BOO! CPK Cauliflower crust apparently not keto friendly :(

(Robert Hollinger) #1

I got an email today from California Pizza Kitchen that was hyping their new limited time cauliflower crust. I would have to think that the primary motivation for this crust is a response to the low carb keto/paleo/etc movements. They already have gluten free options.

So, before I ordered I decided I should ask what is in it. Ok, Cauliflower, Cheese (I think Mozzarella but I didn’t really pay attention), Egg White…RICE FREAKING FLOUR and TAPIOCA STARCH! Are you kidding me? really?

what a disappointment.

I realize it could be trace amounts and the carb load may be primarily the cauliflower but I doubt they will publish a breakdown of starch/flour vs vegetable. Granted they still haven’t published the overall nutrition info either.

Anyway, be warned.

(Sophie) #2

Yeah, I see flour or starch anything and it’s a no-go for me unfortunately. :persevere:

(Alfred Balagtas) #3

ugh…I didn’t check…I was coming off a 24hr fast…keto test was a dark purple…after eating pizza for dinner…test only showed trace the next morning…previous weeks daily tests were all purple…tasted good tho =/…probably too good based on cauliflower bread i’ve made.

(Angela Nunn) #4

Man I was planning to try that today when I saw this post.

(Bunny) #5

What are they thinking? I would go over their and give them a lecture! Armed with a better recipe!

(Nate) #6

14g total carbs per slice, 1g fiber. 13g net carbs vs 25 for regular crust is … Not as bad, I guess?

(Robert Hollinger) #7

not as bad but hardly low carb. they are chasing the low-carb market (they already have a gluten free crust) and tricking less savvy consumers into eating way more carbs than they are expecting.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #8

You can make the same crust with cauliflower, egg and mozzarella and make yourself. I have made crust homemade. You don’t need any kind of flour in it.

I just saw my friend who is trying to lose weight had some cauliflower baking flour in her kitchen, I got a lil excited/skeptical and looked at the facts—15g carbs per 1/4 c with 3g fiber.

No comment necessary.

We’ve talked about keto before and she thinks she can’t do it so I don’t really talk about it anymore but it makes me sad

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #10

What’s the recipe?

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #11

https://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/keto-low-carb-cauliflower-pizza/

(Running from stupidity) #12

If people are aiming for 20g, then yes, it’s hopeless.

Yup, same for those cauli crusts you find in the frozen section at some supermarkets. Yet another reminder that you always have to read the labels

(Robert Hollinger) #14

there are a couple of legit cauliflower crusts (one may actually be in some stores) but they are more expensive. i know you can make yourself but to be able to get a low carb option at an actual restaurant would be nice. too bad they don’t get it.

(Running from stupidity) #15

You mean “too bad the market for it is so tiny and they’re making decisions based around staying in business.”

(Robert Hollinger) #16

absolutely not true. If that were the case they wouldn’t have even bothered. the whole reason they are doing this is to reach the low carb market (not just keto). but as people discover that it’s not a whole lot better they are alienating that market even more so it is likely to cost them money long term. I guess the key is how long they can maintain the deception and keep people in the dark.

(Robert C) #17

Top priority is flavor (not your health - even when they say “we’re doing low carb for your health”).

Restaurants will not survive if you do not return so they’ll give up very little on the flavor to get a “low carb” label.

A truly low carb pizza that tastes like cardboard will not attract anyone (low carb crowd or wannabes).

A pizza labeled “low carb” (which does not happen to fit any sort of a strict definition of “low carb”) but that tastes good will get people that want to fool themselves in the door and eating half a pizza (or more). It will even get people that usually come in and just have pizza to add something else. Very similar to the dieter that walks into a burger place asking for a cheese burger and a Diet Coke. “Want fries with that?” HMMmmm… well, I am being “good” because I went with Diet Coke instead of regular - “Sure, I’ll have fries with that”.

(Robert Hollinger) #18

true but cauliflower crusts w/out all the garbage are hardly flavorless. for that matter, the garbage they add is not for flavor, it is binders. the real low carb crusts may not bind as well but if you cook it properly it does.