Books, YouTube channels and podcasts that have changed your life

(Patrick) #21

Podcasts:
Joe Rogan Experience (introduced me to Keto long ago)
2 Keto Dudes (convinced me to start Keto)
The obesity code
FoundMyFitness

The Great Cholesterol Myth - this actually started me down the rabbit hole
Living Low Carb - I liked Jonny Bowden so I got this book which got me looking into Primal and listening to the primal podcasts where I listened to an interview with, I think, Jimmy Moore, which got me looking into keto, listening to his podcasts (which I quickly got kind of tired of his schtick) which progressed to
2 Keto Dudes and here I am

(VLC.MD) #23

I think Iā€™ve been mixing these two up !

(Keto in Katy) #24

Itā€™s the classic Ludstwigian Conundrum!

(KetoCowboy) #25

All great recommendations.

On YouTube, I especially enjoyed the Tim Noakes trial.

I also recommend Scott the Truckdriverā€™s YT channel if you like to hear from regular people in addition to scientists.

(Michael ) #26

Iā€™ll check them out. Thanks

(Janet) #27

And beyond the last names, they are both pediatric endocrinologists! Couldnā€™t they have picked different specialties? I call them David and Robertā€¦my good friends :smile:

Which reminds me of a resource that has changed some minds about grains, fats and sugarā€¦the PBS health special fundraisers (infomercials for the authors) January in our area is packed with health talksā€¦Grain Brain, Mark Hyman, Dr Davis, David Ludwig has one too. Like TedTalks on steroidsā€¦usually about an hour of info that takes two hours with fundraising. For those who wonā€™t read a book, this format of talks may appeal.

Earlier this year i would not have even considered trying something like low carb, keto / I.F. but I knew I had to make some new habitsā€¦

So the very first book that got the ball rolling (small changes snowballing up over the weeks and months to full blown keto) Was ā€œSlim by Designā€ by Brian Wansink.

Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life https://g.co/kgs/FexSWD

I applied many of these principles to my ā€œcarbageā€ lifestyle, which went deeper than just what macro split made up my diet. The principles in this book was my entry down the rabbit hole I am still going down (if I recall my sequenceā€¦ It followed Pollan, Taubes, Ludwig, Lustig, Fung, 2ketodudes)

Wansink is entertaining to listen to, has many YouTubes of experiments he conducted demonstrating just how little most of us ā€œthinkā€ and ā€œdecideā€" what / when / how much to eat. Most of it is habit. His thesis is usinging little hacks (set up our environment & subconscious choices) so we build new good habits + donā€™t need to spend mental energy or what we would consider willpower to make healthy living easier.

Processed carbage slowly fell away as I replaced chips with a fruit bowl, cereal with steel cut oatsā€¦ And large plate with little ones.

This was a more philosophical breakthrough, and the road to keto was paved by this core switch of surrounding myself with simpler healthier options that has since evolved over about 6 mths to keto!

(Michael ) #29

Iā€™ve now watched about everything by gary taubes on YouTube. His manner of speaking and sense of humor is intoxicating