Bone Broth - powdered ok?

(lldb) #1

Is the powdered bone broth ok while fasting? I just spent $27 on this and now I’m realizing I might have messed up :frowning: It is “Beyond Bone Broth” made by Jarrow Formulas.

looks like each serving has 5 g of carbs

(lldb) #3

Yeah, I was reading how bone broth can help you feel better while fasting and then I saw this at kroger so I grabbed it. But yeah, the carbs seem too high. Uggg :frowning:

real easy to make your own, and then boil it down, freeze in icecube tray and just add one to cup of boiling water when you want

(lldb) #5

I will have to try that. I like the ice cube idea. We do that with pesto. Is there a store bought bone broth that is recommended if I don’t have time to make the homemade?

(Troy Anthony) #6

I prefer homemade as well, but I constantly see kettle and fire being recommended. I find these high end bone broths to be expensive at my usage however so if you have time, really explore homemade. It’s very easy, highest quality, and very cheap as if you are eating bone in meats anyway, you just need a few veggies for spice.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, since even Dr. Phinney says stock cubes are okay, even though he really recommends homemade broth. Just check the list of ingredients to make sure the product is acceptable to your goals. (For example, I wouldn’t necessarily avoid bone broth at 5g/cup, as long as it wasn’t 5g of sugar, but I’d make sure that I stayed under my carb limit for the day.)

(lldb) #8

OK, that is good to know. At least I won’t have to waste it because it was expensive. I’m going to try and make the homemade broth this weekend. I’m having the hardest time with nausea - mainly if I go more than 16 hrs without eating but sometimes even when I eat more often. The last 2 times I ate salad - was not good. I’ve been doing the keto for 4 weeks now. :frowning: Hoping keto flu will be over soon.

(Ann D Blais) #9

I made bone broth for the first time this week. Is this how we are supposed to use it? Diluted? I wasn’t sure and I’ve got it refrigerated in quart containers.

i boil mine down till it fits one ice cube tray, then freeze them and when I want one just plop one cube in a cup and fill with boiling water. But it does not have to be watered down unless it tastes to strong for you.

(Maria W) #11

I drove all the way to an Asian market just to get chicken feet and necks to make a 30 hour broth. Flavored it with some onion and celery, it was delicious.

Then I went to Costco and bought a 6 pack of Culinary Traditions, organic chicken bone broth. O carbs and after adding a bit of garlic salt and dried shallots it’s as tasty as my homemade broth.

(lldb) #12

That sounds good. I’m going to look for it!