at the end of each show. The recipe section of this forum had some fantastic recipes too with loads more on the Internet. Maybe allow yourself a little immersion time and good luck on accessing a way of eating that is proving very healthy for me and many others.

(Insert witty quote here) #3

Immersion time is great advice! The 2ketodudes podcast is where I got started. It’s an easy listen; they are fun, intelligent, and make an otherwise dry topic very interesting. I almost feel like they are old friends.:grinning:

Read the getting started post, and go from there. Good luck!

(Keto in Katy) #4

@Dlewing: best wishes to you on your path to better health. There are many good (and smart) people on this forum who can be very helpful, so I hope you will stick around and get the benefit of that.

We love success stories and I hope we get to see yours here. :thumbsup: :grinning:

Diana, I hope you discover what works for you. There are a lot of good recommendations above.

I’m happy to share a few thoughts on food for pain reduction, too.

For me, when I stopped eating so many carbs, the pain in my joints went away. Will it work for you? I dunno. But, maybe something to try. It took a good month for pain to disappear. Funny thing is that it was so gradual, I didn’t notice. I used to hang on the rail while climbing or descending stairs since pain was so great. But, one day, while sauntering up the stair case I was like “what the heck?! No more pain?!?” All pain disappeared. If I eat too many carbs, the pain comes back. This will happen if I eat too much fruit or cave in and have a beer with friends. I enjoy it for a bit. But then pay for it for a week.

Another thing I eliminated that is known to cause inflammation is industrialized 'vegetable and seed oils, and margarine. Oils with high omega 6 content, like soya, corn, sunflower, cottonseed, vegetable oils are very inflammatory. It is better to use extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil and macadamia nut oil. These four only need to be squeezed and oil comes out. The other industrial oils go through a Frankenstein process, resulting in high omega 6 and very inflammatory. Also, other alternatives are using natural fats like butter or bacon grease. Of course, fish contain high omega 3…so a nice way to get great anti-inflammatory fats in the diet.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted with your journey.

(Jaidann) #6

I hope you feel better! I don’t have any experience with this but I wanted to welcome you and wish you well!

(Jacquie) #7

@Dlewing Diana welcome to the forum! You’ve definitely come to the right place where you’ll find lots of excellent information and a great group of folks that will support you on your journey. You’ve already gotten some super suggestions!
I worked in rheumatology for over 30 years, so I understand the ins and outs of PMR and RA. Glad to hear you’re not on opioids and hopefully a ketogenic way of eating (woe) will keep you from needing them. Keto is anti-inflammatory, so I think it can only help to make you feel better in the long run. We are here for you! :grinning:

(Diana Ewing) #8

Thank you for the encouraging letters. I actually started the Keto process on 5-22-2017. But lost this information site and also how to plan fasts. So kind of did my own thing. I stopped all sweet drinks, including sweet tea; all breads, pastas, (actually all grains), no foods with starch such as potatoes and sweet corn, all fruits except berries (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries), cherry tomatoes, lemon and lime (sparingly). My diet consists of eggs, red meat (tri-tip, prime rib, high grade prime cut steak all grilled with no seasoning except sea salt, garlic and occasionally rosemary). The beef is non-antibiotic range fed; chicken, pork chops and steaks also grilled and Tuna Fish. I might correct that prime rib is often oven prepared. I have a CuisinArt indoor grill which has been very helpful in starting this program. My fresh vegetables consists of broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumbers, a few green pea pods, lettuce, every color of bell peppers there are, and carrots (1/2 of a medium size) every 3 days. I have added to the meat an Italian dried salami with 1 gr of carbs (0 sugar, 0 Fiber). Dairy right now consists only of cheddar cheese. I do include eggs with lunch and dinner. I drink green and or black tea with lemon, coffee black (unable to drink any other way), water and water + crystal lite. I have nuts to snack on, but try and only do that sparingly. I do use a store bought dressing Litehouse Homestyle Ranch which shows 2 gr of Carb, 0 Fiber and 1 gr sugar. I use Organic Balsamic Vinegar on my salads.

I can tell from reading other posts that I am not eating enough fats, but after having low fats pounded into your head for 40+ years it is very hard to change the mind set. The morning I started I weighed in at 218. Weight check at clinic on 8-24 was 198.8. For me that is a huge drop and almost too fast of a drop. But this week no loss and in fact 1/2 pound gain. At this point not too worried as I know weight fluctuates with water, etc. Also taking a steroid daily tends to mess with loss on a consistent basis.

In reading many articles, I could find no information on fasting. I have been doing the following; often go without breakfast (actually prefer to), also skip lunch with no hunger issues. Then will eat evening meal of meat, veggies and cheese. I have on several occasions gone 24 to 36 hours without eating. Have to admit pretty weak at end of 36 hour fast. But need to know if this is the proper way?

Also how do I know if I am in Ketosis? I am not diabetic, not even close. So no testing equipment for blood sugars. Should I have my Doctor run a test to see, or is there something I can do at home?

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to let you know what I had been doing as far as diet was concerned. I will honestly confess I hate to cook. My late husband did all of the cooking, which has left me sort of out of sync!! So my meals are simple, quick and easy to prepare. Interestingly, I have not tired of the choices. Any and all advice will be greatfully appreciated. Rip it apart if you need to. Just want this to be a successful endeavor!!

Have a great day!
Diana/shortperson

(Carpe salata!) #9

Hi @Dlewing , Everything there sounds great. To get tighter under the 20g carbs you could cut back on the capsicum and carrot? Otherwise you are great - and even the fasting.

Could you re-read your OP and report any changes? From memory you had bad pain, lots of pain meds and steroids and a monthly infusion. You actually sounded to be in a bad way. I was so hoping the keto helped you.