Body by Science - Slow burn

(Jacquie) #6

I did BBS back in 2011 and I got good results but I got a slight shoulder injury that healed completely. Did full body workouts after that. I started BBS again last year but choose not to go to failure as I didn’t have a spotter. Did that for a few months and recently changed things up. Doing the big 5 but 3 sets of 8-10 reps, lifting heavy.
That’s wonderful finding a gym that specializes in this. Woo hoo! :slight_smile:

(Sandra Watson) #7

Agree, you for sure need a spotter to take full advantage.

(Sandra Watson) #8

Jacquie one of my reasons for doing this is the low injury risk, can you tell me what happened?

(Jacquie) #9

Sandra, I’m only 5’2" and most machines are set for average height folks, so I think it just came down to good form, taking my size into consideration. I don’t think you’ll be at risk, especially if you’re going to a gym that specializes in BBS. I’m so jelly. :smile:

(Sandra Watson) #10

Makes sense, this is ALL she does so part of the lure was the non injury. Your issue makes sense, thank you for sharing.

(Jamie Hayes) #11

I wrote a long post about it here. https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/introduction-to-lifting/449/15

The irony is that super slow training can reduce your training time and frequency significantly. My “rest between sets” is one week! I go to the gym once a week and do one “full” set of 5 compound exercises.

(Sandra Watson) #12

That is what I am talking about, thank you I wold love to read that.

(Sandra Watson) #13

Jamie, I am going to try once a week. Dexa scan tomorrow then scan again in 8/10 weeks to see what is up. Then find something else to do in the rest of the week that is complementary.

(Jamie Hayes) #14

Yes, I do other complementary activities like walking, stairs (multiple time), functional exercises at home and lap swimming.

Love Slow Burn and amazing results when I did it before. Just getting back to it again. Ted Naimen has great explanation on it too. I use free weights for some exercises, and body weight for others or for all if I can’t get to gym. Going to failure is hard but where you get the results. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RlYXb1xs86U

(sandra) #16

I know Deb, I am one of the lucky ones who has him as my doctor. I love that video as well as the food one on his site. www.burnfatnotsugar.com Great videos!

(sandra) #17

I like power yoga :wink: I am thinking that is a nice mix.

(Sandra Watson) #18

Jamie I am hoping you can answer a question for me. As stated I am just starting back up with any kind of intense workout (like this) Here is my issue… durring the last 15 seconds of the intense “push to failure” I get a MIND BLOWING headache. What can I eat/drink before hand to stop this from happening? I typically go fasted just because I am on a 23/1 eating. Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. TYIA =) PS, no endurance issues, just so intense that I can NOT continue.

(Sandra Watson) #19

another ps… no issues with 60 - 120 minutes of any type of cardio activity, ONLY this last push.

(Jamie Hayes) #20

Sandra,

This is not a good symptom that you need to pay attention to. I really think you need medical advice, not advice from me.

The best general advice I can give, which was given me by my now-passed father, a doctor, was “Listen to your body.” At the very minimum you should wind back the exercise that is causing the headache. I hope you are not holding your breath. Whether your hydration or blood sugar status affects this, I have no idea.

I have suffered a brain haemorrhage about 10 years ago, and was lucky not to have had a stroke. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks, could not work and was cross-eyed for 6 months. Prevention is better than cure. Please be sensible.

(Sandra Watson) #21

I am working on the breathing, that is hard for me because years of hearing "breath though your nose: SO HARD to get that part down. Pretty sure something to do with needing salt and or tad bit of carbs before workout but advice taken. I will write my Doctor and ask him…der, not sure why I did not think of that as he knows this stuff. (I don’t think most of them would understand the keto part) Thank you.

(Jamie Hayes) #22

I’d say that any good doctor would insist on seeing you face to face.

This is exactly why I would experience headaches doing BBS; I had to concentrate very hard to breathe regularly, especially during those last 10-15 seconds because I was trying sooo hard to push the weight.

(Jamie Hayes) #24

One more thought…

Some people doing BBS use a very heavy weight where a set lasts around 30 seconds or less. (Muscles can’t count reps.)

I prefer to use a weight that is light enough to enable me to do a set that lasts at least 60 seconds. With 10 second reps (5 secs lifting and 5 secs lowering) that’s about 6 reps. I actually do 20 second reps (10 secs up and 10 secs down) and so I only get out 3-5 reps. The slower the speed, and the longer the set, the lower the weight that’s needed to produce inroad (adaptive response). This adds a safety factor as well.

This puts me in the time until fatigue sweet spot (high inroad + high safety) of between 60 and 100 seconds. It’s academic if this should be 50 - 70 seconds, as that would vary with one’s genetic response that would only concern the coaches of olympic and professional athletes. But, for most, their genes and their body’s talents choose their sport, rather than their sport delivering their bodies.

At 63 years I am training to maintain good muscular strength and metabolic fitness, not train for a power lifting competition (with its risks). Plus I want to be able to do a whole body routine inside 30 minutes. 30 minutes in the gym once or twice a week is plenty for me.

(Jamie Hayes) #25

Need a spotter or not?

You can do high intensity super slow routines like BBS on selectorised (pin-loaded) machines (Nautilus, medX), plate-loaded machines (Hammer), free weights (dumbells etc), and even with your own body weight.

With pin-loaded machines the machine keeps you training in a restricted plane of motion. This adds a safety factor and virtually eliminates the safety need for a spotter. (Some machines do have less plane of motion restriction.)

Some machines (like MedX and Xfactor) are low friction and low momentum, and are superior (in my view) for BBS.

There’s little argument today, that choosing compound (2 joint) exercises (eg chest press) are superior to isolation (single-joint) exercises (tricep extension). Compound exercises work muscles in unison.

It’s a common statement “free weights are best”. I think that’s simplistic. There’s no doubt that free weights require greater skill and work the supporting muscles required to control the weight.

And so, for those who do not have good training skill, an educated spotter or good personal trainer, using machine weights may be a safer option.

PS Mirrors in a gym can be a good safety aid to keep your eye on your form. Any sharp pain and you’re doing something wrong.