Bodyweight training

(Bob Weiman) #1

I noticed a few mentions of bodyweight training in other thread(s) but figured I’d go ahead and start a distinct one. After an injury and sickness filled fall, I’m getting back into the routine. I’ve been doing the Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout to get back into it. I also got my kettle bells and dumbbells out of storage so I’m not strictly just bodyweight training. Anyone else have any favorite bodyweight routines / hints / tips / tricks?

(Dave) #2

Walking lunges are one of the best things for me… Love doing it when I’m away on holidays or something… Doing 400m of walking lunges is like doing weight training and cardio at the same time… Its also great for your connective tissue and will stop you getting injured

(Anna Hermsdorfer) #3

Check out a book called Convict Conditioning. It has a great series of progressions for several bodyweight exercises. I’ve been following it off and on for a year and gained some great strength. Knee injuries have forced me away from the squat progression, however, as I can’t do anything single-leg now, but the others are great.

(Jake P) #4

I do DDP Yoga three days a week, and just starting 5x5 strong lifts three days a week.

There’s a book, website, app called You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) that uses the same principles as convict training. It focuses on using no equipment other than some common household items, like tables and chairs. The app takes you through guided workouts at different fitness levels, with variations on each exercise.

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #6

@TacoRobot My man! That’s exactly what I’m doing! Great minds…

(Matthew Standridge DDS FAGD) #7

Great book recommendation. That’s the book I send people to if interested in bodyweight exercises. The story of the book is a bit silly (and quite possibly made up), but the application of the exercises and the progressions are golden

(John) #8

The Recommended Routine from the Reddit sub is great, gets a lot easier if you’re dropping weight as well.
Linky

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #9

Planks, dips, body weight squats (variations), rucks, overhead carries, and more.

(migorstmarseille) #10

I’ve been doing DDP for a couple years, and started doing basic exercises from “Convict Conditioning”. I’m in better shape than I was in my 30s. I’m 50 now.

(Chip Engler) #11

I started strength training a year and a half prior to starting Keto. I train primarily in the winter months, not much spare time in the summer since I’m outside playing. I’m continuing to train while eating low carb but I struggle with the mental balance of carb/protein nutrition.

(barrytspencer) #12

Freeletics was good as a bodyweight workout (phone app), with a good portion of exercises free if you wanted to give it a crack at no cost

(Jason) #13

Great app. It logs each workout as well so you can compare times in the future.

(Róisín ) #14

I agree, they are so simple but effective.

split this topic #15

A post was split to a new topic: Suspected Spam

(Omar Newsome) #16

There is an app called 12-minute trainer that gives random routines that has a body weight option. It has been my best friend while traveling and using hotel gyms with sparse equipment.

(eat more) #17

Nike+ Training Club is pretty cool too