Bob Harper's Heart Attack

I found myself saying this - but also @NinMD’s point - in one conversation recently and I realized they seem contradictory.

In a given meal, adding fat to carbs will slow down your glucose response (so, for instance, you’ll get a bigger glucose jump from jelly beans than from a high fat ice cream even if they have the same amount of sugar*)
AND
the jump in insulin from any carbs will prevent you from accessing your fat stores, and if you’re regularly combining fats and carbs (so basically HCHF) you’re putting yourself in fat storage mode while giving your body plenty of extra fat (and sugar) to store.

Not sure if that helps…

*depends on the person, obviously, but as a general rule, fat will blunt the sugar hit (from what I know)

ETA: this is a reply to Nin, not to Donna!

what happens when you eat high fat in the presence of sugar/starch

This was what I was asking for clarification on. It seems to imply that eating sugar/starch with fat is less healthy than eating carbs/sugar/starch without fat. I’ve seen this point made multiple times on the forum and wanted to provide the information that I’ve come across suggesting the opposite, so people can make their own educated choices. Obviously, limiting carbs is crucial for anyone concerned about insulin response, and it’s not as much a concern how you combine your foods if you are limiting carbs, however in either case (cheating or limiting carbs) good sources suggest that eating carbs with fat, fiber or vinegar can slow down the absorption of the carbs and therefore the insulin response. In other words, it doesn’t make eating higher carbs healthy, but if someone’s going to cheat, it would probably be more beneficial to combine those things.

Sorry, this reply was meant for @PugsDigMusic.

so, for instance, you’ll get a bigger glucose jump from jelly beans than from a high fat ice cream even if they have the same amount of sugar*

Yes, this is what I was referring to.

(Consensus is Politics) #25

Who? My thoughts too.

(Consensus is Politics) #26

This isn’t a reply to anyone specific, just my thoughts about the notion of eating fat with carbs to dull the effect of carbs influences on insulin. If I may be so bold…

Show me the science. I’m very skeptical about this. I can foresee an issue if fat impedes the carbs in some way, possibly changing from a insulin spike because of the carbs to a slow, long lasting, rise of insulin. I would think this would be something to avoid.

I have heard that Type 1 Diabetics using a long lasting insulin, have been having health issues because of insulin levels being higher than normal for long periods of time. I don’t know if that was even from a study or not, so just count it as hearsay, and dismiss it if it seems off kilter. I prefer to see the science behind the claims.

(Carolus Holman) #27

He may be disingenous, (according to this article). He should disclose the truth about what he did and is doing.

I’m not advocating serious consumption of carbs (with or without fat) but to answer your question, here’s an explanation from Dr Fung.

Hi Nin,

I believe the difference here would be some fat versus high fat.

For someone who is not keto, having a bit of fat with a carby meal is helpful because the insulin response would be a bit blunted compared to eating just the high carbs alone.

However that’s a blunted response on a comparative basis… it’s still a higher insulin response than you’d get from a low/no carb meal, and it still provokes insulin and therefore fat storage… so if you also do high fat in combination with that then boom – you have a recipe for big time fat storage.

(Consensus is Politics) #30

^^^this^^^
“DING!”

Let’s take low carb meal out of the equation, we all know that is healthiest. I also agree that the more you eat of anything, the more it’s going to spike your insulin (carbs the most, followed by protein, followed by fat). My issue is only with any implication that combining fat (high or otherwise) with carbs has some negative effect that would be absent if they were eaten separately (in equal amounts, let’s say separate meals).

…but that’s exactly it… that’s correct. That’s what happens.

But this was my concern…

(Bunny) #34

Bob Harper Says the #1 Key to Weight Loss Isn’t Diet or Exercise — It’s This “…“What you’re doing is you’re getting your body to burn fat for fuel, so that means you have to eliminate any other natural fuel source like carbohydrates and make sure you’re not eating any of those things, because once you do, you’re throwing your body back into burning those carbs, and then all the fat you’re consuming, your body will store the fat.”…” “…I really [recommend] going more for a balance, and not for an extreme," he said…”

Now hold that thought? …and watch these videos:

Always Hungry with Dr. David Ludwig

…and here

When I hear the word “Paleo” it makes me cringe!

What does this have to do with Paleo?

(Bunny) #36

Paleo is not keto! (protocols are different)

(Bunny) #37

I wonder what the actual diagnosis was? Some are born with hereditary congenital heart deficits which can become comorbid?

No, paleo is not necessarily keto. That’s why it makes you cringe - because it’s not keto?

(Bunny) #39

No, not just “keto” too many carbohydrates converting into sugar\glucose and we all know what happens (arterial and organ calcification) when you mix that with high fat or low fat intake!

References:

1. Vitamin K and Diabetes
    “…If there is excess fat, vitamin K may not be readily available to cells that require it to process glucose…”
  1. How is EF different from Cambridge Diet? (Heart Question)

Right, but what does that have to do with paleo?